ADVERTISEMENT

OT - CBS Channel 19 (Columbia) vs Dish Network Spat

muscleknight

Mar 26, 2001
The Channel 19 and Dish spat has been going on for a few months now. Usually, these spats don't last more than a day or 2. The only time I watch CBS is for some college football games, a few NFL games, some of the NCAA tourney in March and the rest of the time I don't care. I actually got to watch the Dallas/SF game on Nickelodeon lol. Loved the slime and the announcers were better than the normal dull ones on CBS lol.

This is why I’ll never go to Dish Network. They get into more spats with, and pull networks more than any other provider. They’ve got a few that’s been going on for years. I’m nervous because they’re in merger talks with DTV which is who I have. If they do merge and operate under Dish, I’m done with satellite for good.

This is why I’ll never go to Dish Network. They get into more spats with, and pull networks more than any other provider. They’ve got a few that’s been going on for years. I’m nervous because they’re in merger talks with DTV which is who I have. If they do merge and operate under Dish, I’m done with satellite for good.

The dispute is not with the networks per se. It's with local stations which, sadly, these days are for the most part owned by large corporations which in many cases own hundreds of TV stations across the country (IMO, the FCC should never have relaxed ownership rules and instead should have left the cap at a maximum of 5 TV stations per owner). Congressional legislation from 1992 allows broadcasters to charge cable/satellite/streaming providers a fortune to carry their signal.

It's not networks the services are pulling. It's local network affiliates.

WLTX-TV is a CBS affiliate, owned by Tegna Inc. Tegna owns about 60 stations throughout the country. Its stations have affiliations with all four major networks. My guess is that the dispute is with Tegna and Dish, e.g., WKYC-TV, the NBC affiliate in Cleveland, OH, also owned by Tegna, is part of the dispute with Dish.

Don't complain to Dish regarding the outrageous fees Tegna charges. Reach out to WLTX and Tegna corporate and voice your disapproval of the exorbitant fees they demand.

Better still, get an antenna, and supplement with streaming services as desired.

Last edited:
Reactions: uscmike1
What is your advice for antenna use? Done a little research, just so many opinions etc.
regular bunny ears, you don’t need that fancy booster garbage. doesn’t do anything. also check your location. they have maps that show how strong of a signal you will get for each channel, including metv wich is mostly old shows like dragnet, twilight zone, gunsmoke etc..

What is your advice for antenna use? Done a little research, just so many opinions etc.
Depends on where you are. In my case the Columbia stations are roughly the same direction so I have a yagi antenna. I use a tablo dvr so I view the channels and recordings on roku without having to run cables to the tvs. An Amazon firetv cube will also work with firesticks. Cool thing with the tablo is multiple tuners and playback of recordings without the need for wires to the tvs. Plus it can automatically skip commercials for recordings. The commercial skip cost 20 bucks a year.

Amazon Basics HDTV Digital Outdoor TV Antenna with Mounting Pole https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08F7TJHJ4/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_i_YEFC4C05PERNPXACJ5YC

Tablo Dual LITE [TDNS2B-01-CN] Over-The-Air [OTA] Digital Video Recorder [DVR] for Cord Cutters - with WiFi, Live TV Streaming, & Automatic Commercial Skip, Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B078YKTWV6/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_i_YXT525BZ6S852G5AJJNJ?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Fire TV Cube, Hands-free streaming device with Alexa, 4K Ultra HD, includes Alexa Voice Remote https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07KGVB6D6/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_i_J940928YCKV3ZAVKNYF3

Last edited:
Depends on where you are. In my case the Columbia stations are roughly the same direction so I have a yagi antenna. I use a tablo dvr so I view the channels and recordings on roku without having to run cables to the tvs. An Amazon firetv cube will also work with firesticks. Cool thing with the tablo is multiple tuners and playback of recordings without the need for wires to the tvs. Plus it can automatically skip commercials for recordings. The commercial skip cost 20 bucks a year.

Amazon Basics HDTV Digital Outdoor TV Antenna with Mounting Pole https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08F7TJHJ4/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_i_YEFC4C05PERNPXACJ5YC

Tablo Dual LITE [TDNS2B-01-CN] Over-The-Air [OTA] Digital Video Recorder [DVR] for Cord Cutters - with WiFi, Live TV Streaming, & Automatic Commercial Skip, Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B078YKTWV6/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_i_YXT525BZ6S852G5AJJNJ?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Fire TV Cube, Hands-free streaming device with Alexa, 4K Ultra HD, includes Alexa Voice Remote https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07KGVB6D6/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_i_J940928YCKV3ZAVKNYF3
There is no such thing as a "digital antenna." Such is marketing hype.

Antenna are shaped/designed to pick up stations based on the broadcast frequency. Whether the signal is analogue or digital is irrelevant.

I can recommend two sites to visit.

Denny's Antenna Service Even if you don't buy from them, there's a lot of useful information on the site.

Tyler the Antenna Man. Tyler can give you a good recommendation based on location. He also has a YouTube channel, and publishes a couple of videos each week. Worth a visit.

Reactions: vacock#
regular bunny ears, you don’t need that fancy booster garbage. doesn’t do anything. also check your location. they have maps that show how strong of a signal you will get for each channel, including metv wich is mostly old shows like dragnet, twilight zone, gunsmoke etc..
Depends where you are. If you are in Beaufort and want to pick up Charleston TV stations, you most definitely need the "booster," i.e., an antenna pre-amplifier. If you are within 45km of the broadcast towers, not so much.

Check the location of the broadcast towers, your distance from them, and the broadcast frequency. In the digital era, the broadcast frequency is not necessarily what shows up on your TV. For example, WOLO-TV, the ABC affiliate in Columbia, broadcast on channel 25 prior to the 2009 digital conversion. Today, they broadcast on channel 7 (the RF channel). Metadata transmitted as part of the broadcast signal instructs your TV to show it on channel 25 (the virtual channel).

Since many TV stations have publicized themselves for decades by their channel number, the FCC knew it was best to keep that going in the digital era.

All this means is that in order to pick up WOLO (ABC Columbia), you must ensure that you have an antenna designed to pick up signals in the high-VHF band (channels 7-13).

A good site to search what's available over-their air is https://rabbitears.info/.

There is no such thing as a "digital antenna." Such is marketing hype.
I didn't say anything about a digital antenna. The antenna I linked is a reasonable priced yagi antenna. Amazon's marketing words don't change that. I said a yagi antenna. It is a smaller directional antenna. It works well if the channels you want are located in the same general direction from your location.

Last edited:
I live in BFE Montana and I've used one of the $19 antennas from Walmart with pretty good success. It's an interior model that is one of those flat square ones (about the size of a piece of paper). We've even used it in the camper when we go further into BFE and still picked up most networks. If you live anywhere near Columbia, I'd think you'd pick up everything well.

Reactions: Jbouton2
The dispute is not with the networks per se. It's with local stations which, sadly, these days are for the most part owned by large corporations which in many cases own hundreds of TV stations across the country (IMO, the FCC should never have relaxed ownership rules and instead should have left the cap at a maximum of 5 TV stations per owner). Congressional legislation from 1992 allows broadcasters to charge cable/satellite/streaming providers a fortune to carry their signal.

It's not networks the services are pulling. It's local network affiliates.

WLTX-TV is a CBS affiliate, owned by Tegna Inc. Tegna owns about 60 stations throughout the country. It's stations have affiliations with all four major networks. My guess is that the dispute is with Tegna and Dish, e.g., WKYC-TV, the NBC affiliate in Cleveland, OH, also owned by Tegna, is part of the dispute with Dish.

Don't complain to Dish regarding the outrageous fees Tegna charges. Reach out to WLTX and Tegna corporate and voice your disapproval of the exorbitant fees they demand.

Better still, get an antenna, and supplement with streaming services as desired.

I didn't say anything about a digital antenna. The antenna I linked is a reasonable priced yagi antenna. Amazon's marketing words don't change that. I said a yagi antenna. It is a smaller directional antenna. It works well if the channels you want are located in the same general direction from your location.
Correct - but I want to be clear for the unknowing. Amazon and others use "digital antenna" as marketing hype.

If one has an antenna from the analogue days which is still in good shape, it should work/pick up TV stations just fine.

Last edited:
Reactions: vacock#
I'm surprised I didn't post anything in that thread.

Over the past couple of years, the FCC has further reduced the TV bandwidth, known as the digital repack. No more broadcasting above channel 36. For example, WCSC in Charleston started broadcasting on RF channel 47 (virtual 5) after the digital conversion. As part of the repack, they now broadcast on RF 19.

Similarly, WOLO ABC Columbia broadcast on RF 8 (Virtual 25) after the digital conversion. Their move to RF 7 is probably to allow room for some stations moving down the spectrum.

Of course, how many channels you can pick up depends on how close you are to the broadcast towers, the signal strength, the broadcast frequency, the terrain between your antenna and the towers, how good your antenna is, and where/how high it's mounted.

At my Atlanta home, we have an outdoor antenna about 7m above the ground, and 1m above the pitch of the roof. We have a rotor as well. We pick up over 100 channels. Like cable, there's a lot of religious, foreign language, and shop-at-home channels; but at least we're not paying for it.

Most Atlantans have trouble picking up WGTV, channel 8 (borth virtual and RF), which is Georgia Public Broadcasting. The tower is atop Stone Mountain (16km from the house). The VHF frequency causes a lot of the problem (although the WXIA. the NBC affiliate broadcasting RF 10 doesn't seem to give people problems like WGTV does). As long as the antenna is pointing towards Stone Mountain, we can pick up WGTV with no issue,

DTV is owned by AT&T. Any merger would be an AT&T acquisition.

I've got mine to the outside and can pick up all of them. Who knew that they had all these different sub channels. I can probably pick up 15 channels.

DTV is owned by AT&T. Any merger would be an AT&T acquisition.
DTV is no longer owned by AT&T. AT&T sold it off a few months ago. That’s part of, if not entirely the reason why they’re in merger talks. Who knows if they’ll come to an agreement or not.

I got this one. It works great if you mount it high enough. It uses coax so if you already have a satellite dish, you can remove the dish and use the existing cable.
I used to have one but my brother and mom has it.we live between the leesville/Gilbert area and can pick up all the Columbia and Augusta channels.last I checked which has been a while,they was getting atleast 50+ channels,might be over 60.in my experience,the 1st thing to go bad is the crappy cable.I’ve never seen one last much more than a year.i get mine ant from eBay for around $30.

Reactions: TheReelEss
I used to have one but my brother and mom has it.we live between the leesville/Gilbert area and can pick up all the Columbia and Augusta channels.last I checked which has been a while,they was getting atleast 50+ channels,might be over 60.in my experience,the 1st thing to go bad is the crappy cable.I’ve never seen one last much more than a year.i get mine ant from eBay for around $30.
I have not had to do anything with my antenna or cable for years. No issues.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT