ADVERTISEMENT

Oklahoma QB Caleb Williams in the Portal

And now you see why the rules around amateurism were so rigid and absolute.

What started as actual legit students at universities competing to represent their school is now nothing more than a farm league for the NFL that has little to do with the school other than a logo.
It will get interesting as the the NIL rules evolve, watching as the WBB, women's volleyball, men's baseball etc., demand equal treatment and equal money; expensive law suits and chaos. I believe I read where they are already paying $50K to all the starting linemen at TA&M, wait until the 2nd and 3rd stringers demand their fair share. From our school's perspective, I expect Dawn will be involved with that soon if not already. It all just takes away from the sport for me, and it's only just begun ...

Reactions: DeBoer31
I agree but the NCAA has to take some blame, they could never master the art of equal enforcement for ALL schools, not just the underlings. It's out of their court now.
you are so right. I still marvel and Miami and UNC not getting the death penalty considering what went on. When they didn't act there....spelled doom for their organization.

I doubt Oklahoma would be outbid.Lots of oil money in Oklahoma.In the book Undefeated about Ok and their 47 game winning streak,it talked about how the predecessor to Bud Wilkinson named Jim Tatum had a drawer with 100k in cash back in the 40's to pay recruits.The first thing Bud Wilkinson did when he was named HC was to go look in that drawer,but not a penny was to be found.They certainly couldn't alert the authorities as the NCAA would have come down hard on them ,so they called an oilman named Eddie Chiles and started collecting money all over again.That book upset Wilkinson's family cause it made several references to Bud and Braniff Airline stewardi.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT