ADVERTISEMENT

USC Net Report - 5 Jan

RileyCock

Jan 4, 2020
Columbia
The Good News: The days worry about whether USC's SOS would be good enough to get into the tournament are over.
The Bad News: The SOS will be so substantially good that only a really, really good team could go .500 or better in the SEC this year.

USC Current Ranking: 111 (The bubble is so far away that it looks like a dot)

Quality Wins: None (#43 UAB closest to Quad 1)
Quality Loses: Two (at #64 Clemson, v. #6 Auburn)
Bad Loses: Two (v. #105 Princeton, at #137 Coastal Carolina). None are Quad 4 and both are very close to Quad 2, which would remove the Bad Loss tag (Princeton needs top 100 and they've been in and out of the top 100, Coastal needs to crack the top 135). For the first time that I can remember, USC could end up with zero bad losses but still not be able to get in.

Remaining:

Quad 1 (9): at #73 Vanderbilt, at #9 Tennessee, at #73 Texas A&M, at #37 Mississippi State, v. #9 Tennessee, v. #16 Kentucky, v. #5 LSU, at #21 Alabama, at #6 Auburn
Quad 2 (5): v. #42 Florida, at #94 Arkansas, v. #73 Vanderbilt, at #126 Mississippi, v. #37 Mississippi State
Quad 3 (1): at #238 Georgia
Quad 4 (2): v. #238 Georgia, v. #237 Missouri

As you can see, the schedule is brutal. South Carolina will have to win six of the fourteen Quad 1 or Quad 2 games (and win the 3 other games) to even sniff the NCAA Tournament.

Prognosis: (Bias plays in). It's not going to happen. I believe this is not an overreaction to the Auburn loss.

1. First, the future schedule is too talented to let Carolina get away with playing defense the way they do. Sadly, Frank's Tombstone will read "Overhelp Defense" as time and time again the other team's guards run into the lane and away from the basket with no intention to shoot in order to pass it to big guy or 3-point shooter left alone by the overhelping defense.
2. Second, he blames #1 on the guards and then begins his revenge substitution pattern, which results in a merry-go-round of guys getting beat, overhelp, score, substitution that never allows the team to get into any offensive rhythm. #2 if basically how #1 kills both our offense and defense. Frank had done a pretty good job of limiting these substitutions during the non-conference schedule and actually not overhelping as much -- to include some really good stretches of zone defense. All of that was thrown out during the Auburn game and leads me to believe (ala Muschamp) Frank will always just be Frank.

In all, I hope I'm wrong and I'll continue to hope for a turnaround. I'd also love to hear someone tell me I am way off.

Reactions: Gamekem
"Revenge substitution pattern." That pretty much captures my main two issues with Frank's coaching style.

Reactions: Horseshoe 04
Get ready for 1-4 or 0-5 SEC start.
Auburn loss plus:

@Vandy (house of horrors, just beat @Arky)
@Utjr
UF (you never know with them)
@Arky

Best chance is UF.

Overall I agree with your assessment, I don't think they'll get it done. The SEC is really stacked this season and it doesn't help that we play both Auburn and Tennessee twice.

In most seasons what has cost us when it comes to post season has been the non-conference losses. Outside of Coastal, I think we did pretty good. Princeton will likely be the Ivy League representative (will become a decent loss)for the the tournament and the Clemson game has huge asterisk due to the amount of guys we were down.

The only thing that gives me the slightest bit of hope is that Martin teams have generally overachieved in SEC play. In the past 6 years(including the doomed Covid year of last season) the team has win 10 or more SEC games in 4 out of 6 years. As long as we don't lose any of the Georgia/Missouri games and we could ink out 6 more wins on top that, I think that could get us in based on that resume. But I just don't see the consistency to have any confidence it will happen.

We're pretty bad but we make up for it by being boring.

The FF was a curse.
But would you trade that final four run for making the tourney every 2 or 3 years with first or second round exits? I wouldn't. Time for Frank to go, but I wouldn't call the final four year a curse. At least we have something hanging in the rafters. That's more than most schools can say.

But would you trade that final four run for making the tourney every 2 or 3 years with first or second round exits? I wouldn't. Time for Frank to go, but I wouldn't call the final four year a curse. At least we have something hanging in the rafters. That's more than most schools can say.

A MBB team good enough for NCAAT appearances "every 2 or 3 years" would be something for a staff to recruit off of. The issue is, our staff doesn't recruit much - we basically wait until every other program gets theirs, then take from the leavings. So even if we went the FF every 2 or 3 years, I don't know if that would help - it might cause some serious elite prep talent to TRY to come to our program, but they would get chased off by our staff most likely.

But in normal program situations, making the NCAAT every 2 or 3 years would mean a MBB program that's a strong one, nd there would be the occasional NIT mixed in there too, I'm sure. It would mean top prospects coming to USC would have reasonable opportunities to have winning seasons, spending time in the top 25 rankings for a bit, and getting to experience the NCAAT. That would have the program in a MUCH better position than it has mostly been in under Coach Martin and his staff.....

I would now. When it happened, I thought Frank would be able to recruit at a much higher level. He basically got nothing out of it and we’ve been forced to keep him since then.

Reactions: Legendary Cock
The Good News: The days worry about whether USC's SOS would be good enough to get into the tournament are over.
The Bad News: The SOS will be so substantially good that only a really, really good team could go .500 or better in the SEC this year.

USC Current Ranking: 111 (The bubble is so far away that it looks like a dot)

Quality Wins: None (#43 UAB closest to Quad 1)
Quality Loses: Two (at #64 Clemson, v. #6 Auburn)
Bad Loses: Two (v. #105 Princeton, at #137 Coastal Carolina). None are Quad 4 and both are very close to Quad 2, which would remove the Bad Loss tag (Princeton needs top 100 and they've been in and out of the top 100, Coastal needs to crack the top 135). For the first time that I can remember, USC could end up with zero bad losses but still not be able to get in.

Remaining:

Quad 1 (9): at #73 Vanderbilt, at #9 Tennessee, at #73 Texas A&M, at #37 Mississippi State, v. #9 Tennessee, v. #16 Kentucky, v. #5 LSU, at #21 Alabama, at #6 Auburn
Quad 2 (5): v. #42 Florida, at #94 Arkansas, v. #73 Vanderbilt, at #126 Mississippi, v. #37 Mississippi State
Quad 3 (1): at #238 Georgia
Quad 4 (2): v. #238 Georgia, v. #237 Missouri

As you can see, the schedule is brutal. South Carolina will have to win six of the fourteen Quad 1 or Quad 2 games (and win the 3 other games) to even sniff the NCAA Tournament.

Prognosis: (Bias plays in). It's not going to happen. I believe this is not an overreaction to the Auburn loss.

1. First, the future schedule is too talented to let Carolina get away with playing defense the way they do. Sadly, Frank's Tombstone will read "Overhelp Defense" as time and time again the other team's guards run into the lane and away from the basket with no intention to shoot in order to pass it to big guy or 3-point shooter left alone by the overhelping defense.
2. Second, he blames #1 on the guards and then begins his revenge substitution pattern, which results in a merry-go-round of guys getting beat, overhelp, score, substitution that never allows the team to get into any offensive rhythm. #2 if basically how #1 kills both our offense and defense. Frank had done a pretty good job of limiting these substitutions during the non-conference schedule and actually not overhelping as much -- to include some really good stretches of zone defense. All of that was thrown out during the Auburn game and leads me to believe (ala Muschamp) Frank will always just be Frank.

In all, I hope I'm wrong and I'll continue to hope for a turnaround. I'd also love to hear someone tell me I am way off.
Great analysis….we went to the zone late in the second half against Auburn. Confused them, got to within 7 or 8 and had a couple of more opportunities to cut the lead further only to turn the ball over Then went back to the man defense and Auburn capitalizes. Does Frank not remember how that zone defense bear Duke and others on a final four run?

Well with a win today we pickup our first Quad 1 win (Vandy current net #69). This could offset the loss at Coastal or at least Princeton. I still believe this team needs to win at least 8 more SEC wins to sniff the tournament but this was a step in the right direction.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT