ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Anyone ever have their rotator cuff repaired?

gr8spur

Sep 16, 2003
Had my surgery this past Monday, and still can’t sleep in my bed. Spent the whole week in my recliner taking pain meds. Man, this is painful!

Had mine done 11/9 as well as my AC joint (collar bone)....slept in recliner for 4 weeks but now back in the bed...Had rib surgery in April, trust me rotator cuff is a nothing compared to 6 broken ribs....it will get better

Reactions: uscedge21
Need to get you a iceman unit with shoulder attachment. It’s saved my life. It keeps constant cold cold water flowing thru the shoulder harness numbing the pain

Ive needed one for years, at 66 years old I’d rather just deal with the rotator cuff than that rehab. Good luck.

Had my surgery this past Monday, and still can’t sleep in my bed. Spent the whole week in my recliner taking pain meds. Man, this is painful!
Need to get you a iceman unit with shoulder attachment. It’s saved my life. It keeps constant cold cold water flowing thru the shoulder harness numbing the pain

Who did your surgery?

Thanks for the info. I’ve been changing ice packs out over and over.

Reactions: jetman62
Had rotator cuff surgery in '13. Used the pain pump in the hospital and some excellent pain meds when I got home. Not all that bad. The rehab was actually kind of fun. You will be fine my friend. On the other hand, I would not wish inner ear surgery on my worst enemy. Imagine the first time you got really drunk with the room spinning and all but 10x worse.

Yup......have had both shoulders done. Take the pain, get off the meds and go for some serious physical therapy. From now on it’s use it or lose it....they being said, best thing for me. Have complete mobility now.

Reactions: ShadowWeasel
Shoulders take a lot of rehab. Better do it. And like Herman says, get the ice unit. Buy one. It’s worth the money.

‘it’s well worth the money. I tried ice packs but this unit really did the trick. no drug worked fir the pain but the iceman really helped me get through nights in the recliner. Good luck my friend
Bad night of pain. Took your advice and ordered my Donjoy with shoulder pad this morning. Wish it was here right now!

Yes get the iceman. I’ve had both shoulders done. Worst thing I ever went thru. Hang in there!

I'm currently seeing an ortho and we are trying therapy and cortisone shots first. Its not getting better.
I did the same thing with PT, accupuncture, cortisone, etc. for about 6 months. No change. I'm 54 and haven't been able to throw overhanded for about 25 years. Sharp pain in upper arms when I try. Torn RCs in both shoulders. I've simply adjusted my habits and given up on tennis, volleyball, etc. Good luck with whatever route you choose!

I did the same thing with PT, accupuncture, cortisone, etc. for about 6 months. No change. I'm 54 and haven't been able to throw overhanded for about 25 years. Sharp pain in upper arms when I try. Torn RCs in both shoulders. I've simply adjusted my habits and given up on tennis, volleyball, etc. Good luck with whatever route you choose!
You just described me 100% except im 57. A simple quick move to grab a cup of coffee almost puts me on my knees. Both shoulders

I'm currently seeing an ortho and we are trying therapy and cortisone shots first. Its not getting better.
your description of pain, treatment and therapy are identical to my path. Did the shots until they became ineffective. I especially identify with the sharp pain when reaching to grab something with a quick action. Even turning the lamp on or pulling up the covers was very painful. And I'm 56, right between you two fellows. Good luck to you...time for another pain-killer.

Reactions: The Defender
your description of pain, treatment and therapy are identical to my path. Did the shots until they became ineffective. I especially identify with the sharp pain when reaching to grab something with a quick action. Even turning the lamp on or pulling up the covers was very painful. And I'm 56, right between you two fellows. Good luck to you...time for another pain-killer.
Good luck, oh and MY Girlfriend had the ice cooler and it worked wonders

Dr. Stefan Tolan with The Stedman Hawkins group in Greenville SC repaired my rotator cuff and AC back in 2016. I came home with an internal pain pump that lasted about 4 days. I also used the ice machine. I was finished with therapy after about 2 months. I highly recommend Dr.Tolan and the Stedman Hawkins group.

Had mine done at Steadman-Hawkins Clinic in Greenville 9 years ago. I had great results with the rehab.
One day post surgery I took extra strength Tylenol and nothing else. I did lose about 15 yds. Off the t-box that I’ve
never found again!! 🥴

After tearing mine and dealing with pain for 3 months, I went through that as well. My physical therapist wanted to send me back to the doctor after 5 weeks with no improvement. The goal had been a 15% improvement a week. No improvement. Nada. Instead of going back where I knew surgery was the next step, I rested it as much as possible and used my arm the only way it would work. That is when I saw my 15% improvement a week. Couple of months later, pretty close to fine. Glad I didnt go under the knife.
Good luck man

Had Dr Guy do a mumford procedure back 06, cleaned up the cuff and removed some arthritic bone. Then I broke the shoulder blade in 2012. Had bicep tenodesis in 2015. I'm in pain daily and think I am going to have to get the whole RC done. It's painful for me to cut through a chicken burrito with a fork sometimes, and using a mouse causes my shoulder to burn. And I'm a software dev. 😕

• Wow
Not my Cuff, but had my Labrum and Bicep Root repaired in April. The PT hurts, but do it. Do it all and push the PT Dr to push you, but not so far that you re-injure it, but be ready to push through the pain. A good PT will know where the line is. The first 3 months are critical to how it turns out.

Post surgery, I was high for 4 days and then didn't need anything after that.

Does not affect golf.I am 71 and surgeon said that my RC was severely torn.I have rehabbing for a year and can still play golf.

This is definitely a must. My dr told me it's a game changer and it was. Slept in recliner for 4 weeks.

Both shoulders at different times in my life. One the old fashion way back in the 80's and one with the rods and cameras. The second surgery, in the mid-2014 era, was less painful to overcome. If not for pain meds from CVS, I do not think I could have withstood the pain. The morphine given at the hospital after the surgery may as well have been a placebo for all the good it did.

Not my Cuff, but had my Labrum and Bicep Root repaired in April. The PT hurts, but do it. Do it all and push the PT Dr to push you, but not so far that you re-injure it, but be ready to push through the pain. A good PT will know where the line is. The first 3 months are critical to how it turns out.

Post surgery, I was high for 4 days and then didn't need anything after that.
Which surgical recovery is more challenging...labrum or rotator cuff repair?

Which surgical recovery is more challenging...labrum or rotator cuff repair?

I don't really know. However my PT told me the Cuff is the worst rehab to go through. What I did was a fairly close. Stretching everything back out is not a walk in the park, but necessary. I couldn't lift my hand out to chest level after the surgery, had to stretch it back to full range of motion over the course of a couple of months.

Reactions: Jbouton2
I know three people who had that surgery. They all said it is the most pain and the worst rehab of their lives. I wish you a speedy recovery.

To be more specific, 6 months after surgery, I was back to lap swimming again. The rehab is going to hurt, but take whatever pain you can handle during it. Communicate well with your therapist, and pay attention to how it hurts. Not all pain is the same, you can tell the difference when you reach the limit of what can be done. Do what they tell you.

That's the best advice I can give.

Need to get you a iceman unit with shoulder attachment. It’s saved my life. It keeps constant cold cold water flowing thru the shoulder harness numbing the pain I fell and had total hip replacement on left and then broken femur on right. The first one in August and the second in October. They both still hurt really bad. Will this unit help with hips

Had rotator cuff surgery in '13. Used the pain pump in the hospital and some excellent pain meds when I got home. Not all that bad. The rehab was actually kind of fun. You will be fine my friend. On the other hand, I would not wish inner ear surgery on my worst enemy. Imagine the first time you got really drunk with the room spinning and all but 10x worse.
[/QUOTE

It's crazy how different every human being is. I had 7 ear surgeries for tumors in the middle ear , and did not have much issue with pain or vertigo. But, boy when I had my shoulder surgery I regretted doing it for 3 months, I couldn't move my arm but halfway for months, even with doing therapy almost every day. A year later it was the best decision I've made ,my arm is way better and doesn't hurt anymore.

Reactions: uscedge21
Had right shoulder done in May of 2019. 1 inch tear and 3 bone spurs. Lots of arthritis had it scraped. 4 months of strenuous rehab. Still have pain but continue exercise with a pulley at home. Still use ice and heat from time to time but at least I can sleep. Shoulder will never be the same again but is serviceable. Good luck everybody's shoulder is different. Wish you the best

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT