ADVERTISEMENT

ORTH & NUNEZ

Cocky4SC

Dec 2, 2014
Spartanburg SC
IMHO, you have to play both. How any coach with a pulse seemed to think that Mitch was a better suitor to run our offense than Orth is beyond any logic that I can come up with... With that being said, we need to play Nunez as well. YOU HAVE TO HAVE A MOBILE QB IN COLLEGE FOOTBALL NOW TO BE ABLE TO COMPETE WITH THE SPEED AND ATHLETICISM OF THE DEFENSES NOW.

There is a reason that others in the SEC are progressing faster than we are and the results are being shown in the W-L columns. You team is built around your QB...

IMHO, you have to play both. How any coach with a pulse seemed to think that Mitch was a better suitor to run our offense than Orth is beyond any logic that I can come up with... With that being said, we need to play Nunez as well. YOU HAVE TO HAVE A MOBILE QB IN COLLEGE FOOTBALL NOW TO BE ABLE TO COMPETE WITH THE SPEED AND ATHLETICISM OF THE DEFENSES NOW.

There is a reason that others in the SEC are progressing faster than we are and the results are being shown in the W-L columns. You team is built around your QB...

So spurrier isn't a coach with a pulse? I get hatted on here for pulling for USC, but yall can post this crap. We will finish strong. Trust the hbc

So spurrier isn't a coach with a pulse? I get hatted on here for pulling for USC, but yall can post this crap. We will finish strong. Trust the hbc

I ask you the same question... Does Spurrier have a pulse? How can you honestly say that what you have seen of Mitch that gave any indication that he was better than ORTH. SOS promised Mitch that if he came to SC, he would still be coaching. SOS played favoritism/ seniority on the starting position. This would be similar to an NFL team drafting a QB in the first round, paying him a bunch of money, and then signing an undrafted guy and starting him over the guy you just invested in. *think Cleveland Browns* Again, I support Spurrier, but his evaluations have not been to great of late...

I have say the few plays I saw from Nunez really left me wanting more. With our limited amount of skill players I'd think a spread with him running it would be a great way to put points on the board especially in the red zone. Plus if this is going to be a mediocre team we might as well take some bumps letting him get experience.

Reactions: bmhood1984
I have say the few plays I saw from Nunez really left me wanting more. With our limited amount of skill players I'd think a spread with him running it would be a great way to put points on the board especially in the red zone. Plus if this is going to be a mediocre team we might as well take some bumps letting him get experience.

Kentucky was giving up a bunch on the outside running the ball... Nunez should be used in the redzone... no questions asked. Put him a package together and go from there. Let the guy go make a play. That is what he tried to do right before half when the pressure came on the hail mary. The kid has some serious speed... LET HIM USE IT!

I ask you the same question... Does Spurrier have a pulse? How can you honestly say that what you have seen of Mitch that gave any indication that he was better than ORTH. SOS promised Mitch that if he came to SC, he would still be coaching. SOS played favoritism/ seniority on the starting position. This would be similar to an NFL team drafting a QB in the first round, paying him a bunch of money, and then signing an undrafted guy and starting him over the guy you just invested in. *think Cleveland Browns* Again, I support Spurrier, but his evaluations have not been to great of late...

Cocky...let me ask you a question. Were you sneaking in to pre-season practices? You know, the ones that were closed to the public. Otherwise, you don't have a clue as to whether Mitch or Orth looked better before the season started. Obviously, the offensive coaching staff thought Mitch did.
While I agree that Orth has looked better the first 2 games, and I now prefer him as our QB, don't make it sound like our coaches don't have a clue.

Cocky...let me ask you a question. Were you sneaking in to pre-season practices? You know, the ones that were closed to the public. Otherwise, you don't have a clue as to whether Mitch or Orth looked better before the season started. Obviously, the offensive coaching staff thought Mitch did.
While I agree that Orth has looked better the first 2 games, and I now prefer him as our QB, don't make it sound like our coaches don't have a clue.

I'm sorry, but unless Mitch went brain dead since practice and totally forgot how to throw a ball or even show control of the offense, then I will stand by my opinion. Look back at my previous post last week after the UNC game, I was saying lets see a little more from Mitch in the Kentucky game, but I saw all I needed in the first four or five possessions. His throws were weak with little to no zip on them. He missed WIDE OPEN receivers and many of his throws were not even close to anyone. The longest pass he hit was thrown up for grabs that I still do not know how it didn't get picked off. Mitch looked more like the walk-on and Orth was the four star recruit given the sample size from Saturday.

I'm sorry, but unless Mitch went brain dead since practice and totally forgot how to throw a ball or even show control of the offense, then I will stand by my opinion. Look back at my previous post last week after the UNC game, I was saying lets see a little more from Mitch in the Kentucky game, but I saw all I needed in the first four or five possessions. His throws were weak with little to no zip on them. He missed WIDE OPEN receivers and many of his throws were not even close to anyone. The longest pass he hit was thrown up for grabs that I still do not know how it didn't get picked off. Mitch looked more like the walk-on and Orth was the four star recruit given the sample size from Saturday.

You're more than welcome to stand by your opinion all you want, but again, neither you or myself, have a clue as to how the 2 looked during practice. No offense to you, I'll take Spurrier's opinion over yours.

Reactions: GCMD2
You're more than welcome to stand by your opinion all you want, but again, neither you or myself, have a clue as to how the 2 looked during practice. No offense to you, I'll take Spurrier's opinion over yours.

Let me ask you a question regarding this: Did anything that you saw from Mitch say that he looked to a starter? How about Orth? Again, small sample size, but one carried themselves with poise and didn't fold like a wet paper bag, the other was leading us to three and outs. If our coaches couldn't see this is practices, then my question is what were we doing in practice?

Let me ask you a question regarding this: Did anything that you saw from Mitch say that he looked to a starter? How about Orth? Again, small sample size, but one carried themselves with poise and didn't fold like a wet paper bag, the other was leading us to three and outs. If our coaches couldn't see this is practices, then my question is what were we doing in practice?

Now Cocky...I've read your posts in the past and have always thought that, most of the time, they were insightful.
How often have you heard the story of someone really performing in practice, but not doing so well in games. Or the ones that stunk it up in practice, but looked like all stars in the game.

Reactions: GCMD2
You are not a coach. You are a fair weather fan that thinks he knows more then a Heisman trophy winning,National Championship winning and South Carolinas all time winningest coach and you have the conceit to think you know more then him? Mitch got the start because he outplayed the others in camp. He had a shaky first game but won it. In his second game he got hurt before he could play more and let us see how he would progress thru the game. If you were a coach you would have benched Connor Shaw after he stunk it up in his first game wouldnt you? Yeah you would have. Love you monday morning Qbs and coaches. Bottom line you look idiotic questioning our coaches.

Now Cocky...I've read your posts in the past and have always thought that, most of the time, they were insightful.
How often have you heard the story of someone really performing in practice, but not doing so well in games. Or the ones that stunk it up in practice, but looked like all stars in the game.

I understand where you are coming from, just hard to imagine that a kid who could throw it all over the field in high school, can't make the same type throws now. I thought that when SOS was talking about the qb competition being close was just to fire up Mitch, similar to how SOS has done in the past to get his QB to perform. As it appears now, it was a close competition that could have gone in Orth's favor... Who would have thought that SOS would be starting a walk-on in his eleventh season as coach.. I know I didn't...

The funny thing is that everyone always thinks SOS is using coachspeak or being cryptic. The man speaks the truth about 90 prct of time.

Reactions: FORKCOCK
The funny thing is that everyone always thinks SOS is using coachspeak or being cryptic. The man speaks the truth about 90 prct of time.

You are not a coach. You are a fair weather fan that thinks he knows more then a Heisman trophy winning,National Championship winning and South Carolinas all time winningest coach and you have the conceit to think you know more then him? Mitch got the start because he outplayed the others in camp. He had a shaky first game but won it. In his second game he got hurt before he could play more and let us see how he would progress thru the game. If you were a coach you would have benched Connor Shaw after he stunk it up in his first game wouldnt you? Yeah you would have. Love you monday morning Qbs and coaches. Bottom line you look idiotic questioning our coaches.

USC-1 Great 15th post...

1) This is a DISCUSSION BOARD. This is where we DISCUSS everything from previous games, recruiting, and yes even question coaches... You don't agree with what is posted then that is your right.
2) I do not coach. I yell like the coach sitting in my seat in Williams Brice. I have for over twenty five years...
3) We agree Mitch's first start was shaky, but he didn't win the game for us- he just didn't lose it either. Please don't think that he did a bunch to win that game. The defense won that game. Let me correct that S.Moore did with the two interceptions and then Carson's run. Did Mitch manage the game? Yes. He didn't turn the ball over, although there was the dropped pick 6 that I still don't know how UNCheat didn't take that to the house.
4) If you think that he would have "progressed" during the Kentucky game, I am interested in understanding what gave you that thought. I can only go by what I saw. I saw a guy who didn't throw a catchable ball. I saw a guy that looked like a deer in the headlights. I saw a guy whose passes should have been picked off numerous times.
5) You think I look idiotic questioning our coaches after a game where we got blown off our own freaking field in the first half, and who lets their own ego and pride get in the way thinking that we have to throw the ball all over the field inside the redzone, while we were getting five and six yards every time we ran the ball.
6) We are paying our staff large sums of money to produce. If they can't- then it is like any other business. Changes have to be made.

USC-1 Great 15th post...

1) This is a DISCUSSION BOARD. This is where we DISCUSS everything from previous games, recruiting, and yes even question coaches... You don't agree with what is posted then that is your right.
2) I do not coach. I yell like the coach sitting in my seat in Williams Brice. I have for over twenty five years...
3) We agree Mitch's first start was shaky, but he didn't win the game for us- he just didn't lose it either. Please don't think that he did a bunch to win that game. The defense won that game. Let me correct that S.Moore did with the two interceptions and then Carson's run. Did Mitch manage the game? Yes. He didn't turn the ball over, although there was the dropped pick 6 that I still don't know how UNCheat didn't take that to the house.
4) If you think that he would have "progressed" during the Kentucky game, I am interested in understanding what gave you that thought. I can only go by what I saw. I saw a guy who didn't throw a catchable ball. I saw a guy that looked like a deer in the headlights. I saw a guy whose passes should have been picked off numerous times.
5) You think I look idiotic questioning our coaches after a game where we got blown off our own freaking field in the first half, and who lets their own ego and pride get in the way thinking that we have to throw the ball all over the field inside the redzone, while we were getting five and six yards every time we ran the ball.
6) We are paying our staff large sums of money to produce. If they can't- then it is like any other business. Changes have to be made.
This post is legit! I am with you all the way great post

I like Spurrier, but he is stubborn. If Spurrier changes QB's in the Auburn game and plays Connor Shaw instead of Garcia, we win that game. I think if Orth started instead of Mitch, we have a better shot of winning...

None of us do, but one thing that may give some indication how practices may have gone is the reaction of the other offensive players to the two QBs when they are on the field. I may be wrong, but it seemed they looked and played with more confidence when Orth was on the field.

USC-1 Great 15th post...

lol. Yeah my 15th post since 1998 before this board was in existence. You can discuss all you want but so can I. Of course you can question Spurrier to but hey, if you want to show your ignorance please continue.

You are making a stupid statement about SPurrier's evaluations.
I thought all real Gamecocks fans knew that Connor Mitch(--all 4 years) had a QB career off the charts before coming here . Now, I will admit that Perry Orth seems to be flowing into the college game playing faster/better. We have a short sample of both QBs today 9/14/2015. I do agree that Perry looks good IN THE ACTUAL GAME. Please don't' get me wrong; I also would LIKE Perry to stay as QB-even when Connor comes back. That's until further notice. But to say that Connor Mitch could not ever have eventually done something after another game is silly.
I personally would like Perry Orth to play QB; and I would like a determined Nunez to be used ,too, against UGA, Sept 19, 2015. Keep UGA off balance; I'd like us to orchestrate that. But to go around saying that Spurrier is a blockhead for even trying Connor Mitch in there is to deny a Hall of fame college player AND future coach the benefit of the doubt. Spurrier has done too much for this program to not give him a bit more benefit of the doubt than THAT !!!
Go Perry Orth/ Go Lorenzo Nunez: let's B E L I E V E !

Last edited:
Johnny got hurt. Just like Mitch

lol. Yeah my 15th post since 1998 before this board was in existence. You can discuss all you want but so can I. Of course you can question Spurrier to but hey, if you want to show your ignorance please continue.

You still can't answer me original question to you: what have you seen that gives any indication that Mitch should have been starting over Orth....

You are making a stupid statement about SPurrier's evaluations.
I thought all real Gamecocks fans knew that Connor Mitch(--all 4 years) had a QB career off the charts before coming here . Now, I will admit that Perry Orth seems to be flowing into the college game playing faster/better. We have a short sample of both QBs today 9/14/2015. I do agree that Perry looks good IN THE ACTUAL GAME. Please don't' get me wrong; I also would LIKE Perry to stay as QB-even when Connor comes back. That's until further notice. But to say that Connor Mitch could not ever have eventually done something after another game is silly.
I personally would like Perry Orth to play QB; and I would like a determined Nunez to be used ,too, against UGA, Sept 19, 2015. Keep UGA off balance; I'd like us to orchestrate that. But to go around saying that Spurrier is a blockhead for even trying Connor Mitch in there is to deny a Hall of fame college player AND future coach the benefit of the doubt. Spurrier has done too much for this program to not give him a bit more benefit of the doubt than THAT !!!
Go Perry Orth/ Go Lorenzo Nunez: let's B E L I E V E !

Clifford- Mitch is like many of the QBs that SOs has brought in that doesn't appear to be able to adapt to the college game. NOTHING he did in the game and half that he played showed he could handle being "the guy". I know a lot of schools wanted him. He put up great numbers in HS. There is no denying that. But high school ended three years ago for him. To question our coaches evaluation is fair to do. We have had a lot more misses at the qb position than we have had hits in SOS eleven seasons here.

Do you personally feel that SOS has made great evaluations specifically at the QB position?

I would like to see all of the remaining quarterbacks play, asap. We know they were close in practice. However, we have witnessed a difference when the lights come on. The one thing for sure we can't do is turn the ball over, if we are going to have a chance. Who is that QB?

You still can't answer me original question to you: what have you seen that gives any indication that Mitch should have been starting over Orth....
I dont answer your questions. I'm the teacher. Spurrier said he should start and thats good enough for me.

I dont answer your questions. I'm the teacher. Spurrier said he should start and thats good enough for me.

If you have never questioned anything SOS has done then you are in a category of your own. And what have you taught other than you can beat your chest and make a point but if someone ask about why you think a certain way you act like a clown.

If you have never questioned anything SOS has done then you are in a category of your own. And what have you taught other than you can beat your chest and make a point but if someone ask about why you think a certain way you act like a clown.
A clown is funny. You are a clown. Never coached a day in your life but yet you think you know better? How much time have you spent on the field? How much time have you evaluated these young men? What are your credentials? How many plays have you designed? You watch on TV and you think you know better? You wouldnt know a trap play from a dive. You buddy are a message board clown.Dumb as dirt. You better check your own pulse bro.

I don't think Spurrier would play Mitch if he didn't think he could win with him...I don't care how bad of a coach you think Spurrier is, that just doesn't make sense.

And it's obvious that he liked both Orth and Mitch...it came down to the wire. Obviously, Mitch did something in practice that he didn't do in the game...and Orth has a deficiency that we haven't had enough time to see...

But I'm happy moving forward with Orth...

A clown is funny. You are a clown. Never coached a day in your life but yet you think you know better? How much time have you spent on the field? How much time have you evaluated these young men? What are your credentials? How many plays have you designed? You watch on TV and you think you know better? You wouldnt know a trap play from a dive. You buddy are a message board clown.Dumb as dirt. You better check your own pulse bro.

Not sure why this is turning into a pissing contest... I as well as others are evaluating the product that we see on the field. We are doing this on a DISCUSSION BOARD. I didn't know we needed a certain level of credentials to comment on our QB situation and our coaches. I am evaluating what I saw sitting in the stands at the game. I watched Mitch miss open receiver after open receiver, I saw him over throw, under throw, and throw balls that fluttered and should have been picked off several times in only a few series. I have also supported Spurrier and still do. However, it is fair to question the evaluations that were made of Mitch and Orth and discuss the unknown of what had separated them in practices. I understand Mitch got hurt, but NOTHING he had shown proved he should be a starter for an SEC school. And if we were really honest about the whole situation, I am not sure that we would have had a chance to come back in the second half if he was under center. I hope he has a full recovery soon, and wish him the best, but for the benefit of our team, we need to go another route.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT