ADVERTISEMENT

One could argue the reason we trounced UNC is that they play in such a weak conference and we are in a big boy conference.

TN-Gamecock

May 10, 2002
Erwin, TN/Originally from Greer
I have to wonder if the relative ease of beating the tarheels has something to do with us playing UGA, UF, A&M, UK, UT, Auburn, etc I get Clemson took us to the woodshed, but my goodness, UNC was supposed to beat us by 2 touchdowns...Who would have UNC beaten in the SEC if they were in the East? Maybe Vandy, but no other team....imo

Reactions: Joe MorrisonLives
I have to wonder if the relative ease of beating the tarheels has something to do with us playing UGA, UF, A&M, UK, UT, Auburn, etc I get Clemson took us to the woodshed, but my goodness, UNC was supposed to beat us by 2 touchdowns...Who would have UNC beaten in the SEC if they were in the East? Maybe Vandy, but no other team....imo
Isn’t this the case every season? Yet, when was the last time we best an ACC team before UNC?

This was more of a case of a team excited to be there because they exceeded expectations against a team that expected to be somewhere much better before the season started. See it all the time. It’s not 100% proof, but in many cases, the team that wants to be there wins a lot of bowl games. UNC fits that description very well.

Isn’t this the case every season? Yet, when was the last time we best an ACC team before UNC?

This was more of a case of a team excited to be there because they exceeded expectations against a team that expected to be somewhere much better before the season started. See it all the time. It’s not 100% proof, but in many cases, the team that wants to be there wins a lot of bowl games. UNC fits that description very well.
Sounds as though the years we lost to Virginia and UNC the ACC had the better conference by his rationale. Somehow I doubt we or UNC are the measuring sticks of our respective conferences.

Yeah that 1-5 records in Bowls before the CFP games says Hi. Lost to some group of 5 teams. Agreed with whoever says if a team wants to be there or not.

UNC game was mostly complete shock. They prepared for Zeb, who would of thought our WR would play such a large role at QB. I imagine if you would have played UNC with film for what we did with DK, it would have been closer.

We had a good game plan that they did not expect and never could adjust to. They obviously had no idea they might see Joyner at QB. I read that the only time Joyner practiced at WR was when media were allowed into practice. I think I read their defense ranked 89th while playing in the ACC. And wasn't Howell considered a high 1st rounder before this season? This game sure didn't help that stock.

The SEC isn’t exactly representing well until last night in bowl games, five wins since 12/30 has made the conference bowl record much better. Ole Miss has a chance tonight, LSU Tuesday night, then a guaranteed win for the SEC on 1/10/22.

This season the ACC was crap (FACT) but the old SEC vs ACC schedule effect is cop out to me.

We beat unc because we finally have a head coach who gives a d##n and knows how to prepare.

we got trounced by a team that didn't make the ACC championship game

We just keep evolving Beamer Ball. The basketball conference teams are nowhere near ready for that. Yes, playing in a football conference prepares us for matchups, but Beamer Ball is the real secret sauce (along with Dukes, of course)

Or 44-16, Clemson over Bama? This whole thread is dumb.

Come on. Kudos to Clemson for what they have done but they are the lone wolf in that conference. Every year Bama, UGA, aTm, LSU and Florida (not recently) are a threat to win the whole thing. Once in a while, Auburn slides in.

ACC? Just Clemson. Thought for a while UNCheat or Miami might get there. There is no one close in your conference. FSU is still a dumpster fire.

If we had been in the ACC during the Spurrier years we would have won that conference 5 or 6 times.

Come on. Kudos to Clemson for what they have done but they are the lone wolf in that conference. Every year Bama, UGA, aTm, LSU and Florida (not recently) are a threat to win the whole thing. Once in a while, Auburn slides in.

ACC? Just Clemson. Thought for a while UNCheat or Miami might get there. There is no one close in your conference. FSU is still a dumpster fire.

If we had been in the ACC during the Spurrier years we would have won that conference 5 or 6 times.
I was just mocking the "we won because our conference is better" notion. I think you won because you were glad to be there, UNC was flat, and your coaches had a good gameplan using DJ. You dominated a legit opponent. Congrats. Don't give the conference credit for your successes.

Reactions: rogue cock
I was just mocking the "we won because our conference is better" notion. I think you won because you were glad to be there, UNC was flat, and your coaches had a good gameplan using DJ. You dominated a legit opponent. Congrats. Don't give the conference credit for your successes.

Fair enough. We won because we flat out coached them while playing kids that rarely play. Pretty strong statement for our future. We'll see what happens when Beamer gets his kids in.

Reactions: boykinlp
This season the ACC was crap (FACT) but the old SEC vs ACC schedule effect is cop out to me.

We beat unc because we finally have a head coach who gives a d##n and knows how to prepare.
This does not explain the 6-7 games where we looked like total sh#t this year, though? Not talking just A&M, UT, Missouri, Clemson either.....we looked that bad against Vandy, Troy, ECU.

This does not explain the 6-7 games where we looked like total sh#t this year, though? Not talking just A&M, UT, Missouri, Clemson either.....we looked that bad against Vandy, Troy, ECU.

You need some of this...

giphy.gif

• Love
Reactions: GCDC1959
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT