ADVERTISEMENT

OT Daughter's volleyball practice

TheReelEss

Feb 3, 2005
My daughter jammed her thumb at her last club volleyball practice and said it hurts too badly for her to return tomorrow because she won't be able to use that hand to hit, set or even do some warmups. It's a sprain and probably will be good enough before the next practice Monday. She told us she doesn't want to go. I said she should go to be a good teammate. You can also still learn what's going on with the team even if you can't practice. And she could run with the team and do whatever drills they do that don't involve hitting. If you're injured in football, you still go to practice. That's the only frame of reference I have.

What do you think?

Last edited:
If she is well enough to go, then she should go. It is a team sport and teammates support one another in whatever capacity they can (even practice). Hope she gets better soon to fully participate and play, but definitely needs to be at all practices. The coaches and team would respect her more too.

My daughter jammed her thumb at her last club volleyball practice and said it hurts too badly for her to return tomorrow because she won't be able to use that hand to hit, set or even do some warmups. It's a sprain and probably will be good enough before the next practice Monday. She told us she doesn't want to go. I said she should go to be a good teammate. You can also still learn what's going on with the team even if you can't practice. And she could run with the team and do whatever drills they do that don't involve hitting. If you're injured in football, you still go to practice. That's the only frame of reference I have.

What do you think?
How old is your daughter?

Reactions: Out of Conference
I coach girls' volleyball and basketball, and have coached football for many years as well....and like everyone has said, she needs to go. If a kid is too sick to be at school, i excuse them from practice. But just this past season I had a girl break her wrist the 1st week of the season. She came to every practice and every game. And I'll always respect that.

How old is she? Depending on her age, you can’t make her love volleyball in one practice, but you can sure make her hate it. Sometimes a day off is good, but it really depends on the situation. In general, going to practice in this situation, though, would be a good thing for her to gain a different perspective of teamwork, observation, and concentrating on watching other players.

What do you think?

Drag her butt to practice and games or tell her to quit the team...

Your daughter is part of a team and being part of team, they stays together and support each other...

My daughter got a concussion, she was the team captain and end up out meets and practice for 3 weeks, that's half the season in high school swimming...

During that time she was out, my daughter supported her team help coached the swimmers..

My daughter ended up swimming in state after coming back from her concussion and was named female swimmer of the year...

Last edited:
Reactions: Jpcooper
13. And she's going. :)
She is old enough to make her own decisions. I have an 11 year old in which I leave these decisions up to him. Prior to him making his decisions, I walk through the consequences with him. If your daughter understand the consequences (off the team or less playing time) AND loves volleyball, she will make the right decision. Don't push her, guide her.

Reactions: Out of Conference
Too much equivocation in some of these responses. She should be at every team activity she can attend. If she doesn't wish to return next year, then she shouldn't return. Part of growing up is living with the consequences of your choices and not using adversity as an out. I'm assuming she chose to be on this team in the beginning and that she has not been ill-treated or otherwise abused. Every quitter I ever knew quit habitually throughout their lives. It becomes a habit and not a good indicator of success. Playing on sports teams is a year-by-year decision, not a moment-to-moment decision.

Last edited:
Reactions: boatingsportscock
Well, we spent the money because he asked us to. She's going.

That's what I told my daughter about her club volleyball. They lost some players and had to play with only 6, meaning she had to play both front and back row, outside as well as inside, setting when necessary. She wanted to quit. I told her she could quit after the season was over. I spent hard-earned (non-refundable) money because she wanted to play. She had to see it out. She got the "mads" for a few days and then got over it.

GOCOCKS! BEATCLEM! BEATMICH!

That's what I told my daughter about her club volleyball. They lost some players and had to play with only 6, meaning she had to play both front and back row, outside as well as inside, setting when necessary. She wanted to quit. I told her she could quit after the season was over. I spent hard-earned (non-refundable) money because she wanted to play. She had to see it out. She got the "mads" for a few days and then got over it.

GOCOCKS! BEATCLEM! BEATMICH!
That's perfect.

I believe that, perhaps, you should have a calm, caring talk with her to find out if she is playing volleyball because she wants to or because she thinks you want her to play.
It's her idea to play so we ponied up the non-refundable cash for it. This is not her first year of volleyball. I never pushed her to play any sport and this is the only one she has shown any real interest in. She's pretty good. She just came home kind of bummed about the injury and declared she wasn't going to the next practice. After a day I told her she should to be a good teammate and stay out of the coach's doghouse and she didn't argue. Her coach will understand her limitations. She packed all her stuff to go this morning and is riding with a friend after school.

Last edited:
All kids are emotional but a girl especially (speaking in generalities)...I would try to sympathize with her emotions but then tell her that despite the emotions you are feeling you did make this commitment and part of life is seeing through a commitment even when it's not what you envisioned.

My son broke his collar bone during baseball season 2 years back with just a few games to go and I made him go to the practices and games just to be there as a teammate (this is little league, 7 and 8 year olds). His coach gave him a game ball for showing up and my son still talks about going to the games to be a good teammate to this day when we have our little "life talks" - so I'm glad I did that and can use it as a reference now that he's older as an example. Him going to the games/practices of course meant I had to go too and when your kid isn't out there playing and its a sunny Saturday it wasn't top on my list of things to do.

If she truly loved playing the game this would be a nonissue. Need to really have a conversation with her.
Exactly.
My daughter is 13, jammed her thumb similar to this injury it sounds like and played right through it... not saying "my girl is tougher than yours" but apparently she likes Volleyball more!

Exactly.
My daughter is 13, jammed her thumb similar to this injury it sounds like and played right through it... not saying "my girl is tougher than yours" but apparently she likes Volleyball more!
Give me a break. There are varying degrees ok jams / sprains. Get off of your high horse!

Reactions: TheReelEss
Exactly.
She said she did everything in practice today.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT