ADVERTISEMENT

Old sayings you heard while growing up

If you play with dogs, you get fleas.

This is a really old idea. An early English reference was first cited in 1612 by John Webster in his play "The White Devil." Act five, scene one, line 170: "For they that sleep with dogs, shall rise with fleas." Some claim it was first said in Latin by Seneca (54BC to 39AD): in Latin it is: qui cum canibus concumbunt cum pulicibus surgent. Ben Franklin didn't originate it, but didn't mind stealing it for Poor Richard's Almanack. "He that lieth down with dogs shall rise up with fleas"

I used to want my mom to go ahead with the whoopin'. She had more mercy than Dad.
Not me. When my mama got mad, she was/still is crazy. I remember her whooping my brother once when we were growing up. She whooped him so bad, even I was crying. She’d tell me to go bring her a hickory stick for our whoopings. It was hell trying to pick one out. If it was too small , it would piss her off even more. If it was too big, I was afraid it would break my bones 😂

• Haha
Reactions: TheReelEss
This is a really old idea. An early English reference was first cited in 1612 by John Webster in his play "The White Devil." Act five, scene one, line 170: "For they that sleep with dogs, shall rise with fleas." Some claim it was first said in Latin by Seneca (54BC to 39AD): in Latin it is: qui cum canibus concumbunt cum pulicibus surgent. Ben Franklin didn't originate it, but didn't mind stealing it for Poor Richard's Almanack. "He that lieth down with dogs shall rise up with fleas"
Turn that TV off before you start vacuuming so it doesn't take the color out of the TV. As a kid we believed that.

Don’t do as I do. Do as I say!

BECAUSE I said so

I wouldn’t ever want you to stop wanting

Not me. When my mama got mad, she was/still is crazy. I remember her whooping my brother once when we were growing up. She whooped him so bad, even I was crying. She’d tell me to go bring her a hickory stick for our whoopings. It was hell trying to pick one out. If it was too small , it would piss her off even more. If it was too big, I was afraid it would break my bones 😂

Yep. Picking out a switch was a delicate balance.

My son was very stubborn. I told him, you can be smart or you can be strong. You better pick one or you gonna be sore.

I'd make him do pushups with me if he couldn't be smart and follow the rules.

My favorite was
Me: "Mom, come here."
Mom: "No, you come here, it's closer!"

My Granny used to say,” Don’t mess with that girl, or you’ll catch something that Ajax and turpentine won’t take off “.
My Daddy always said that a hard head makes for a sore ass. And he said,” Son, if you can’t be told anything, you just gotta learn the hard way “.

I miss him terribly.
My dad said if I opened my mouth again he put something on me that Ajax wouldn't take off. I never tested him cause Marines, but I imagine that would have been a Hell of an ass whoopin.

Don’t put all your eggs in one basket

don’t count your chickens until they hatch

Turn that TV off before you start vacuuming so it doesn't take the color out of the TV. As a kid we believed that.
Ya’ll remember when your Mom would turn the mixer on and the TV screen would start rolling?

or- the UHF and VHF dial? Back before REMOTES!?! When I was a little kid I WAS the remote!!

As a kid, if I ever did anything remotely bad, my mother would always find out about it. I'd ask her how she found out and she'd always say, "A little birdie told me". If I could've found him I would've shot him with my BB gun.

Reactions: hillstosea
To borrow a line from Bill Cosby - My mother must have been an expert on pigstys, because she would always come in my room and declare
"this room looks lie a pigsty.

Used to work with a lot of older guys in my late teens/early twenties, and some of the things I picked up are things I still hear occasionally today.

Hotter than two rats f*cking in a wool sock

Like "two midgets arm wrestling" or "two midgets fighting for air" (reference to boobs bouncing under a shirt or butt cheeks jiggling in pants) 😂

That's as f'ed up as a soup sandwich

That's as f'ed up as a football bat.

The devil is beating his wife (grandmother used to say that when it rained while the sun was out)

Not an old saying or anything particularly special, but my dad always told me and my siblings to "knock it off" when we were getting too raucous. It never came across to me as gruff or mean, as dad is neither of those. He just meant we needed to settle down. Now, when I tell my kids to knock it off, my wife looks at me like I just committed child abuse.

You could break a gd anvil iron boy!

All that glitters is not gold.

It is hotter than a man burning stumps .

Confucius says he who cuts his own firewood gets warm twice.

Reactions: section907
"What you do speaks so loudly, I can't hear a word you're saying."

Be a great response to trash talking wouldn't it?

My grandparents were farmers and they watched the weather constantly. Whenever it was going to rain they would say "It's coming up a cloud".

My dad always said if your are going to be stupid, you gotta be tough.

Reactions: duckcock2.0.0
Something bad the matter.
“When you didn’t show up, I was worried something was bad the matter.“

Speaking of lazy men, my grandfather would say, “He wouldn’t work in a pie factory” [meaning, if the job was eating pies].

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT