ADVERTISEMENT

On a different subject, I wonder why USC doesn't have a women's gymnastics team? ***

Carolina went with Equestrian in lieu of Gymnastics. More in keeping with the thriving equestrian culture in some areas of the state (Aiken, Camden), I assume.

U of KY Gymnastics in lieu of Equestrian and they have a thriving equestrian culture in some areas of the state with their mint julep...

Carolina is the only Division I swim team in the state of South Carolina, yet majority of the best swimmers of high school and USA Swimming choice to go else where, where they could do really well...

Carolina ended up picking up a very good local swimmer down the road from Dreher for the women's team for next year...

Her father used to be Carolina's Rugby's coach fo r13 years and retired to take an assistant coaching role and her mother was a UNC swimmer years ago...

https://gamecocksonline.com/sports/swimming-and-diving/roster

Last edited:
I know last year we started a club gymnastics team so maybe in a few years that can grow and down the road lead to a program. But still, only 8 out of the 14 SEC teams have a team so it's not like we are alone.
But those teams play for an SEC Championship. They include the premier athletic programs in the league. Women's Gymnastics is something we should be pursuing.

The SEC has several EXCELLENT gymnastic programs. USC would have a very difficult time fielding a competitive gymnastics program starting from scratch? I look for USC to discontinue MSOC when Berson retires. The SEC just isn't big in that sport. Perhaps we will begin a new program then, who knows?

Carolina went with Equestrian in lieu of Gymnastics. More in keeping with the thriving equestrian culture in some areas of the state (Aiken, Camden), I assume.
That may be part of it but another part is numbers. Equestrian team has 40 or more members. This brings a lot to IX compliance. Taters do this with rowing where they may have 100 on the roster.
Gymnastics would seem to make sense with the conference but I do not know roster/scholarship numbers and cost

Equestrian and now beach volleyball (which ended up in lieu of women’s lacrosse which would have started around 2010). Equestrian program EXTREMELY successful with multiple national championships around 2004-2008, still very competitive now.

What's silly is sponsoring a varsity sport that your conference doesn't recognize.

A reference to men's soccer, I presume. You would be right if USC introduced men's soccer after joining the SEC, however Berson's was a well established, nationally prominent program years before USC joined the SEC. In fact, the program's lone national championship appearance was in 1993 - one year after Carolina joined the SEC.

That's not a program you kill just because the Mississippi States and Auburns of the world don't have the foresight to sponsor the world's most popular sport.

Reactions: okccock
A reference to men's soccer, I presume. You would be right if USC introduced men's soccer after joining the SEC, however Berson's was a well established, nationally prominent program years before USC joined the SEC. In fact, the program's lone national championship appearance was in 1993 - one year after Carolina joined the SEC.

That's not a program you kill just because the Mississippi States and Auburns of the world don't have the foresight to sponsor the world's most popular sport.
I'll simplify it for you. If it's reasonably foreseeable that the SEC is going to recognize a sport as a varsity sport, then keep it. Otherwise, devote your resources to a sport already so recognized. I know we might disagree. I'm sure we'll both get on with life.

We need to keep the soccer program. Number one, there are efficiencies in having both a women's and men's soccer program, and as noted above, it is the most popular worldwide sport and USC has a lot of international students.

We need to keep the soccer program. Number one, there are efficiencies in having both a women's and men's soccer program, and as noted above, it is the most popular worldwide sport and USC has a lot of international students.
I believe that is a reasonable position, but not for perpetuity. The SEC will probably make men's soccer a championship sport eventually as the sport's place is undisputed. But if it were certain than this would never happen, I would not be in favor of keeping soccer if doing so prevented adding a championship sport.

Reactions: okccock

Can't understand both aTm and UF not having men's soccer. Soccer is the # 1 sport in every Hispanic nation on the globe and these two schools are in states with huge Hispanic populations.

Can't understand both aTm and UF not having men's soccer. Soccer is the # 1 sport in every Hispanic nation on the globe and these two schools are in states with huge Hispanic populations.
Atlanta is one of the biggest hotbeds of soccer in the country and neither UGA or GT have programs

Reactions: 67gamecock
I'll simplify it for you. If it's reasonably foreseeable that the SEC is going to recognize a sport as a varsity sport, then keep it. Otherwise, devote your resources to a sport already so recognized. I know we might disagree. I'm sure we'll both get on with life.

No need to simplify it for me, but I could do without the condescending tone. You're right, we'll both get on with life. Cheers.

We used to have a gymnastics team back in the 70s. When I’d play basketball in the PE Center, they’d come thru to practice and I’d get my tongue stepped on.

Reactions: Freddie.B.Cocky
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT