ADVERTISEMENT

Officially off the Mushamp bandwagon

gpcocks

Sep 13, 2007
I just listened to his post-game press conference. He is very arrogant even after getting his ass whipped by a middleman in the ACC.

He gets a pass for 6 wins at best next season due to brutal schedule. What pisses most fans off is the lack of defense, which is purportedly his strong suit. Also he (and his staff) are really good recruiters, yet SCar won't crack the top 10 in its own conference. Is it time to cut bait yet again? This is Muschamp's last chance as a P5 head coach, and he's tanking.

I'm not in favor of firing Muschamp now ain't the time. But this ain't no way to live. We have too much invested right now and he can get it done but not with the soft attitude and the warm and fuzzy feeling he has for Jake Bentley.

Just can't fathom this team scoring points vs. clemson, yet barely crossing the 50 yesterday.
Next year will be shitty, and Muschamp kinda gets a pass b/c of the schedule. Year 5 has to be a breakthrough year, or peace out.

Reactions: Coq_de_Combat
Muschamp is safe through next season unless we go 3-9 or worse. 3-9 might make some discussion happen. I hate that, but it is what I believe is the case. Year 5, Muschamp will enter the season with both, he and Ray Tanner’s, futures on the line.

We can’t allow Ray to make another football hire if these next two seasons go the way we think they will go.

Muschamp is safe through next season unless we go 3-9 or worse. 3-9 might make some discussion happen. I hate that, but it is what I believe is the case. Year 5, Muschamp will enter the season with both, he and Ray Tanner’s, futures on the line.

We can’t allow Ray to make another football hire if these next two seasons go the way we think they will go.
This guy gets it.

I'm not in favor of firing Muschamp now ain't the time. But this ain't no way to live. We have too much invested right now and he can get it done but not with the soft attitude and the warm and fuzzy feeling he has for Jake Bentley.
So what Quarterback has Muschamp got it done with? Fuzzy feeling my Azz! Will Muschamp is a sorry football coach, who happened to luck up as a defensive coordinator under some great coaches and great programs!

So what Quarterback has Muschamp got it done with? Fuzzy feeling my Azz! Will Muschamp is a sorry football coach, who happened to luck up as a defensive coordinator under some great coaches and great programs!

Especially under Saban who is the defensive mastermind regardless of who is DC is.

Ray Tanner will not fire Muschamp bc doing so admits Tanner made a mistake in hiring him. It gets Tanners seat exponentially warmer. Tanner will ride the Muschamp train as long as possible.

This is not going to end well for anyone I’m afraid.

Yep. Honestly if Tanner fires Muschamp any good admin would fire Tanner right away. Not simply because of one bad hire but because he can’t be trusted to make another one.

Tanner’s seat will be hot anyway...but firing Muschamp would be the end for him...or at least should be.

Who's going to fire him? Ray? Yeah right.
Agree. He didn't even have the stones to fire Holbroke. He allowed him to resign and still gave him a buyout. He would've been justified in having security literally throw him out of the building and putting it on Twitter for ruining Carolina baseball. Yes, I'm being somewhat facetious. But by handing out those unearned bonuses, he's clearly dug his heels in and will support Muschamp until the bitter end -- which we all know is coming.

Unless somehow Muschamp takes another job....otherwise I agree. Who would hire him? I’d have a hard time seeing anyone. That’s when you know you’ve made a bad decision.
I mean if Muschamp is canned, then Ray will be forced into retirement and won't making any more hires.

Reactions: Gamecockben1979
Can only hope the new President takes names and cleans out the dead weight in the AD, but who knows? Muschamp is going nowhere as long as Rain Man is here, and neither is our football program. Yet another example of making one man bigger than the team. And a gd dirty dawg at that

Just remember we owe Steve Spurrier a big thank-you. The next time you think about criticizing Spurrier remember these post. 8-4 regular season and 9-4 record and 7-5 regular season and 7-6 record was a cause for celebration before Spurrier. You know it's a FACT. A winning season and just making a bowl game was a huge celebration. Don't even get me started on where the facilities are now and before the Spurrier era. Bitching about Saturday I get it. We have still won 5 of our last 7 bowl games. Bitch about not showing up Saturday is warranted. Thinking getting rid of Will at this point is ridiculous.

Just remember we owe Steve Spurrier a big thank-you. The next time you think about criticizing Spurrier remember these post. 8-4 regular season and 9-4 record and 7-5 regular season and 7-6 record was a cause for celebration before Spurrier. You know it's a FACT. A winning season and just making a bowl game was a huge celebration. Don't even get me started on where the facilities are now and before the Spurrier era. Bitching about Saturday I get it. We have still won 5 of our last 7 bowl games. Bitch about not showing up Saturday is warranted. Thinking getting rid of Will at this point is ridiculous.

Agree 100%.

The loss to UVA was awful, but that isn’t an indicator of a program in trouble.

Yep. Honestly if Tanner fires Muschamp any good admin would fire Tanner right away. Not simply because of one bad hire but because he can’t be trusted to make another one.

Tanner’s seat will be hot anyway...but firing Muschamp would be the end for him...or at least should be.
Tanner has more than Champ to fire! Frankie is on the one-way train also! Having the two money earning sports in the toilet at same time under the same AD plus just giving another extension to one of them? I think the one-way train tickets are almost sold out!

Reactions: Carolina4
He also understands that Ray is not committed to excellence, therefore, he is not either. Organizations usually follow the example of the leader.

I'm sure Ray's "not committed to excellence" is how he won 2 NCs. Eyeroll

Agree 100%.

The loss to UVA was awful, but that isn’t an indicator of a program in trouble.
No but there are a couple of indicators of problems. One being having people refuse to play after halftime. Another is the staff’s unwillingness to shuffle personnel to see if you can spark something.

But I will say this, the kids he has brought in are our better players, so there is a glimmer of hope.

For those of you wanting him gone, tell me who you’d hire. Nobody was knocking down the door to come here when we hired Muschamp (I don’t think he was anyone’s first choice). Besides that, when the former coach goes public and says it was a mess when he left, it doesn’t look good on the university to not give the new guy a fair amount of time to fix the issues.

There were obviously some inherited cancers on this team.

I'm sure Ray's "not committed to excellence" is how he won 2 NCs. Eyeroll
Those 2 national championships and Martin’s Final 4 fluke are really doing a lot for us right now aren’t they? We stink in men’s sports across the board now. I could not possibly care any less about those accolades from the past. I care about present and future. Ray Tanner is a terrible AD and that’s all that matters.

Reactions: Brace1
No but there are a couple of indicators of problems. One being having people refuse to play after halftime. Another is the staff’s unwillingness to shuffle personnel to see if you can spark something.

But I will say this, the kids he has brought in are our better players, so there is a glimmer of hope.

For those of you wanting him gone, tell me who you’d hire. Nobody was knocking down the door to come here when we hired Muschamp (I don’t think he was anyone’s first choice). Besides that, when the former coach goes public and says it was a mess when he left, it doesn’t look good on the university to not give the new guy a fair amount of time to fix the issues.

There were obviously some inherited cancers on this team.
I'm sure there is some young coaches out their looking for a chance or we can keep what we have and continue to put product on the field like saturday.. because you know Lincoln Riley was too young to be our head coach

Iowa State coach Campbell would be a great prospect. If you can win there you would have shot in the South. Commentators were saying he wins because he is only one playing Defense in the Big 12. Sounds like a good fit for SEC.

Reactions: A_F_Deerhunter
Agree. He didn't even have the stones to fire Holbroke. He allowed him to resign and still gave him a buyout. He would've been justified in having security literally throw him out of the building and putting it on Twitter for ruining Carolina baseball. Yes, I'm being somewhat facetious. But by handing out those unearned bonuses, he's clearly dug his heels in and will support Muschamp until the bitter end -- which we all know is coming.

To go off on a tangent, I'll start by saying I like and respect Tanner. He's a hell of a baseball coach, easily the best we've had.

But he's also clearly loyal to coaches, whether to a fault or not depends on perspective. My own is I'm not someone who believes you fire a coach in emotion or anger after a loss. Maybe I'm laid back, but I think we're too quick to pull triggers these days.

Anyway, the whole finger pointing at Tanner route makes me wonder whether it's good or bad to have a coach in the AD position.

On the one hand, they certainly know the pressures coaches face. And I would think they have a more realistic understanding of what goes into success, and could therefore judge more accurately whether or not a coaching change is in order.

On the other, maybe they don't have the emotional distance to be able to hold coaches fully accountable to the extent the more demanding fans demand.

In short, they know how hard it is to win. So maybe the best AD is someone who looks at everything as a business decision and wouldn't know a baseball bat from a tennis racket from a soccer ball.

Maybe the best way to do it is to have an AD who sets a standard of Ws and Ls and expect it to be met. X amount of wins in year 1, Y amount in year 2 and in year 3 and from then on the bar is Z amount of wins and if one falls short then one is shown the door and someone else is brought in.

I don't think that's the way to go, but I don't know that it ain't.

Reactions: robertfootball
I just listened to his post-game press conference. He is very arrogant even after getting his ass whipped by a middleman in the ACC.

He gets a pass for 6 wins at best next season due to brutal schedule. What pisses most fans off is the lack of defense, which is purportedly his strong suit. Also he (and his staff) are really good recruiters, yet SCar won't crack the top 10 in its own conference. Is it time to cut bait yet again? This is Muschamp's last chance as a P5 head coach, and he's tanking.

I think most fans understand that many of the defensive problems are due to playing so many true freshman. We were forced to play 5 true Freshman Defensive backs, 4 true freshman defensive linemen, and 2 converted offensive players. What's hard to understand is how the offense put up 35 points against Clemson, then crapped the bed against Akron and UVA.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT