ADVERTISEMENT

One and done-ers should all quit playing right now. Why, what do they have to prove? Why, they might

psycock

Jan 20, 2001
get hurt? After all, it`s all about them, right? Wish college hoops would let them go straight pro or they would have to stay 3 yrs., just like baseball and football. It is a farce.

Reactions: king ward
Let them go on to the nba if they are good enough. One and dones are not there to get an education but to been seen, auditioning for the draft. I dont watch the nba. It has really changed since Magic and Bird and Michael. No defense now.

get hurt? After all, it`s all about them, right? Wish college hoops would let them go straight pro or they would have to stay 3 yrs., just like baseball and football. It is a farce.
The NBA has given a proposal to the players' union to lower the draft age from 19 to 18. Based on the union's previous stance, they are expected to approve the age change.
Now, will such a change be accompanied by a rule similar to baseball: leave out of high school or stay in college a specified number of years? We will see. I can't imagine the players' union would approve a 3 year period like baseball. Maybe they will approve two...if it ever gets to that.
College basketball is never going back to what it used to be, with the top players coming in for 3 or 4 years. The preparation, training, and year-round play have produced players who are college-star ready by the time they are juniors in high school.

I would have been pissed to have spent $2500 for a ticket, only reason people paid was to see him

Sometimes they don’t have to prove anything. If that’s a reason they play, sure, go ahead and quit. For most of them, I’d say they got where they are because they are competitors and want to play. I think you’ll see them keep playing.

One and Doners should become none and doners. Virtually all of them are going to the NBA regardless if they enroll at Duke, Kentucky, or Savannah State and North Greenville. I find more interesting watching good teams play each other than any of the elite teams playing. At least the pros have a draft system where the bad teams get first choice which should lead to a more balanced competition.

Since the NBA only drafts 62 players a year including many foreigners, it won't change the college game imo. It didn't when Kobe, Garnett, O'Neal, etc. did it.

It just gives others a chance to shine in college. I hope they do this. But I will say this. It dies hurt the NBA a tad because they will lose many college fans who may have followed a kid from college. And it would get folks like Adidas out of the college pay for play game.

Once the NBA lowers the age limit to 18 they need to make the G league their minor league. If you don't want to go to college enter the G league. If you go to college you're in for three years like football.

Reactions: king ward
It was surprising to see the NBA move to one-year in college (and/or 19 yr old) requirement in the first place. Time machine material when you look at how the world is moving these days.

For those especially gifted athletes with little left to prove to gaurantee their draft slot, I can't really blame them. Could they overcome an injury? Probably. But then again any reluctance because of a fluke injury could also cost them millions. And no matter the sport, you know where this all got started? It all became center in people's mind with the events one fall Saturday afternoon in Columbia, SC. The athletic world saw a man who was destined for a great pro career have it taken away in an instant with Lattimore's shocking injury. That one incident changed the thinking on the issue forever.

For those especially gifted athletes with little left to prove to gaurantee their draft slot, I can't really blame them. Could they overcome an injury? Probably. But then again any reluctance because of a fluke injury could also cost them millions. And no matter the sport, you know where this all got started? It all became center in people's mind with the events one fall Saturday afternoon in Columbia, SC. The athletic world saw a man who was destined for a great pro career have it taken away in an instant with Lattimore's shocking injury. That one incident changed the thinking on the issue forever.
I think Lattimore's injury was the straw that broke the camel's back. Willis Mcgahee's injury in the '02 Orange Bowl got that conversation started.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT