ADVERTISEMENT

OT: "Best" SC BBQ Restaurant

1. Lewis's in Charleston. 2. Southern Belly. 3. Southern Belly. 4. Smoking Pig. And I'll add this. Next time your boys are out in College Station for a game go to Snow's in Lexington, TX. Just freaking unbelievable.

Been there. Went pig hunting from a helo and then got in line at 0930. Amazing cue.

Reactions: punydevil
I had a lot of food at Farm Boy's but I wasn't impressed with the cue. Great place to pig out, but it was akin to Mutt's BBQ in Greenville. Blah.

Mike and Jeff's BBQ in west Greenville is a must.

Bucky's is very good, heavily smoked BBQ for cheap. An excellent "everyday" cue.

Smokin' Pig, despite the fact it's a Dabo-fest, is incredibly good. Best brisket in SC as far as I'm concerned (I know that's not much of a distinction...) I took my friend from Lexington, TX there and they claimed the brisket was nearly as good as any they'd had.

Reactions: Gamecockben1979
Pot Smokers in the Vista may soon meet the same fate as it's next-door neighbor, The Flying Saucer. Lunch traffic is down and it's not competitive with the old established Q joints around town. It's a different style than what we're used to.

Like Pot Smokers, Southern Belly has resorted to Groupon sales to increase business and that's not a good sign.

Last edited:
Reactions: jroller
Of the 3 others, I prefer Hog Heaven on Hwy 17.The other of the two was very good but not as good as Hog Heaven.

Personally, I like Southern Belly in Five Points. I also like Doc's.

There is a place in Manning which is supposed to be one of the best. That part of the state uses vinegar and pepper.

I have eaten at Hog Heaven twice, one was a quick stop by for takeout, the other was a sitdown. The BBQ is good, but we'll have to agree to disagree on it vs the other two.

The Southern Belly has very tempting photos. I think their sandwiches look amazing and I like their twist on BBQ, but still haven't been there. Bucket list.

McCabe's in Manning is who you likely mean, though there are others there. I would put McCabe's in the category of elite SC BBQ.

I really enjoyed Shealy's as well, but it's been well over 10 years since I've been there.

And I'm sure most of the BBQ snobs on here will disagree because it's the fast-food version of BBQ, but I really, really miss Maurice's Piggy Park out here Montana. That yellow stuff is good, I don't care what y'all say. Also, the smoked BBQ Thanksgiving turkey you can order from Maurice's is just about the best thing I've ever eaten.

For me, Shealy's is a great buffet that also serves BBQ. Unfortunately, we lost Jackie Hite and his restaurant soon followed. If I were in Batesburg-Leesville, I would have picked Jackie's over Shealy's, given the choice.

I'm going to be honest. When it comes to Maurice's, I have been and been completely impressed, and I have been and been disappointed. What I do respect is that they supply all those restaurants with wood-cooked BBQ and at that scale, that is impressive.

I moved from SC 15 years ago, and I know this wasn’t the question, but...

I live in Atlanta now, and if you’ve been and love BBQ, you must check out Heirloom BBQ. I only mention it because I ate there today, and I’m still in a food coma.

But seriously, it’s the best BBQ in Atlanta, and that’s saying a lot.

Thanks for the recommendation. There is a place that was open in both Atlanta and Savannah and BOTH restaurants ended up burning down. B's Cracklin' BBQ is owned by Bryan Furman, who grew up in Cassatt. Think he has a new place somewhere in the Atlanta area. It is another on my Bucket List.

1 McCabes...that BBQ place in Manning.

2 Was Cannons in Little Mtn. Best yellow hash around Now Shealys.

3 Mustard Seed BBQ..between I26 and Woodruff..best sandwich in SC Meat is awesome

4 Scotts

McCabes...elite, as said above. Cannon's is a lost treasure. Mustard Seed is really good, but I went on a non-BBQ day. Think they only have BBQ on Thurs-Sat or something like that.

Around 50 years ago, on Sumter Hwy, in Eastover, in the middle of no place, there was a hole-in-the-wall called Sikes. Probably an old converted garage/gas station, painted all white, inside and out. Their BBQ Plate was Hash over white rice, BBQ (sliced or minced, mine was always the sliced) Sweet Tea in big, clear, solo cups and 2 slices of white bread in a little bag. Two sons behind the counter filling plates and slinging hash. Bubba, toting in fresh trays of Hash & Q and Mama Sikes working the room with a smile, a little conversation and sweet tea refills. Always a "Hi! Y'all, how ya been?"

Either every single Friday or Saturday night, this boy would drive from Old Chapin Rd in Lexington, to Eastover for a little bit of heaven on a cardboard plate.

Great story! Never been to Sikes, but definitely have heard of it.

1) country cousins Scranton. No longer open.
2) little pigs and Hudson’s own cola scene now with all respect to hites and farm boys. Shealy’s is for pulley bones and sides.
3) see country cousins above, Scott’s, sweatmans and McCabes all deserve consideration. B’s and Wilburs if we open up NC,
4) my bucket list is all punched up, open for suggestions

Country Cousins reopened in Olanta a few years ago. Run by the son of the original owners who still uses their recipes. I know people dismiss Hudson's Smokehouse but the two times I have been, I thought they were really good.

New Ellinton BBQ is the best I've personally ever had

One of the most respected BBQ spots in SC, Carolina Bar-B-Que.

Isn’t there a gas station in Andrews that will sell you barbecue out of a side door?

Tell me more...

I’ve heard very good things about Farm Boy BBQ in Chapin. Any comments?

I touched on Farm Boy's and Shealy's in this quick update. Don't remember what I said, but as I recall, I thought they were ok, not great, with good sides and poor desserts. Shealy's I have already touched on above.

1) Mustard Seed - just off I-26 Exit #35 on SJ Workman Hwy (Hwy-50)
close to Woodruff/Roebuck
2) Smoky Dreams - Greenville at Woodruff Rd near Hwy-14 intersection

These 2 are great BBQ places in the upstate (Greenville/Spartanburg) both have excellent sides. Mustard Seed cooks a variety of quality meats throughout the week. Smoky Dreams is small on space but big on quality of their meat.

Smoky Dreams continually gets good feedback when I post these kinds of questions. Need to get up there, too!

Shiners BBQ in Latta is hands down the best in the South!!

Shuler's BBQ...yes, we loved it, too.

don't get down there as much but seems like a place called Dukes ,off I26 or I95 heading to Hilton Head was pretty damn good too.

Yep, that is the Dukes in Walterboro. I think it is the best of the Dukes we have tried.

Still love Sweatman's but something has changed. Have they converted to gas vs open pit?

That's a definite no. Sweatman's Bar-B-Que is still whole hogs over wood embers. Longtime pitmaster Douglas Oliver recently passed away. Maybe that has something to do with it. We loved our visits to Sweatman's even those post-Oliver.

If you're talking about the one in Walterboro, yeah that one ranks right up there. Thought about including that one but it's been 10 years since I was there and wasn't sure it was still there.

Agreed. Still there...still good.

I had a lot of food at Farm Boy's but I wasn't impressed with the cue. Great place to pig out, but it was akin to Mutt's BBQ in Greenville. Blah.

Bucky's is very good, heavily smoked BBQ for cheap. An excellent "everyday" cue.

Smokin' Pig, despite the fact it's a Dabo-fest, is incredibly good. Best brisket in SC as far as I'm concerned (I know that's not much of a distinction...) I took my friend from Lexington, TX there and they claimed the brisket was nearly as good as any they'd had.

Second mention of Mike and Jeff's I've seen in my posts on this topic.

Bucky's, I have a lot of respect for as well. Owner Wayne Preston really seems to be a great guy.

Reactions: bucketdad
Best or "best"?

I went with "best" for a reason. Taste is inherently subjective and while I think that Scott's in Hemingway is the best, if you're not a vinegar-based BBQ fan and like yours chopped instead of pulled with a strong yellow mustard sauce, your definition of "best" is going to be different from mine...and that's ok. (even though you're wrong. ;))

Pot Smokers in the Vista may soon meet the same fate as it's next-door neighbor, The Flying Saucer. Lunch traffic is down and it's not competitive with the old established Q joints around town. It's a different style than what we're used to.

Like Pot Smokers, Southern Belly has resorted to Groupon sales to increase business and that's not a good sign.

Good info. I'll keep my ear to the ground.

FWIW brisket is beef or veal and in SC if it's not pork it's not BBQ.

No argument here.

1 McCabes...that BBQ place in Manning.

2 Was Cannons in Little Mtn. Best yellow hash around Now Shealys.

3 Mustard Seed BBQ..between I26 and Woodruff..best sandwich in SC Meat is awesome

4 Scotts
I have to agree with McCabes in Manning. My mother is from there and go by there when passing through. It's the best BBQ I've had in the state of SC.

Reactions: Petsites Rooster
I grew up in Conway and liked Radd Dews a lot. I heard they closed original place and moved and kids took over business and not as good anymore. Liked it back in 80’s though.
Went to Hudson’s in Lexington about a week ago and was kind of disappointed.

I went with "best" for a reason. Taste is inherently subjective and while I think that Scott's in Hemingway is the best, if you're not a vinegar-based BBQ fan and like yours chopped instead of pulled with a strong yellow mustard sauce, your definition of "best" is going to be different from mine...and that's ok. (even though you're wrong. ;))

Good info. I'll keep my ear to the ground.

No argument here.

True. Nothing was more vile to me than the first time I had vinegar-based BBQ. Ungodly.

Mustard-base sauce is true SC BBQ, as it's unique to the Palmetto State.

First BBQ I ever had was from Sikes in Eastover and always loved swinging by there if I was ever in the area.

Being a SC native, I'm a BBQ hound. So many places are inconsistent, it's hard to stick with one. In the Upstate, Bucky's BBQ is great and consistent.

It's been a while, but a portable road-side set up on Hwy 11, outside of Cleveland at US hwy 276., knows how to smoke some BBQ.

Reactions: TN-Gamecock
Have to give a shout out to Mission BBQ in N Myrtle Beach. I was in town for a family reunion about 6 months ago and picked up one of their meals for about 12 people to go. Wasn't expecting much as it has a look that resembles a fast food place. Got the smoked turkey and pulled pork. Both were pretty dog gone good. Dont remember all the sides but I do remember the corn on the cob and mac and cheese were outstanding. The family was impressed and in the end, I looked real good making that call. Lol

Sweatman's gets by on their reputation. The original owner would only smoke small pigs to get the best flavor. But now they use much larger ones and it definitely makes a difference.

I forgot about Mike and Jeff's. They smoke with oak and hickory, I think, and it's the bomb. Try Bucky's on Roper Mt. Rd.. It's good, and I buy a lb of chopped for under $12.00. Henry's is good, but sometimes inconsistent.

Reactions: TN-Gamecock
I agree as to SC. He trained at Franklin's and then had his own joint in Austin. The only better I've had was made by this octeganarian woman:

I interviewed John after he moved to Charleston, but before Lewis BBQ opened. To say he "trained" at Franklin is not the way he would put it. According to Lewis, he left his job as a pastry chef who was doing competition BBQ on the side and moved from Denver to Austin to help Franklin open his place. He was the pitmaster there for 3 years and was going to leave to compete on the BBQ circuit in CA, but got a call from LeAnn Mueller and together they opened la Barbecue, among the best in Texas. From there Lewis came to Charleston. We were lucky to be at his first pop up at Revelry Brewing and were invited to their soft opening where we were introduced to a new BBQ experience.

Reactions: punydevil
I interviewed John after he moved to Charleston, but before Lewis BBQ opened. To say he "trained" at Franklin is not the way he would put it. According to Lewis, he left his job as a pastry chef who was doing competition BBQ on the side and moved from Denver to Austin to help Franklin open his place. He was the pitmaster there for 3 years and was going to leave to compete on the BBQ circuit in CA, but got a call from LeAnn Mueller and together they opened la Barbecue, among the best in Texas. From there Lewis came to Charleston. We were lucky to be at his first pop up at Revelry Brewing and were invited to their soft opening where we were introduced to a new BBQ experience.
I stand corrected as I often due. Should have read your sig line before spouting off. I don't kid myself I can man a pit like he does but I do use his corn pudding recipe every chance I get.

1 Scott’s Hemingway ( really Brunson Crossroads). 2 Rodney Scott’s Charleston. 3 My Whole Hog Q each Thanksgiving. 4 Lewis Charleston
Totally agree with #1 and 2. Don't really have a 3rd or 4th choice.

In its day, Dukes was good stuff....

Out west, no one has a clue what hash and rice is, or what good mustard sauce is.

I know were talking South Carolina. But the best BBQ in the South is in Bluff City, TN...Ridgewood BBQ...near Bristol International Raceway.

Dolly Parton, Governors, Dale Earnhardt, Jason Whitten (Dallas Cowboys) and other sports figures have eaten there..

Be sure to read the history...Ms Proffitt was born and raised in Easley, SC and brought her recipes with her...They are calling it Tennessee-Style but its the same that we have in Upstate SC...Tomato Based BBQ...

It's the only BBQ I will eat...When in the TriCities, please go by there....

http://www.ridgewoodbbq.com/

1) Mustard Seed - just off I-26 Exit #35 on SJ Workman Hwy (Hwy-50)
close to Woodruff/Roebuck
2) Smoky Dreams - Greenville at Woodruff Rd near Hwy-14 intersection

These 2 are great BBQ places in the upstate (Greenville/Spartanburg) both have excellent sides. Mustard Seed cooks a variety of quality meats throughout the week. Smoky Dreams is small on space but big on quality of their meat.
Mustard Seed is the bomb.

I grew up in Gaffney and the rare times we went out to eat, Dad would drive us to Shelby to Bridges BBQ. Still a favorite. Now I live in Greenville the best BBQ is:
1. Bobby’s in Fountain Inn (2nd best brisket)
2. Smoky Dreams (they have the best Brisket) really good mustard sauce
3. Bucky’s (ask for the spicy vinegar behind the counter)

I grew up in Gaffney and the rare times we went out to eat, Dad would drive us to Shelby to Bridges BBQ. Still a favorite. Now I live in Greenville the best BBQ is:

I've heard good things about Bridge's in Shelby...are they still open? We go to Charlotte some, and we take 64 off I26 in Tryon and go thru Forest CIty/Shelby....If it's still open, i'll make it a point to stop by...I only love tomato based BBQ (upstate BBQ)....never cared for all the other...

I've heard good things about Bridge's in Shelby...are they still open? We go to Charlotte some, and we take 64 off I26 in Tryon and go thru Forest CIty/Shelby....If it's still open, i'll make it a point to stop by...I only love tomato based BBQ (upstate BBQ)....never cared for all the other...
Yes, it is still open. They smoke with hickory, have red slaw and hush puppies.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT