ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Closed Restaurants

When I was a kid in the late 60's, after church, my Grandmother used to take us to a place called Drakes. The only thing I remember them serving were round single serve pies for dessert. I think they had cherry, chocolate, and lemon. Maybe others. As a kid, they were fantastic.:)

Kinch's, across from the state house on assembly st. They had thd best fried(boasted) ck! I think it's a sushi place now.

Anyone remember Lum's? Oversized hot dog and cold draft beer. Come to think if it, both were oversized. Was in the Andy's Deli building I believe.

You are absolutely correct on the location. Lum’s “Hot Dogs Steamed In Beer”. Went there many times before they closed. Andy has probably been in that location for over forty years now. A Five Points ‘institution’.

I remember eating a number of steak sandwiches at Cogburn's on Sumter Street back in the day. I'm assuming they are no longer around.

When I was attending Columbia High School in the early to mid 1970’s, we were allowed to leave campus at lunch. Cogburn’s was about a block off campus. Had a Ribeye Steak ‘sandwich’ with fries, and salad for $2.99! They had very affordable and good food. They moved to Sunset Blvd in West Columbia, and eventually closed! The Market Restaurant on Assembly had very good food back then as well. That was semi fine dining back in the day!

Smoothie’s in Batesburg.its the only place I could get a big cup of strawberry sundae(32oz I think )..I haven’t seen nobody offer it since...it’s been closed probably at least 20-30 years,maybe longer...

Sub cabin was in front of our apartment complex. The building looked like it was nailed together with wood scraps! Great wings!
The Villa in 5 Points. Great owners, Rivers and John Scarborough!
Pappys across from The Towers. 2 dollar burgers and movies all day long!
The Shrimper by Dutch Square. The buckets of oysters were to die for!
And finally, The Whales Tail in Little Rock. This was packed every night in the 80s. Last I saw some pool company was using it.

Can't believe no one has mentioned Cogburns or Luigi's.

Captain's Kitchen and Shimmy Blooms were other blasts from the past.

The Dairybar behind the State House which introduced the perminto burger to Cola.

Jack's Diner in Hilton - best fried catfish and stew ever

Thought of another... the restaurant at Table Rock State Park. Their country ham was the best I’ve ever had. They’d bring the food out on carts and bring as much as you could eat. I hate to think I ate them out of business.

Just a beautiful setting and great food.

Thought of another... the restaurant at Table Rock State Park. Their country ham was the best I’ve ever had. They’d bring the food out on carts and bring as much as you could eat. I hate to think I ate them out of business.

Just a beautiful setting and great food.
Let’s face it. Opening an all you can eat restaurant in a college town is a freaking stupid business plan. Any one remember Duff Smorgasbord? I rest my case.

Hites(?) in Lexington where I think cvs sits today...I do miss Quincy’s though..

Over the years restaurants close down, especially a few years back. What’s the 2 or 3 restaurants you wished you could eat at today that no longer exist?

In Greenville, I miss the Rainbow Drive-in on Poinsett Hwy, and John Paul’s Armadillo Oil Company on Frontage Rd. Columbia had a John Paul’s when I was at USC, but it was nowhere near as good as the one in Greenville.

ray leavers' bbq, north of cola between hwy 321 & 21......best hash ive ever had & developments later might prove why:).

1. Hites in Batesburg-Leesville
2. Whales Tail in Ballentine?
3. Carlisle Fish Camp
4. Goonie Birds in Laurens
5. Dopeys in Newberry

Reactions: rickbryan
Let me add one more to my list. The Coffee Pot in Dunean- Greenville, SC. It has been closed for many many years. Great food, they served a little bit of everything.

Assuming Blacks Fish Camp in Easley is still closed. Decent food there. Always enjoyed it.

Also, liked Brushy Creek BBQ in Powdersville pretty good. I know it wasn’t the best, but sometimes you just eat something enough you fall in love with it. Brushy Creek was my intro to mustard based sauce.

Yea the coffee pot was pretty good. Albert officiated me and my wife’s wedding and my wife worked for him on occasion. He was a good man.

WOW! Didn't realize you were familiar with the Coffee Pot. I use to eat there a lot after high school and before I went to college. Susan (I think was her name) was Albert's daughter and finished Parker the same year I did.

Reactions: Brace1
The Barbecue King in Greenville

I never ate there in my entire life and I was born and raised in Greenville. But at that time I didn't eat a lot of BBQ because I simply didn't like BBQ but everyone that I knew that had eaten there really loved Barbecue King.

Assuming Blacks Fish Camp in Easley is still closed. Decent food there. Always enjoyed it.

Also, liked Brushy Creek BBQ in Powdersville pretty good. I know it wasn’t the best, but sometimes you just eat something enough you fall in love with it. Brushy Creek was my intro to mustard based sauce.

A lot of times it's what you get use to first that makes it great.

Reactions: Carolina4
Hungry Fisherman
Herb’s
Steak and Ale
Cork and Cleaver
Bobby’s House of Pizza
Applegate’s Landing
Garcia’s
Oriental Garden (Korean restaurant on Main St.)

Reactions: redrogers
I lived in SC for 21 years and I never heard of most of these towns you all are talking about, much less these restaurants.

Hungry Fisherman
Herb’s
Steak and Ale
Cork and Cleaver
Bobby’s House of Pizza
Applegate’s Landing
Garcia’s
Oriental Garden (Korean restaurant on Main St.)

The Hungry Fisherman! Boy has that part of town changed a ton since that place was open. I can remember feeding the ducks outside.

Garcia’s the Mexican place? I have a couple of Mexican joints on here I’d list, but I feel Greenville’s Mexican food is awesome these days. So I miss the old places less.

Reactions: redrogers
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT