ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Boat sales this year.

Judson1

Jul 31, 2008
Been talking a little with Marshall’s Marine as I am wanting another boat. Interesting he said they have been breaking sales records this year. Being on the lake is one thing that is still available to do so I can see how it would be more popular. BUT on the other hand employment and times are uncertain so I would’ve thought people would be more cautious before buying a luxury item. It surprised me anyways.
As far as buying another boat. Both my girls are now in college. I’m 46 and am starting to get back into fishing tournaments. Aches and pains are starting to become the norm. I feel as if I should enjoy myself and get what I want while I’m still healthy. But the responsible part of me tells me otherwise. I can afford it. But I start thinking of weddings and house repairs, etc. That’s the hardest thing. Where to draw the line between present and future.

I'm 53, at the end of December I pulled the trigger on a new 21' Nitro pro. I also purchased a new pickup to tow it.
My kids are grown and we are empty Nesters, but had I known all this was going to happen i would have never purchased them.
That being said the number of $75,000 bass boats being sold now blows my mind. I guess people have more faith in the future of this country now than I do.

Been talking a little with Marshall’s Marine as I am wanting another boat. Interesting he said they have been breaking sales records this year. Being on the lake is one thing that is still available to do so I can see how it would be more popular. BUT on the other hand employment and times are uncertain so I would’ve thought people would be more cautious before buying a luxury item. It surprised me anyways.
As far as buying another boat. Both my girls are now in college. I’m 46 and am starting to get back into fishing tournaments. Aches and pains are starting to become the norm. I feel as if I should enjoy myself and get what I want while I’m still healthy. But the responsible part of me tells me otherwise. I can afford it. But I start thinking of weddings and house repairs, etc. That’s the hardest thing. Where to draw the line between present and future.
Buy the boat- enjoy your life. We never know how long we have. If you wait until you have gotten past all the repairs and weddings... You will never do it. There is always something else on the horizon..

It's amazing. You would think most things - especially big purchases; boats, houses... - would have slowed. The real estate (housing) market seems to be going wide-open! (I guess really, really low interest rates help, but still!)

Reactions: Judson1

Do the boat thing. People in their 90s say put off re-modeling the kitchen and take that trip to where ever instead.

Last edited:

Buyers regret is always the toughest. If you’re in a good spot and feel confident in your job and steady income I don’t see a problem with it. You have a boat so I guess the question is would the newer boat and it’s satisfaction be worth the budget hit? I assume the house repairs are minor or anticipated, not anything currently keeping you from enjoying your home. I always see 10,000 things I could do with the house.

Life is short. You don’t want to regret not doing something, as long as that something isn’t crippling the ones you love. As for the weddings, I have all daughters. I’ll help out but I’m not funding a royal wedding. Heck there’s a 50% chance it’ll end up in divorce court anyway. Hate to think like that but it’s the truth. I’d rather just give them a chunk of change to help them with their future than blow it on one day. I’ll readily admit my daughters may not feel the same way when their time comes to tie the knot. I started parenthood a little later, so I’ll be happy just to be in the room and not in a picture frame by then.

I started looking a few months ago and the used market is slim, with high asking prices when you do find something. The new inventory has been dried up all summer and many manufacturers even got a head start and started shipping 2021 models to meet demand.

I think a lot of people saw boating as a way to vacation during covid. However, I expect (hope) the used market will be plentiful next spring as a lot of those "new boaters" will start unloading them when they can resume normal family vacations AND they discover boat ownership is more that they expected (maintenance, winterization, storage, etc).

I started looking a few months ago and the used market is slim, with high asking prices when you do find something. The new inventory has been dried up all summer and many manufacturers even got a head start and started shipping 2021 models to meet demand.

I think a lot of people saw boating as a way to vacation during covid. However, I expect (hope) the used market will be plentiful next spring as a lot of those "new boaters" will start unloading them when they can resume normal family vacations AND they discover boat ownership is more that they expected (maintenance, winterization, storage, etc).

I think this is pretty savvy advice. Think the same will be true of RVs. Hit them on the fall and save thousands.

Kind of going through the same thought process with a Polaris or Gator.An expensive toy but I'm 63 and my grandkids are the age where they enjoy riding on our small farm.What am I waiting on? I have the money and the memories we make are well worth the cost.I've had a boat since 95 and it has given us much great family time.

Kind of going through the same thought process with a Polaris or Gator.An expensive toy but I'm 63 and my grandkids are the age where they enjoy riding on our small farm.What am I waiting on? I have the money and the memories we make are well worth the cost.I've had a boat since 95 and it has given us much great family time.
I have found the used side-by-side, atv, and motorcycle shopping to be similar to the thoughts expressed earlier in the thread about boats. I figured the questionable economic times might yield some good deals, but it hasn't. On the contrary, people seem to be wanting, and getting, top dollar. The new power sports dealers locally are reporting record sales.

So, it looks like another elk season where I will be striking off into the wilderness on foot - which is fine. But maybe in the spring, when the new wears off all these new powersports purchases, and the payments become burdensome, I may be able to pick up a deal on a used one.

No one can tell you what to do. But if I were to buy another bass boat it would be a really well maintained one about 10 years old. I'm also the kind of guy who will research a big purchase for a very long time. I shopped for my truck for more than a year and it ended up saving me $8K.

Expense and the desire to get away from other humans is the reason I fish from a kayak. I grew up with a family place on L Wateree so I always thought I needed a bass boat and I'd have a good one when I was financially able. My parents are gone now and we sold the lake house. Now it just doesn't seem important at all. If I want to go someplace like FL and catch bass I'll hire a guide for $350 a day and he'll do the work while I crank in the bass. Much cheaper.

Ok this might sound weird but if your buying primarily to fish and not do the family thing consider a high end kayak like a hobie pro angler. I have a nice bay boat but I catch twice as many big fish in my hobie than I do in my bay boat . You can access areas no boat can access and the sneak up on those spooky fish . No matter how quite your trolling motor is , it’s gonna spook a ton of fish . I’ve literally had 25 inch Specks swim under my hobie in two feet of water . I use it primarily inshore but for bass fishing it’s incredible. You can literally get under boat docks and cover that is total inaccessible to a boater . Get one with a good pedal drive and you are good to go . I love my boat but usually when I’m fishing it’s in the yak .

Ok this might sound weird but if your buying primarily to fish and not do the family thing consider a high end kayak like a hobie pro angler. I have a nice bay boat but I catch twice as many big fish in my hobie than I do in my bay boat . You can access areas no boat can access and the sneak up on those spooky fish . No matter how quite your trolling motor is , it’s gonna spook a ton of fish . I’ve literally had 25 inch Specks swim under my hobie in two feet of water . I use it primarily inshore but for bass fishing it’s incredible. You can literally get under boat docks and cover that is total inaccessible to a boater . Get one with a good pedal drive and you are good to go . I love my boat but usually when I’m fishing it’s in the yak .
It's funny how many bass will bite so close you can see them when you kayak fish. My PB bass did. I sold my big kayak because it was too heavy and I'm in the market for another under $1 grand. But, as with so many other purchases, I'm researching it meticulously. There is also a shortage of new kayaks at the moment. Good thing I still have the old Perception.

Last edited:
It's funny how many bass will bite so, close you can see them. My PB bass did.

Yeah it’s insane . Especially when they hit a frog or Zara spook two feet in front of you . Last week I had a 45 inch redfish crush a popper literally a foot from my kayak . Scared the absolute crap out of me . Fishing was slow and i was kinda zoning out and BOOM !!! I about fell out of the boat . At first I thought it was a bull shark from the blow up . He towed me around for about 10 minutes before I release him .

Yeah it’s insane . Especially when they hit a frog or Zara spook two feet in front of you . Last week I had a 45 inch redfish crush a popper literally a foot from my kayak . Scared the absolute crap out of me . Fishing was slow and i was kinda zoning out and BOOM !!! I about fell out of the boat . At first I thought it was a bull shark from the blow up . He towed me around for about 10 minutes before I release him .
Another advantage of the kayak is that a fish can't go under the boat on you. They'll just turn the boat. They're easier to land because you don't need to get down on the deck for a big one. You can put the thing in any body of water with unpressured fish. I haven't put it in gator infested waters yet. One or two gators, yes, but not hundreds or thousands.

Last edited:
I have found the used side-by-side, atv, and motorcycle shopping to be similar to the thoughts expressed earlier in the thread about boats. I figured the questionable economic times might yield some good deals, but it hasn't. On the contrary, people seem to be wanting, and getting, top dollar. The new power sports dealers locally are reporting record sales.

So, it looks like another elk season where I will be striking off into the wilderness on foot - which is fine. But maybe in the spring, when the new wears off all these new powersports purchases, and the payments become burdensome, I may be able to pick up a deal on a used one.

You are correct.Hardly any Side by sides on Craig's list except some new ones.I'll wait until after hunting season unless I stumble onto one.

Buyers regret is always the toughest. If you’re in a good spot and feel confident in your job and steady income I don’t see a problem with it. You have a boat so I guess the question is would the newer boat and it’s satisfaction be worth the budget hit? I assume the house repairs are minor or anticipated, not anything currently keeping you from enjoying your home. I always see 10,000 things I could do with the house.

Life is short. You don’t want to regret not doing something, as long as that something isn’t crippling the ones you love. As for the weddings, I have all daughters. I’ll help out but I’m not funding a royal wedding. Heck there’s a 50% chance it’ll end up in divorce court anyway. Hate to think like that but it’s the truth. I’d rather just give them a chunk of change to help them with their future than blow it on one day. I’ll readily admit my daughters may not feel the same way when their time comes to tie the knot. I started parenthood a little later, so I’ll be happy just to be in the room and not in a picture frame by then.

Currently I have an 07 17.5 ft aluminum with a 90. Is always had bigger bass rigs and while I was without one a friend won this one. I bought it and have fished somewhat regularly the last 13 years. On Clark Hill or Murray it can become difficult to fish in the wind. I’m mainly looking for used but it’s hard to pull the trigger on a $25000 to $30000 rig that’s 10 plus years old with 3-400 hours when a new one is $40-50. I’d love to find a well maintained one that maybe dropped a cylinder. I could buy and put a new engine on it. I’m currently replacing my carpet in mine. May sell it first or wait until I buy something then sell. Not sure.

People tell me all the time they were happy when they sold their boat, but I've had a bass boat for years, and will have one for as long as I'm able.
I've never been interested in a kayak although I have friends who are.

Another advantage of the kayak is that a fish can't go under the boat on you. They'll just turn the boat. They're easier to land because you don't need to get down on the deck for a big one. You can put the thing in any body of water with unpressured fish. I haven't put it in gator infested waters yet. One or two gators, yes, but not thousands.

Never had any run ins with gators but I’ve had some downright horrifying bull shark encounters . I had an Eight footer bite a redfish in half right next to my kayak in 4 feet of water . I couldn’t get what was left of the fish unhooked and he was chasing it around my boat . Super scary . I whacked him with the paddle a few times and he took off . I really thought he was gonna flip me over . Super freaky . This video was actually taken by my buddy’s nephew at the beach right down the road . They were on paddle boards . If you look closely he has about a 70lb tarpon in his mouth . Super cool video .

Wow. Both girls are in college and you are 46? Good grief. I am 50 and have 14, 11 and 10 year old girls.

Ebike...I just got a Specialized FSR Stumpjumper with a Bafang mid drive and it's the ticket. I plan on using mine next year in the Black Hills of Wyoming and South Dakota.

Currently I have an 07 17.5 ft aluminum with a 90. Is always had bigger bass rigs and while I was without one a friend won this one. I bought it and have fished somewhat regularly the last 13 years. On Clark Hill or Murray it can become difficult to fish in the wind. I’m mainly looking for used but it’s hard to pull the trigger on a $25000 to $30000 rig that’s 10 plus years old with 3-400 hours when a new one is $40-50. I’d love to find a well maintained one that maybe dropped a cylinder. I could buy and put a new engine on it. I’m currently replacing my carpet in mine. May sell it first or wait until I buy something then sell. Not sure.
I would get new or buy really old and restore. The used market on everything right now is a sellers market. Even used weightlifting stuff is ridiculous right now. I'm seeing used Olympic plates higher than new ones.

My buddy runs a car dealership and he said the auction prices are up as well. I was there the other day and a lady brought in a Sequoia he sold her. She was wanting to trade it in and he was hoping she did. He said he paid 3800 at auction a couple years ago and could get over 5 easy right now. Crazy times...

Nothing wrong with buying boats or any other of these toys that give you pleasures in life. Just don’t borrow money to do it. Pay cash or wait until you can.
I agree. Its amazing to see a 30 year old guy with a $75,000 boat and a $70,000 truck.
I couldn't buy my first boat till 35 and it was $1,500.

Reactions: cocks rule
I agree. Its amazing to see a 30 year old guy with a $75,000 boat and a $70,000 truck.

If I wait until I have $40-50 grand in cash I’ll never get one. I have perfect credit and am in great shape with my retirement. I’ve always tried to put most of my extra money in my retirement. Putting 10 down on a $40 something boat at a good rate isn’t a terrible decision. I’ll aim to pay it off in 7 to no more than 10 years. But trust me I am looking for that gem of a boat for $15-20. An older guy in my club has an 07 Triton TR196 that’s immaculate. My uncle swears he never keeps things long so I’m trying to wait him out.

I bought a boat a few years ago but just don't seem to use it as much. I think i might put new seats in it and sell it. 17 foot stratos with a 150 Johnson. Took it out and wanted to see how fast it was. 67 was too fast for me. Then i spent about 2 Grand on fish finders and another Grand on fishing gear, then $450 on steps to get on the boat whole on the trailer, them 400 on a Dakota boat retriever. Think big retractable dog leash. Hook it to the dock, back into the water and launch , go park the truck. The boat is beside the dock when i get back. I hate to see it sit and not be used. Guess i ought to get my but outand go fish when it gets cooler. Getting too old for the summer heat. Would not mind a pontoon to keep in the water. Boat=break out another thousand. Lol

I have a Carolina skiff. Considered moving to something bigger this summer but opted to hold tight because I figure all these dopes buying boats during Covid will be dumping them shortly.

I hear you. And the thing is, the guy with the $75k boat wasnt having 50 times as much fun on the water as you were. When I was into bass fishing back in the day, I bought a used late model G3 aluminum bass boat for about $3500 used it for about 18 months until we sold the lake house, caught lots of fish, had lots of fun, and then sold it for $4000. There were a lot of nicer boats on the water, but I always found boats to be a case of diminishing returns. The first $5000 gets you a lot more than the next $5000 and the first $10,000 gets you a lot more than the 2nd $10,000.

Same goes for rv's

I hear you. And the thing is, the guy with the $75k boat wasnt having 50 times as much fun on the water as you were. When I was into bass fishing back in the day, I bought a used late model G3 aluminum bass boat for about $3500 used it for about 18 months until we sold the lake house, caught lots of fish, had lots of fun, and then sold it for $4000. There were a lot of nicer boats on the water, but I always found boats to be a case of diminishing returns. The first $5000 gets you a lot more than the next $5000 and the first $10,000 gets you a lot more than the 2nd $10,000.

I tend to agree and tend to be conservative on large purchases. If I had $75,000 to blow, I would buy and not bat an eye....but if money were an issue there’s no way I would pull the trigger on either purchase.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT