ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Anybody bought a new central A-C unit lately? We're being told . . .

67gamecock

Oct 3, 2000
Lexington, SC
that, with the new energy efficient ratings, when for example, you set the thermostat at, say 75, and then in the middle of a 100 degree + day you set it down to, say 72, the units today are not designed to pull down 3 degrees or more until evening or when it cools off later - 8PM or so. Can anybody confirm this? Just asking.

Reactions: vehemon
Kind of a strange question. The energy efficient ratings are not going to prevent your home from cooling faster. It depends on a massive amount of variables.
  1. Is the AC acceptable for the square footage of your house?
  2. Is your home bleeding your cooler air? (Winterize/Summerize)?
  3. Are there any blockages from your pump? New/newish fliters?
  4. Are their any perofrmance problems with your pump?
  5. Any leaks with the air transit?
  6. No problem with the ac coils?
72 on a 100 degree day is pushing it but shouldn't be a big deal.
I had to replace one of my acs a few months ago and I have it set at 75 during the day.
If we have company on Saturday I'll set it to 71-72 and it will only take 1-2 hours to get there on a 95-98 day.

If you are dealing with a new AC and you don't have a problem with 1-5...
Either you chose or was given a really crappy AC

Trustworthy home technicians are EXTREMELY hard to come by. Unless you have history with this company, they are trying to talk themselves out of more work.

I put in a brand new unit in February for my lake house. It is a two ton unit and cools 1,500 sf. I can confirm that one set, it is very difficult to get below the targeted temp, on a hot day, until the evening.

Thanks guys for the help and input. Now, if we can just settle down to 'cool' summer temps in the Midlands, say 91-93! :)
I moved into an older house two years ago... It's big and full of holes... Until things get cleaned up/summerized... close vents and doors to rooms you aren't using and buy a few standing fans for key locations in your house. :)

Reactions: redrogers
that, with the new energy efficient ratings, when for example, you set the thermostat at, say 75, and then in the middle of a 100 degree + day you set it down to, say 72, the units today are not designed to pull down 3 degrees or more until evening or when it cools off later - 8PM or so. Can anybody confirm this? Just asking.

What brand unit did you/are you looking at??

Sizing on units should be determined by heat gain, heat loss of the structure, not just square footage. For the central SC area a design parameter for our historical weather data should be used. That used to be 95 outside, 75 inside. Oversizing for the extreme instead of a normal can make the unit run improperly.

I keep my AC on 76 during the day. I might chill it down a bit after 5:00. However, I usually shut it down at bedtime and open some doors and windows. It usually drops a hair below 76. I close it back off at daybreak.

Granted, I am single and have a small window unit in my "master suite" that can jack it down pretty coll and pretty quick.

My best friends wear thick pajamas and use blankets in the summer time. (they like t-shirts in the Winter - WTF?) I wear boxers and use sheets at my house in summertime. I pay an average $150.00/mo in the Summer. My friends pay an average of $500.00

I can confirm this because ours is an energy efficient model. We bought it because there was a tax rebate for it. My wife is getting menopausal. She can't walk by the thing without turning it down 2 degrees. Yesterday she did it and then complained that it didn't immediately go down. I said "what do you want, it's running? It's the hottest day of the year! Gotta give it time." It caught up about 6:30.

Reactions: 92Pony
3 degrees change per air volume change out is good. 22 degree differential inside versus outside is good. Those are pretty standard design numbers. As other posters mention, sizing on the unit (tonnage) starts with square footage (1/2 ton per 600 sq ft) and then other heat gain issues have to factor in. Best way to save $$$, Don't set the Tstat below 22 degrees differential of outside. It can't do it and will just run constantly doing nothing for you but spending your money. If you don't have some ceiling fans, get some, they work.

3 degrees change per air volume change out is good. 22 degree differential inside versus outside is good. Those are pretty standard design numbers. As other posters mention, sizing on the unit (tonnage) starts with square footage (1/2 ton per 600 sq ft) and then other heat gain issues have to factor in. Best way to save $$$, Don't set the Tstat below 22 degrees differential of outside. It can't do it and will just run constantly doing nothing for you but spending your money. If you don't have some ceiling fans, get some, they work.
I can confirm this because ours is an energy efficient model. We bought it because there was a tax rebate for it. My wife is getting menopausal. She can't walk by the thing without turning it down 2 degrees. Yesterday she did it and then complained that it didn't immediately go down. I said "what do you want, it's running? It's the hottest day of the year! Gotta give it time." It caught up about 6:30.

Heat Pump 101 and Thermostats 101 should be required credits for HS graduation! LOL!

Bolded is an exchange I have with my wife CONSTANTLY!! :p

Heat Pump 101 and Thermostats 101 should be required credits for HS graduation! LOL!

I love my wife, but physics is not her bag. When we get in the car in the summertime, she turns the thermostat as low as it goes. I have told her a thousand times, if you want the car to be 70 degrees, all you have to do is set it at 70. If you set it at 60, it won't get to 70 any faster. She pays me no attention and does it anyway.

I love my wife, but physics is not her bag. When we get in the car in the summertime, she turns the thermostat as low as it goes. I have told her a thousand times, if you want the car to be 70 degrees, all you have to do is set it at 70. If you set it at 60, it won't get to 70 any faster. She pays me no attention and does it anyway.
Yep, you can't get 'em any other way. My wife likes to take very very hot baths. Only fills with hot water. Empty's the 50 gallon tank (garden tub). Never fails. Comes into the den after the bath, pink as a rose and says "It's hot in here, What have you got the thermostat on".

22 degrees? is that a good common understanding for SC only or everywhere?
I've got Nest installed for both my units and on average my AC is only running ~6 hours a day to keep it at 75 when its 95-98 outside.

22 degrees? is that a good common understanding for SC only or everywhere?
I've got Nest installed for both my units and on average my AC is only running ~6 hours a day to keep it at 75 when its 95-98 outside.
Yeah, 22-23 is normal. your numbers, difference is 20-23. The amount of time it takes is based on the cubic feet per minute of the unit vs the cubic feet in the house For example. If you came home and the inside temp was 78 and you wanted it to be 72, that's 6 degrees, so the unit would have to run long enough to cycle all the air in the house twice (3 degrees per cycle). So there's that. The total amount of time it runs every day depends on the heat gain in the house. If your is running only 6 hours, you are probably well insulated and weather tight. The only other design issue is, that generally, you want you unit running approximately 20% of the time in the South. remember that the other function of the AC is to dehumidify. It takes approx. 20% run time to do that properly. So for example, bigger is not better. Lets say for example that the calculated specs call for a 3 ton unit. You could, of course put in a 5 ton unit and it would cool faster, but would not run long enough to properly dehumidify.

Energy efficiency rating of unit should not affect capacity. Having the unit properly sized (tons) for the load placed on it is what counts. Many factors go into determining the load of your house. Also, bigger is not always better. Too much tonnage in low load conditions could cause the unit to short-cycle and will therefore not pull moisture out of the air. This could lead to mold. Get an experienced, qualified HVAC contractor to help you determine the appropriate size of your HVAC system.

We just bought two new American Standard units. We put a 1.5 ton in for my bonus room which never was cool er than 76 or even higher on a hot day. This new unit keeps that room on a nice cool 72 all day. We put a 3.0 ton in for the main house and it will hold 72-73 all day. I had no complaints about being hot even on 100 degree days. We had a rudd and it was never very good .

Reactions: cockofthegoat
I put in a brand new unit in February for my lake house. It is a two ton unit and cools 1,500 sf. I can confirm that one set, it is very difficult to get below the targeted temp, on a hot day, until the evening.
I think 78 is a reasonable target in the hot summer time and even my old unit can reach it and cut off pretty regularly. If a person has to be cooler than that when it's 95 degrees outside, I think that person needs to strip down some.

Mini splits. The USA is pretty much the only county that uses central air. Mini splits are zoned and cool different parts of the house to different levels. Not to mention they are super efficient. I currently have one to supplement my central air and my power bill went down considerably.
Had to google mini splits. We had one of those in a room at a resort in Jamaica. I was talking trash about how hot and miserable I was going to be here... shut the blinds (our room was screened but completely open) and set that thing on high.... 3-4 hours that room was chilled just as much as a hotel.

Reactions: Cuhambone
I moved into an older house two years ago... It's big and full of holes... Until things get cleaned up/summerized... close vents and doors to rooms you aren't using and buy a few standing fans for key locations in your house. :)
Installing/using ceiling fans constantly helps too.
Ceiling fans don't actually cool a room, but makes a room feel a few degrees cooler at less cost than setting the thermostat those few degrees lower.

We just bought two new American Standard units. We put a 1.5 ton in for my bonus room which never was cool er than 76 or even higher on a hot day. This new unit keeps that room on a nice cool 72 all day. We put a 3.0 ton in for the main house and it will hold 72-73 all day. I had no complaints about being hot even on 100 degree days. We had a rudd and it was never very good .
American Standard makes a good unit. Good choice!

Reactions: king ward
Yep, you can't get 'em any other way. My wife likes to take very very hot baths. Only fills with hot water. Empty's the 50 gallon tank (garden tub). Never fails. Comes into the den after the bath, pink as a rose and says "It's hot in here, What have you got the thermostat on".

So mine isn't the only one who does that?!? ROFL!!

I know there are programmable thermostats that do that. Maybe that's it?

I have a mister spraying on my unit and I'm thinking of misting my roof.

I bought my house 25 years ago from an engineer working at Santee Cooper. He built the house as energy efficient as possible... super insulated, thickly insulated the attic space against the roof, walls and doors. The best energy efficient Windows, spray insulation sealing all the cracks, etc. I now have two 13 seer units and air handlers. I keep my house cool... 68 degrees summer and winter and sometimes lower than that to rid the house of humidity. I have no problem cooling the house, even with 100 degree days like we are having. My bill for 2,600 so ft of house is 160 per month. It pays to do it right.

Reactions: Jpcooper

Better watch out telling a menopausal woman that, she will put a knife in your chest. :0)

Sounds like you have a Heat Pump and that is correct, they are made to maintain a temperature, not lower a temperature. They extract coolness from the air so it follows that when it is really hot, the amount of coolness in the air is less; therefore the unit is less efficient. You can still purchase real cooling units and they have become much more efficient and lower cost. They do cost more to operate, but only if the heat pump is used correctly. The heat pumps can cost more if you like to turn them on and off depending upon how you feel; sort of like my wife. If you just turn it on when you get hot it will cost you more than the cooling AC units. So if you have a heat pump, turn it on and leave it alone.

Sounds like you have a Heat Pump and that is correct, they are made to maintain a temperature, not lower a temperature. They extract coolness from the air so it follows that when it is really hot, the amount of coolness in the air is less; therefore the unit is less efficient. You can still purchase real cooling units and they have become much more efficient and lower cost. They do cost more to operate, but only if the heat pump is used correctly. The heat pumps can cost more if you like to turn them on and off depending upon how you feel; sort of like my wife. If you just turn it on when you get hot it will cost you more than the cooling AC units. So if you have a heat pump, turn it on and leave it alone.
you have been misinformed. A heat pump in cooling mode is just like an air conditioner. The difference is that the refrigerant flow can be reversed in the winter so it can pick up heat from outside to heat the air inside.

Reactions: Out of Conference
Thank you coxman,
That kind of misinformation drives me up the wall. I was about to respond and saw you beat me too it.

Most of what has been said here is correct. However a few adders.

First, the design temp for the midlands SC is 96/76. That's not 96 outside 76 inside. Thats 96 outside dry-bulb, 76 outside wet-bulb. (Wet bulb is a measure of the humidity level spoken in terms of degrees instead of %. Normally the temp difference a properly sized unit can hold inside to outside is around 24 degrees. basically what was stated here.

the 3 degrees per airchange is not a value I've heard but it seems possibly within reason.

I do know that when air pulls through the unit it can usually drop the air temp around 23-24 degrees. So, say your stat i set to 75, and the unit is on so the room is not currently satisfied, so lets say its 76. Well, air is being returned to the unit, maybe from a high place in the room, at 77 degrees. It gains heat as it moves down the duct towards the unit, so it reaches the unit at 78-79 degrees. That air should discharge at between 53-56 degrees. Hence the 23-25 degree drop. If the unit is producing 53-56 degree air right at the registers then the unit is doing all it can do.

If it is doing that and the room is running 80, then the house is leaking in too much heat, or the unit is undersized.
If the air at the register discharges are at 60+ then the unit is not performing well.
(Disclaimer, if you just returned from vacation and your house is 85 inside, and its producing 60 degree discharge air, that is GOOD, cause again DX equipment can only drop he air about 23-25 degrees. I mean, if its mid 70s inside and you're seeing 60+ at the supply register, that could be a problem.)

If you're seeing 58-ish air, well that's borderline and could mean the unit isn't quite charged right, or it could mean a dirty coil either inside or outside, OR it could mean your supply ducts are seeing notable heat gain between where the air leaves the unit and when it reaches the supply register.

Note, if your discharge air is too warm, then its not removing enough moisture from the air, and that'll cause your room to feel warmer at 75F then if the air was drier at 77 degrees.

Everything said about sizing too big a unit is true. It will cause the compressor to short cycle, the refrigerant can slug and shorten equipment life.

ALSO, While I'm standing on the soap box, NEVER use those stupid expensive filtrete filters. I HATE those things and the BS marketing behind them. Those things will kill an AC unit. Look up the pressure drops of your filters online.

The average ENTIRE residential AC unit can handle only about 1.5" of total static pressure drop from the fan motor. The Coil and box of the unit account for around 0.6". Your entire supply duct system accounts for about 0.5", and your return duct system accounts for about 0.2". That leaves just 0.2" for your air filter and ultimately your dirty air filter.

A basic clean blue mesh air filter has about 0.05" drop when its clean. When dirty, about 0.2". So, when that filter is dirty, it is MAXING out your fan.

Those expensive filtretes are about 0.25" CLEAN, and about 0.5" dirty. So, the moment you install it your unit fan is working too hard and burning the motor. As it gets dirty it gets worse. It also slows down the amount of air crossing the coil, which causes the refrigerant thats moving back to the compressor to be "too cold" compared to how it should be. This means some of it is still in a liquid state vs a gas state. This causes compressing slugging. (like slamming your fist into water, (it hurts) and will eat up your compressor.

DON'T do it, you've been warned!

Lastly, for anyone interested, you can measure wet bulb temp by taking a papertowel, soaking it in water, wring it till just drier than dripping, wrap it around the mercury end of a thermometer, and see what the temp reads. As the moisture evaporates, it'll hold the heat temp down on the mercury and give you an accurate wet bulb temp. Note: Charleston has a lower drybulb design temp at 94. but a higher wet bulb design temp at like 78-79, because of the higher humidity on the coast, than here in Columbia.

Oh, ONE MORE thought. Be careful misting your outdoor condensers. Those things were not designed to run in a wet environment. Even your city water supply has chlorine and lime stone and other corrosives that you're just spraying right on your coil fins and they will corrode it faster. No question a unit installed near a water body (coastal town) will rust before a unit in a dry area, and thats the reason. Everything is corrosive and rusts to some degree but moisture is a solvent and accelerates that process.
Furthermore, again by dropping cold water right on a coil, it again permits the possibility to slug the compressor which is unhealthy as stated above. A big tree above an outdoor unit will allow it to run in share so it takes on less heat, but yet allows it to vent its heat away fairly easily. Never build a structure close to or above the unit because it needs to be able to blow the heat away from it so more "cooler" air can come in to take more heat from those coils.

FINALLY LAST, YES A heatpump running in the summer months is EXACTLY the same function process and equipment as an airconditioner that has a gas furnace for heat. The only difference is a heatpump has a reversing valve that switches modes for winter and instead of pumping heat out of your house, it tries to pump heat into your house from the cold winter air outside. DONE!!

If the air at the register discharges are at 60+ then the unit is not performing well.
(Disclaimer, if you just returned from vacation and your house is 85 inside, and its producing 60 degree discharge air, that is GOOD, cause again DX equipment can only drop he air about 23-25 degrees. I mean, if its mid 70s inside and you're seeing 60+ at the supply register, that could be a problem.)

If you're seeing 58-ish air, well that's borderline and could mean the unit isn't quite charged right, or it could mean a dirty coil either inside or outside, OR it could mean your supply ducts are seeing notable heat gain between where the air leaves the unit and when it reaches the supply register.

Note, if your discharge air is too warm, then its not removing enough moisture from the air, and that'll cause your room to feel warmer at 75F then if the air was drier at 77
another reason for high discharge air temp is fan speed could be too high. Airflow should be about 400 cfm per ton if I remember right.

Thank you coxman,
That kind of misinformation drives me up the wall. I was about to respond and saw you beat me too it.

Most of what has been said here is correct. However a few adders.

First, the design temp for the midlands SC is 96/76. That's not 96 outside 76 inside. Thats 96 outside dry-bulb, 76 outside wet-bulb. (Wet bulb is a measure of the humidity level spoken in terms of degrees instead of %. Normally the temp difference a properly sized unit can hold inside to outside is around 24 degrees. basically what was stated here.

the 3 degrees per airchange is not a value I've heard but it seems possibly within reason.

I do know that when air pulls through the unit it can usually drop the air temp around 23-24 degrees. So, say your stat i set to 75, and the unit is on so the room is not currently satisfied, so lets say its 76. Well, air is being returned to the unit, maybe from a high place in the room, at 77 degrees. It gains heat as it moves down the duct towards the unit, so it reaches the unit at 78-79 degrees. That air should discharge at between 53-56 degrees. Hence the 23-25 degree drop. If the unit is producing 53-56 degree air right at the registers then the unit is doing all it can do.

If it is doing that and the room is running 80, then the house is leaking in too much heat, or the unit is undersized.

Note, if your discharge air is too warm, then its not removing enough moisture from the air, and that'll cause your room to feel warmer at 75F then if the air was drier at 77 degrees.

Everything said about sizing too big a unit is true. It will cause the compressor to short cycle, the refrigerant can slug and shorten equipment life.

ALSO, While I'm standing on the soap box, NEVER use those stupid expensive filtrete filters. I HATE those things and the BS marketing behind them. Those things will kill an AC unit. Look up the pressure drops of your filters online.

The average ENTIRE residential AC unit can handle only about 1.5" of total static pressure drop from the fan motor. The Coil and box of the unit account for around 0.6". Your entire supply duct system accounts for about 0.5", and your return duct system accounts for about 0.2". That leaves just 0.2" for your air filter and ultimately your dirty air filter.

A basic clean blue mesh air filter has about 0.05" drop when its clean. When dirty, about 0.2". So, when that filter is dirty, it is MAXING out your fan.

Those expensive filtretes are about 0.25" CLEAN, and about 0.5" dirty. So, the moment you install it your unit fan is working too hard and burning the motor. As it gets dirty it gets worse. It also slows down the amount of air crossing the coil, which causes the refrigerant thats moving back to the compressor to be "too cold" compared to how it should be. This means some of it is still in a liquid state vs a gas state. This causes compressing slugging. (like slamming your fist into water, (it hurts) and will eat up your compressor.

DON'T do it, you've been warned!

Lastly, for anyone interested, you can measure wet bulb temp by taking a papertowel, soaking it in water, wring it till just drier than dripping, wrap it around the mercury end of a thermometer, and see what the temp reads. As the moisture evaporates, it'll hold the heat temp down on the mercury and give you an accurate wet bulb temp. Note: Charleston has a lower drybulb design temp at 94. but a higher wet bulb design temp at like 78-79, because of the higher humidity on the coast, than here in Columbia.

Oh, ONE MORE thought. Be careful misting your outdoor condensers. Those things were not designed to run in a wet environment. Even your city water supply has chlorine and lime stone and other corrosives that you're just spraying right on your coil fins and they will corrode it faster. No question a unit installed near a water body (coastal town) will rust before a unit in a dry area, and thats the reason. Everything is corrosive and rusts to some degree but moisture is a solvent and accelerates that process.
Furthermore, again by dropping cold water right on a coil, it again permits the possibility to slug the compressor which is unhealthy as stated above. A big tree above an outdoor unit will allow it to run in share so it takes on less heat, but yet allows it to vent its heat away fairly easily. Never build a structure close to or above the unit because it needs to be able to blow the heat away from it so more "cooler" air can come in to take more heat from those coils.

FINALLY LAST, YES A heatpump running in the summer months is EXACTLY the same function process and equipment as an airconditioner that has a gas furnace for heat. The only difference is a heatpump has a reversing valve that switches modes for winter and instead of pumping heat out of your house, it tries to pump heat into your house from the cold winter air outside. DONE!!
I know this is a Gamecock message board, but this post should be Stickied for all the fantastic information it contains. I'm an engineer and this post is spot on.
I'll add that if you're getting a new unit or building a new home, have a Manual J, or equivalent calculation run on your home before buying new equipment.
Great post @Rhizzlebop! If we were out drinking, your next 6-8 rounds would be on me.

Reactions: SCexpat38

So you're married to my wife it appears:) TG you guys mentioned this. My wife and I do this song and dance daily. She goes outside and plays with the grandkids, gets menopausal, comes in, then says it's hot in here and runs the temp down 3 degrees. Today, for example, it's around 92, upstairs ac is set to 75 but temp reading 76. She tells me that "you've got it too hot in here." Turned it to 72 and 5 minutes later complained "it's still hot."

Reactions: 92Pony
Yep, there's still enough heat in the air in the winter to pull it out and pump it in. Down to a certain temp, that is. I'm not sure what current design specs are but the outside temp at which the unit can no longer pull enough heat is called (or was called) the balance point. The first heat pump I had was a York ( one if the first to make a decent home unit). It was a 2 ton and the balance point for it was 27 degrees. It actually had a tstat on the outdoor unit and at 27 (and below) it automatically called for 5KW of heat strips to supplement. Unit had 2 5 KW head strips where both were used for emergency heat. I don't think they do that anymore. The indoor tstat has a (usually) 3 degree differential so that if your heat setting is 3 or more degrees higher than the tstat room reading, it turns on some heat strips to supplement. So, if it gets so cold outside that the inside temp falls because the unit can't pump enough heat, it'll turn on the heat strips to make up for it. Heat pumps are find for climates like ours, but you probably won't find any in Minnesota.

Yep, there's still enough heat in the air in the winter to pull it out and pump it in. Down to a certain temp, that is. I'm not sure what current design specs are but the outside temp at which the unit can no longer pull enough heat is called (or was called) the balance point. The first heat pump I had was a York ( one if the first to make a decent home unit). It was a 2 ton and the balance point for it was 27 degrees. It actually had a tstat on the outdoor unit and at 27 (and below) it automatically called for 5KW of heat strips to supplement. Unit had 2 5 KW head strips where both were used for emergency heat. I don't think they do that anymore. The indoor tstat has a (usually) 3 degree differential so that if your heat setting is 3 or more degrees higher than the tstat room reading, it turns on some heat strips to supplement. So, if it gets so cold outside that the inside temp falls because the unit can't pump enough heat, it'll turn on the heat strips to make up for it. Heat pumps are find for climates like ours, but you probably won't find any in Minnesota.
I've got a dual fuel system: Trane 16seer (EER) heat pump with 2 speed compressor and a gas furnace indoor unit with variable flame and fan speed. I can set the Tstat to switch from heat pump to furnace based on outdoor temperature. I set it to 30, but based on the calcs and current prices of gas & electricity the heat pump is more efficient down to 5F. The problem is heat loss from my house below 30 is greater than the BTUs that the heat pump provides. If I had a tighter house, it would be cheaper to run the heat pump down much lower than 30F.

Reactions: BleedsGB
Mini splits. The USA is pretty much the only county that uses central air. Mini splits are zoned and cool different parts of the house to different levels. Not to mention they are super efficient. I currently have one to supplement my central air and my power bill went down considerably.
These are the best if wifey does not mind the unit mounted on wall. Daikin brand is the best on these units.

Reactions: AsianOrange
Were also one of the few countries with a preponderance of single family dwellings. Can't put ducted systems in a Japanese high rise.

Reactions: uscg1984
Were also one of the few countries with a preponderance of single family dwellings. Can't put ducted systems in a Japanese high rise.
Another point, we are the only remaining industrialized nation in the world that uses ductwork to move air in a residential setting. The Japanese have been using mini splits (inverter compressor technology) for 30 +/- years. The mini split options are getting better every couple months and will soon become the premier choice to heat/cool a houses not the USA. Super efficient and seem to last longer than unitary style units with fewer breakdowns. The prices appear to be higher at first glance but you don't have ductwork to worry with under the house which eliminates the heat gain/loss as described above and eliminates having the wrong static pressure present within the cooling system. Personally, I favor the Daikin brand over the Mitsubishi due to the superior communicating trends within the unit itself. All the other brands follow Daikin and Mitsubishi.

Another point, we are the only remaining industrialized nation in the world that uses ductwork to move air in a residential setting. The Japanese have been using mini splits (inverter compressor technology) for 30 +/- years. The mini split options are getting better every couple months and will soon become the premier choice to heat/cool a houses not the USA. Super efficient and seem to last longer than unitary style units with fewer breakdowns. The prices appear to be higher at first glance but you don't have ductwork to worry with under the house which eliminates the heat gain/loss as described above and eliminates having the wrong static pressure present within the cooling system. Personally, I favor the Daikin brand over the Mitsubishi due to the superior communicating trends within the unit itself. All the other brands follow Daikin and Mitsubishi.
Selling these you are. There isn't a HVAC system anywhere without some negatives. Want to try to cool Mall of America with mini splits. Its all about sq footage, layout, etc. Mini splits have their place, ducted has its place. I'm not on either soap box.

Selling these you are. There isn't a HVAC system anywhere without some negatives. Want to try to cool Mall of America with mini splits. Its all about sq footage, layout, etc. Mini splits have their place, ducted has its place. I'm not on either soap box.
The Mall probably has 100 ton package rooftop units with just enough SA ductwork to distribute the air. RA ductwork often is not necessary.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT