ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Cord cutter alternatives like YouTube TV

OldWiseCock

Apr 3, 2019
Columbia
I've had Spectrum for about 3 years now. Of course, the price has gone up, but it isn't outrageous. However, 2 TVs use the Spectrum app to stream. They recently changed the app and it's trash. The TVf with the box downstairs in the den works fine, but even with a wired connection the other TVs freeze or lose the connection. I continually get a pop up that says, "This channel is unavailable at this time. Please try another channel."

So I signed up for the 2 week trial with YouTube TV. So far it seems much more reliable and responsive. I don't know if it is my imagination, but the picture looks clearer, sharper and more vibrant. Plus, they give you unlimited cloud DVD and now I get the Golf Channel. I tried Sling a few years ago. It is cheaper, but I found it unreliable.

Spectrum TV is $85 per month including the rental for the box. YouTube TV is 49.99.

I think I'm sold.

I've had Spectrum for about 3 years now. Of course, the price has gone up, but it isn't outrageous. However, 2 TVs use the Spectrum app to stream. They recently changed the app and it's trash. The TVf with the box downstairs in the den works fine, but even with a wired connection the other TVs freeze or lose the connection. I continually get a pop up that says, "This channel is unavailable at this time. Please try another channel."

So I signed up for the 2 week trial with YouTube TV. So far it seems much more reliable and responsive. I don't know if it is my imagination, but the picture looks clearer, sharper and more vibrant. Plus, they give you unlimited cloud DVD and now I get the Golf Channel. I tried Sling a few years ago. It is cheaper, but I found it unreliable.

Spectrum TV is $85 per month including the rental for the box. YouTube TV is 49.99.

I think I'm sold.

I have been using YouTube TV for a year and will never go back to cable unless they make me a sweet deal. But their sweet deals are like con games.

Last edited:
I've had YouTube TV since PlayStation Vue announced in November that it was shutting down. I've been pleased. You can create six (I think) profiles and can use three of them at once. You'll use the YouTube credentials to access ESPN3/SECN+, etc.

There are plenty of free options out there to supplement whichever service you choose. I can get 60-plus channels in Greenville with an antenna. Your profile says you live in Columbia. Odds are you can get 30 to 40 channels there. Connect an antenna (rabbit ears, etc.) to your TV, set the source to antenna/air, then hit autoprogram/scan. Move the antenna around to find the sweet spot in the room (usually on a wall near a window), but you need to rescan each time.

Go to one of these sites and enter your address info to get an estimate of the channels you can receive. Generally, these places under-estimate. Reception depends on terrain, obstructions, distance from broadcast towers, etc.

https://antennaweb.org/

https://www.rabbitears.info/searchmap.php

http://tvfool.com/index.php?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29

Totally free streaming services (accessible with an Amazon Fire Stick, AppleTV, Roku, etc.) include Pluto, Stirr, Xumo, Tubi, Crackl and many more. Go to Pluto.TV to see about 200 or more channels of free programming.

Love YouTubeTV....had it for well over a year.
Family of 4 functions off just one profile...(I'm sure we "under-use" it to a degree but I dont like idea of kids having separate profiles)

I may have a decision to make in a few weeks if DTV doesn’t extend/give me anymore promotions. If I were to choose a streaming option, I think YouTube TV would be my choice. The only downside is that they don’t have the NFL Network or any of the Nickelodeon channels my kids watch.

I may have a decision to make in a few weeks if DTV doesn’t extend/give me anymore promotions. If I were to choose a streaming option, I think YouTube TV would be my choice. The only downside is that they don’t have the NFL Network or any of the Nickelodeon channels my kids watch.

Philo has the Nick channels, Comedy Central, TV Land and a handful of others YouTubeTV doesn't for $20 per month.

Here's a link to a comparison of several pay streaming services.

https://www.cordcuttersnews.com/you...watch-tv-vs-att-tv-now-updated-december-2019/

Reactions: psmith5532
I've had YouTube TV since PlayStation Vue announced in November that it was shutting down. I've been pleased. You can create six (I think) profiles and can use three of them at once. You'll use the YouTube credentials to access ESPN3/SECN+, etc.

There are plenty of free options out there to supplement whichever service you choose. I can get 60-plus channels in Greenville with an antenna. Your profile says you live in Columbia. Odds are you can get 30 to 40 channels there. Connect an antenna (rabbit ears, etc.) to your TV, set the source to antenna/air, then hit autoprogram/scan. Move the antenna around to find the sweet spot in the room (usually on a wall near a window), but you need to rescan each time.

Go to one of these sites and enter your address info to get an estimate of the channels you can receive. Generally, these places under-estimate. Reception depends on terrain, obstructions, distance from broadcast towers, etc.

https://antennaweb.org/

https://www.rabbitears.info/searchmap.php

http://tvfool.com/index.php?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29

Totally free streaming services (accessible with an Amazon Fire Stick, AppleTV, Roku, etc.) include Pluto, Stirr, Xumo, Tubi, Crackl and many more. Go to Pluto.TV to see about 200 or more channels of free programming.
I have an antenna on the upstairs TV, and I get 30+ channels. But I miss too many other shows and don't have one on the downstairs TV. I also have a Roku. I have explored many of the options but got lazy and stayed with Spectrum. But I'm not paying for another box and this flaky streaming app (Samsung Smart TV app) is the straw that broke the camel's back.

What I need to find is a cheaper internet provider. $65 for internet is too high in this day and time. We don't have Wow around here and Earthlink is too expensive. I should be able to get internet service for $50 a month in the Columbia area.

I have an antenna on the upstairs TV, and I get 30+ channels. But I miss too many other shows and don't have one on the downstairs TV. I also have a Roku. I have explored many of the options but got lazy and stayed with Spectrum. But I'm not paying for another box and this flaky streaming app (Samsung Smart TV app) is the straw that broke the camel's back.

My daughter-in-law has a Samsung Smart TV. Hers can integrate live TV and some of the streaming apps are pre-loaded.

Reactions: OldWiseCock
My daughter-in-law has a Samsung Smart TV. Hers can integrate live TV and some of the streaming apps are pre-loaded.
Yeah, I mean every app you need is installed or can be installed. You don't need a Roku or Firestick. The problem is the Spectrum app is just trash.

I've cut the cord in the past only to have Spectrum jack up the price of internet. At the moment I get a bundled package with internet, phone and TV/ apps plus SEC channels etc for $130. I'm probably good for a year at that price as I just re-negotiated. When my year runs out and if the price escalates I'll cut the cord again. An old school boom antenna in my attic gets all local stations and several not available on Spectrum.

I love Youtube TV. And have had it since it was available in Columbia. I also have a Tablo DVR. It connects to your antenna and your home network. Then you don't have to run the antenna cable to each TV. It can record 4 different channels and send up to 6 streams to your Rokus or whatever. The cool thing is that it has an option to automatically skip commercials in the recordings. I also have a fairly new (a little over a year) Samsung 4K TV. I don't use it builtin apps. The interface and options on the Roku are just better.

I tried the Big 3: Sling, YouTube and Hulu. Ended up settling on Hulu for the price and inclusion of local channels.

One major drawback to all of them is that none of them function nearly as smoothly as cable tv in terms of switching to a different channel.

Reactions: Horseshoe 04
I tried the Big 3: Sling, YouTube and Hulu. Ended up settling on Hulu for the price and inclusion of local channels.

One major drawback to all of them is that none of them function nearly as smoothly as cable tv in terms of switching to a different channel.

that’s why they cost less and are dependent on having reliable internet & either hardwired or strong WiFi access to your streaming device. The guide differs a bit depending on what you use to stream (TV, Roku, Amazon cube looks good because the guide shades over the channel your wAtching so you can hop out of the guide when the commercial is over). I’m Hulu for the same reasons (local & sports & added Disney + for
BABY YODA !

Didn't Hulu TV just go up to $55?

I've cut the cord in the past only to have Spectrum jack up the price of internet. At the moment I get a bundled package with internet, phone and TV/ apps plus SEC channels etc for $130. I'm probably good for a year at that price as I just re-negotiated. When my year runs out and if the price escalates I'll cut the cord again. An old school boom antenna in my attic gets all local stations and several not available on Spectrum.
I'm paying $192 a month for all three. They would not negotiate with me. I think I'll call again, but I need alternative internet and phone service to have bargaining power. I can get ATT internet for $40 a month plus the modem and router but it's their slowest speed. Plus, the price is only good for a year and it has a data cap. At least Spectrum doesn't have a data cap right now.

I've looked into Earthlink, but its really not cheaper. Wow is not available in Columbia so I think I might be out of alternatives.

Just cut directv out of my life after starting YouTube TV, and purchasing 2 firesticks. My vizio’s are a 2013 and 2015 models. They have apps, but YouTube TV is not available on them.

Savings of over $2,200.00 a year since I’m also giving up Sunday ticket. (I’ll to Buffalo Wild Wings or something for lunch with my son if there’s a Packers game that’s not a national game.)

I’ve got a question. I can’t figure it out looking online etc. I picked up the YouTube premium last year to watch Cobra Khai. You can access that series on YouTube TV as well. Any advantages to keeping Premium along with YouTube TV?

Didn't Hulu TV just go up to $55?

$60, that's why I'm dropping it. Really on got it for college football anyway.

One reason I went with Hulu is b/c we have Apple TV on one of our TVs and Amazon Fire Stick on another TV, but Amazon didn't have the YouTubeTV function yet.

that’s why they cost less and are dependent on having reliable internet & either hardwired or strong WiFi access to your streaming device. The guide differs a bit depending on what you use to stream (TV, Roku, Amazon cube looks good because the guide shades over the channel your wAtching so you can hop out of the guide when the commercial is over). I’m Hulu for the same reasons (local & sports & added Disney + for
BABY YODA !

Yes, that was weird to me.

I actually really liked Sling's interface on Amazon Fire Stick. Hated it on Apple TV.

Previous channel would be a game-changer for football season.

Reactions: bayrooster

I actually really liked Sling's interface on Amazon Fire Stick. Hated it on Apple TV.

I tried Sling for a year, but it was subject to freezing and skipping too much for my taste. I did get the Roku box for free.

I noticed when you cursor/arrow down twice during a stream on Youtube TV it shows your recently viewed channels at the bottom (which you can then scroll through left to right), but it almost never puts the most recently viewed channel at the beginning of the list. It must be a "Youtube Sort" of the recent channels ala Yelp sort.

Last edited:
Hulu pricing was more competitive b/c the $50 price included the Hulu with no commercials, which was $12 on it's own. We already had the Hulu with no commercials so adding the live TV option was only $38. Now with the price jump to $60, it's basically a wash between that and YouTube TV.

Philo does not have SEC Network. Pretty sure anyone on this forum would consider that a must have. Hulu and Sling have it. I have tried them all and YouTube TV is the best.
My Philo suggestion was to the person who said YouTubeTV didn't have the Nick channels his kids liked. He could supplement YTTV with that.

Last edited:
Sling is 35 with espn and sec network.

Service was good this year,no freezing of the stream.
I'd have to go with the Orange + plan to get the channels I want. That's $45. I still get more channels on YouTube plus 3 streams and 6 related accounts and Cloud DVR.

Spectrum does not prorate when you terminate service. They bill the full billing cycle. Of course, they leave the service on until then, but it doesn't matter that I am paying for two services. In my case, the service doesn't work. That doesn't matter either. They will spend the time between now and the end of the billing cycle claiming they are trying to fix it.

Lawmakers should address this - unless they take big donations from ATT and Spectrum/Charter.

Just cut directv out of my life after starting YouTube TV, and purchasing 2 firesticks. My vizio’s are a 2013 and 2015 models. They have apps, but YouTube TV is not available on them.

Savings of over $2,200.00 a year since I’m also giving up Sunday ticket. (I’ll to Buffalo Wild Wings or something for lunch with my son if there’s a Packers game that’s not a national game.)

I’ve got a question. I can’t figure it out looking online etc. I picked up the YouTube premium last year to watch Cobra Khai. You can access that series on YouTube TV as well. Any advantages to keeping Premium along with YouTube TV?
Who is your internet provider?

I think I'm sold.

I have Hulu live and will never go back to cable. I also have log ins for Netflix- old roommate/ free, HBO- same/free, Disney+- free for a year with verizon and Amazon Prime video- comes with my prime membership... so I have access to more/better options than any cable package ever gave me, access to any sports I would ever want to watch and more movies than I could even read the titles of in a night...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT