ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Boston Celtics season over

DarkCock

Jan 21, 2006
6 minutes into the season and Gordon Heyward breaks his leg. Reminded me of Lattimore's second injury. Crowd was stunned.

The celtics are known for historically bad luck. Hope GH makes a speedy recovery.

Huh? Boston has won 17 NBA championships. Most NBA championships in history. Won more than the Lakers, despite The Lakers having 10 more opportunities.
I was thinking more along the lines of injury/deaths.

This looks like a devastating injury, 6 min into the season, Heyward was the big FA catch in the off season.

Reactions: Rooster Louie
I was thinking more along the lines of injury/deaths.

This looks like a devastating injury, 6 min into the season, Heyward was the big FA catch in the off season.

I'll never forget the Len Bias death many years ago.
This was Gordon's first game as a Celtic. Hope it's not career ending.

Reactions: Cock_Donor
God that looked bad . I was watching live and I screamed out loud when it happened . It looked horrible . Hopefully he can recover . I remember as a kid watching the Joe Theisman / LT play and this one looked about as bad . Very sad .

God that looked bad . I was watching live and I screamed out loud when it happened . It looked horrible . Hopefully he can recover . I remember as a kid watching the Joe Theisman / LT play and this one looked about as bad . Very sad .

Could you imagine that happening at the Y and having wait for the EMTs to get there? Thankfully Heyward was fortunate to have top notch doctor there on the court immediately after going down. Plus, GH just signed a guaranteed 120 million dollar contract. He'll be OK.

Could actually help them long term as they have a lot of young talent on the roster and this will open up more opportunities for them to play. In the NBA its mainly about being healthy and playing well at the playoffs...I think they will be fine.
Hate it for him as he's a solid player

I hate it for the young man... he was primed for a big year... but I hate it more for NBA fans who just watched the East get that much less interesting.

Wish you were right...The NBA season is so long, he will get back in plenty of time to make a huge contribution in March, April and May...It's October...My guess is he gets back on the court in mid Feb or early March

Could actually help them long term as they have a lot of young talent on the roster and this will open up more opportunities for them to play. In the NBA its mainly about being healthy and playing well at the playoffs...I think they will be fine.
Hate it for him as he's a solid player

As another poster said, "next man up." I wouldn't count on him being much of a contributor this season.

https://www.bostonsportsjournal.com...ysis-celtics-gordon-hayward-back-late-season/

Return to play

We don’t know the extent of the damage to the ankle. Best-case scenario at this point is surgery within a few days, weight-bearing 6 to 8 weeks later, and a possible return to practice in 4-to-6 months. That puts us at March-April. Sadly, while I am definitely holding out hope for positive, surprising news, I do not think we will see much, if any, meaningful basketball from Hayward until next season.

I’m sorry, but I can’t write this like it’s just another NBA injury. It’s devastating and heartbreaking. I want to tell him it’s going to be okay, that he’ll play again. He will. But that’s not much comfort for a guy who moved his young family across the country to be a part of something special. Instead of being in the locker room getting to know the guys, he’ll spend his season in the training room working on his injury.

The one positive is his game is not so much dependent on sheer explosion and athletic ability like a Westbrook or John Wall type . Some players like Derek Rose are never the same after a bad injury takes away some of the explosiveness. Gordon is a great shooter and one of the most intelligent and crafty players in the league , he will still be an All star caliber player when he recovers . If I was Boston and had over 120 million invested in him , i wouldn't rush him back .

With this kind of injury the biggest problem isnt the break it’s the dislocation. Those kinds of dislocations for athletes can cause major ligament damage and even result in sporadic swelling for months afterward. It’s sad I hope the kid gets back soon.

My three favorite teams all losing key players already this season. Carolina loses Deebo Samuel. Then the Packers lose Aaron Rogers. Now the Celtics lose Gordon Hayward. Damn, I'm snakebit.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT