ADVERTISEMENT

OT: "Best" SC BBQ Restaurant

jroller

Jan 12, 2003
As may recall from some of my previous posts, I publish a website about SC BBQ. In the offseason, I like to do a bit of research on the topic. Today, a simple question...with a twist.

Name one SCBBQ restaurant for each of the following:

1) The "best" BBQ restaurant in SC.

2) The "best" SC BBQ restaurant in your area (assuming you're in SC; if not, best in SC that you are familiar with).

3) The "best" SC BBQ restaurant no one ever seems to know or talk about.

4) The "best" SC BBQ restaurant that you haven't yet tried, but tops your bucket list.

Reactions: Carolina Cocktail
1. Sweatman's BBQ- Eutawville
2. Rodney Scott's- Charleston
3. Hog Heaven- Pawleys Island
4. Lewis BBQ- Charleston

Been to 2,3 & 4. Have not tried Sweatman's.

Of the 3 others, I prefer Hog Heaven on Hwy 17. Scott's and Lewis BBQ are nice, and they use the best meats, (expensive too) but at one of them (can't remember which) the food was cold by the time I sat down to eat it. It was a busy lunch so I'll have to try them both again. The other of the two was very good but not as good as Hog Heaven.

Personally, I like Southern Belly in Five Points. I also like Doc's.

There is a place in Manning which is supposed to be one of the best. That part of the state uses vinegar and pepper.

Reactions: bucketdad
Been to 2,3 & 4. Have not tried Sweatman's.

Of the 3 others, I prefer Hog Heaven on Hwy 17. Scott's and Lewis BBQ are nice, and they use the best meats, (expensive too) but at one of them (can't remember which) the food was cold by the time I sat down to eat it. It was a busy lunch so I'll have to try them both again. The other of the two was very good but not as good as Hog Heaven.

Personally, I like Southern Belly in Five Points. I also like Doc's.

There is a place in Manning which is supposed to be one of the best. That part of the state uses vinegar and pepper.
Good to hear your thoughts of Hog Heaven. One of my favorites as well. Old school buffet and they have a good vinegar and pepper sauce as well. Another thing i like is the all you can eat oysters and shrimp if your not in the mood for BBQ. Cant go wrong there.

Good to hear your thoughts of Hog Heaven. One of my favorites as well. Old school buffet and they have a good vinegar and pepper sauce as well. Another thing i like is the all you can eat oysters and shrimp if your not in the mood for BBQ. Cant go wrong there.
I lived in Georgetown/Pawleys for 17 years.

Reactions: bucketdad
1 and 2 - Shealys - can't answer 3 and 4.
I really enjoyed Shealy's as well, but it's been well over 10 years since I've been there.

And I'm sure most of the BBQ snobs on here will disagree because it's the fast-food version of BBQ, but I really, really miss Maurice's Piggy Park out here Montana. That yellow stuff is good, I don't care what y'all say. Also, the smoked BBQ Thanksgiving turkey you can order from Maurice's is just about the best thing I've ever eaten.

I really enjoyed Shealy's as well, but it's been well over 10 years since I've been there.

And I'm sure most of the BBQ snobs on here will disagree because it's the fast-food version of BBQ, but I really, really miss Maurice's Piggy Park out here Montana. That yellow stuff is good, I don't care what y'all say. Also, the smoked BBQ Thanksgiving turkey you can order from Maurice's is just about the best thing I've ever eaten.
I love Maurice's. When I was a kid we would always stop at the flying pig after visiting grandma.

Some nostalgia involved but I really do like it.

I moved from SC 15 years ago, and I know this wasn’t the question, but...

I live in Atlanta now, and if you’ve been and love BBQ, you must check out Heirloom BBQ. I only mention it because I ate there today, and I’m still in a food coma.

But seriously, it’s the best BBQ in Atlanta, and that’s saying a lot.

Last edited:
Reactions: PalmettoNative
1 McCabes...that BBQ place in Manning.

2 Was Cannons in Little Mtn. Best yellow hash around Now Shealys.

3 Mustard Seed BBQ..between I26 and Woodruff..best sandwich in SC Meat is awesome

4 Scotts

Reactions: Robhawk29

Around 50 years ago, on Sumter Hwy, in Eastover, in the middle of no place, there was a hole-in-the-wall called Sikes. Probably an old converted garage/gas station, painted all white, inside and out. Their BBQ Plate was Hash over white rice, BBQ (sliced or minced, mine was always the sliced) Sweet Tea in big, clear, solo cups and 2 slices of white bread in a little bag. Two sons behind the counter filling plates and slinging hash. Bubba, toting in fresh trays of Hash & Q and Mama Sikes working the room with a smile, a little conversation and sweet tea refills. Always a "Hi! Y'all, how ya been?"

Either every single Friday or Saturday night, this boy would drive from Old Chapin Rd in Lexington, to Eastover for a little bit of heaven on a cardboard plate.

Smokehouse 29 in Taylors just left there about 30 minutes ago. And the best tater tots in the upstate.

As may recall from some of my previous posts, I publish a website about SC BBQ. In the offseason, I like to do a bit of research on the topic. Today, a simple question...with a twist.

2) The "best" SC BBQ restaurant in your area (assuming you're in SC; if not, best in SC that you are familiar with).

4) The "best" SC BBQ restaurant that you haven't yet tried, but tops your bucket list.
1) country cousins Scranton. No longer open.
2) little pigs and Hudson’s own cola scene now with all respect to hites and farm boys. Shealy’s is for pulley bones and sides.
3) see country cousins above, Scott’s, sweatmans and McCabes all deserve consideration. B’s and Wilburs if we open up NC,
4) my bucket list is all punched up, open for suggestions

Around 50 years ago, on Sumter Hwy, in Eastover, in the middle of no place, there was a hole-in-the-wall called Sikes. Probably an old converted garage/gas station, painted all white, inside and out. Their BBQ Plate was Hash over white rice, BBQ (sliced or minced, mine was always the sliced) Sweet Tea in big, clear, solo cups and 2 slices of white bread in a little bag. Two sons behind the counter filling plates and slinging hash. Bubba, toting in fresh trays of Hash & Q and Mama Sikes working the room with a smile, a little conversation and sweet tea refills. Always a "Hi! Y'all, how ya been?"

Either every single Friday or Saturday night, this boy would drive from Old Chapin Rd in Lexington, to Eastover for a little bit of heaven on a cardboard plate.

Good sir, you have taken me back. And they had a recliner in there.

1. Lewis's in Charleston. 2. Southern Belly. 3. Southern Belly. 4. Smoking Pig. And I'll add this. Next time your boys are out in College Station for a game go to Snow's in Lexington, TX. Just freaking unbelievable.

Reactions: Chanticleer37
I’ve heard very good things about Farm Boy BBQ in Chapin. Any comments?

Last edited:
Reactions: jroller
1) Mustard Seed - just off I-26 Exit #35 on SJ Workman Hwy (Hwy-50)
close to Woodruff/Roebuck
2) Smoky Dreams - Greenville at Woodruff Rd near Hwy-14 intersection

These 2 are great BBQ places in the upstate (Greenville/Spartanburg) both have excellent sides. Mustard Seed cooks a variety of quality meats throughout the week. Smoky Dreams is small on space but big on quality of their meat.

1. Rodney Scotts in Charleston, as many have mentioned
2. Little Pigs - Alpine Road, Columbia
3. Doc's BBQ - Shop Road, Columbia

Honorable mention for the best hash & rice I have ever tasted... Ward's BBQ in Sumter.

Shiners BBQ in Latta is hands down the best in the South!!

don't get down there as much but seems like a place called Dukes ,off I26 or I95 heading to Hilton Head was pretty damn good too.

Reactions: jonesz21
jroller said:

Shulers BBQ in Latta is hands down the best in the South!!

Sorry...was never able to get back to the post yesterday. Here's mine:

1) Sweatman's in Holly Hill (first put Scott's in Hemingway, but as a "restaurant" Sweatman's pulls ahead for me; if just for the BBQ, then it would be Scott's)

2) Rodney Scott's in Charleston (Lewis might be 1a, but it is a BBQ restaurant in SC, not an SCBBQ restaurant)

3) Big Bill's in Georgetown is pretty darn good if you ask me. (Picking this one was harder than I thought)

4) Sugar Hill BBQ in Manning (don't know if its "best" but it has always piqued my curiosity) Freeman's BBQ in Beech Island may run a close second for off-the-grid places that have my attention.

don't get down there as much but seems like a place called Dukes ,off I26 or I95 heading to Hilton Head was pretty damn good too.
If you're talking about the one in Walterboro, yeah that one ranks right up there. Thought about including that one but it's been 10 years since I was there and wasn't sure it was still there.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT