ADVERTISEMENT

OT. Does money buy happiness?

vacock#

Oct 26, 1998
An interesting web site has this.

link

“It might be true that money can't buy happiness, but recent data suggests that it might help you get there. Psychologists from two universities examined Gallup World Poll data from people all over the world and determined that you are most likely to experience emotional well-being if you earn between $60,000 and $75,000 USD a year. Anything more than that and you are more likely to grow disappointed. The study defined emotional well-being as how a person feels on a typical day. The authors, who noted that the results are for an individual, not a family, also found that people tended to believe they were doing their best when they made $95,000 USD a year, noting that the higher number had to do with "life satisfaction" rather than day-to-day happiness. The study authors surmised that when you start making more money, you tend to want even more, which translates to a sense of not having what you want. The study involved 1.7 million people across 164 countries.”

Beating Cu and winning all our games would buy happiness.

An interesting web site has this.

link

“It might be true that money can't buy happiness, but recent data suggests that it might help you get there. Psychologists from two universities examined Gallup World Poll data from people all over the world and determined that you are most likely to experience emotional well-being if you earn between $60,000 and $75,000 USD a year. Anything more than that and you are more likely to grow disappointed. The study defined emotional well-being as how a person feels on a typical day. The authors, who noted that the results are for an individual, not a family, also found that people tended to believe they were doing their best when they made $95,000 USD a year, noting that the higher number had to do with "life satisfaction" rather than day-to-day happiness. The study authors surmised that when you start making more money, you tend to want even more, which translates to a sense of not having what you want. The study involved 1.7 million people across 164 countries.”

Beating Cu and winning all our games would buy happiness.
If beating Clemson buys happiness and vica versa, money does buy happiness.

Reactions: Art__Vandelay
Having a lot of money makes life easier. Not having to worry about having enough money to pay bills, retire, travel and otherwise enjoy life reduces stress and makes you happier. The only stress involved is making the money, it is hard work unless you inherited it or won a lotto. So how much money do you need to enjoy life, I would say a lot more than $75K per year. How could it be disappointing to make more than $75K per year?

When I made 6 figures I was the most miserable I’d ever been in my life . Would not do it again for Seven figures . Now I make barely enough to pay my bills and mortgage but have all the free time in the world , no stress and generally love going to work everyday . Wouldn’t trade it for any amount of money .

When I made 6 figures I was the most miserable I’d ever been in my life . Would not do it again for Seven figures . Now I make barely enough to pay my bills and mortgage but have all the free time in the world , no stress and generally love going to work everyday . Wouldn’t trade it for any amount of money .
Same. Quit a great paying job a few years back. Why? So i could see my boys more than the hour it took for breakfast and school in the morning. Pay is a little less but i am 5 minutes from home and if timed right we can get in a few hours of fishing in before showers and bed.

Reactions: gamecockblack
stopped for gas recently and there was a guy with what appeared to be a fairly new/recent corvette at the tank in front of me. i'm not a car guy at all, but i quickly admired it and went back to my own business, but couldn't help but notice the guy seemed to be taking a long time to pump gas.

he had walked inside to get paper towels and used one to open the gas tank door. he draped one over the gas tank door, lined the area around the gas cap with paper towel and draped a few over the edge of of the gas tank opening to cover the side of the car. as he took the gas nozzle, he held a paper towel under the nozzle opening as he inserted it into the tank. instead of just using the feature to lock the pump handle in place to pump the gas automatically, he held the nozzle carefully with both hand (i guess case there an earthquake that caused the nozzle to jerk out of the tank mid-pump?). After he was done, he again held a paper towel under the nozzle as he took it out of the tank, removed all the paper towels, closed the gas tank door and then gingerly wiped around the whole area.

It was quite impressive and entertaining attention to detail for such a mundane task as pumping gas. I couldn't help but wonder if that's how meticulous he is when pumping gas, what a pain it must be to keep up with the car in general. I wouldn't even be able to enjoy it. He certainly didn't seem to enjoy it.

Generally when you buy nice things, you instantly become concerned/preoccupied with taking care of them.

Got some friends who are pretty heavily in boating. However, it's such a laborious task to clean the salt water spray from the boat that they use it far less than they would otherwise. Have another friend who has a comparatively junky boat. Not fancy. Few bells and whistles. It basically floats. B/C it isn't super fancy, he doesn't worry so much about cleaning it so meticulously. Probably uses it 4x as much as the other folks. He can kind of take his out on a whim while the others cannot. So I look at it and I think "which of them really enjoys their boat?"

If you've got things, you've got problems.

Last edited:
Working hard all my life allowed me to retire at 50 this year. I had plenty of time to fish, hike, travel and volunteer. That lasted about 45 days until I picked up a sweet gig with a friend working 15 hours a week. It's great not being the boss - I get to come in and leave as I please and my desk isn't stacked with files. My blood pressure is down and I'm in the best shape of my life.

Unfortunately now I'm dealing with a midlife crisis a little late in life.

I think the only way to know for sure is to experience it / try it for one's self. I'm all for trying it out!

Reactions: rogue cock
Same. Quit a great paying job a few years back. Why? So i could see my boys more than the hour it took for breakfast and school in the morning. Pay is a little less but i am 5 minutes from home and if timed right we can get in a few hours of fishing in before showers and bed.

Heck yeah !! That’s what it’s all about . All the money in the world isn’t gonna buy you time and that’s gold . Good for you .

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
"I've been rich and I've been poor. I choose rich every time." Mae West
Money might not buy happiness and it does present its own set of worries. But it can buy you comfort in your self-induced misery.

Dang that’s Mae West ??? I always thought it was Ben Affleck from Boiler Room . Learned something today !!

Reactions: TheReelEss
ask this dude..
iu

Dang that’s Mae West ??? I always thought it was Ben Affleck from Boiler Room . Learned something today !!
I admit I thought it was Burt Reynolds. And I believe he did say something along the lines of "I've been miserable poor and I've been miserable rich. I think I'll take rich."

More of it doesnt buy happiness, but spending it in the right ways makes it a lot easier to be happy in your life. And I'm not just talking about being financially responsible (although most people could certainly stand to improve in that category). I'm also talking about really understanding who you are and being honest about what makes you happy.

Reminds me of a quote from Elon Musk (regardless of how crazy he is) when the lottery hit 1.6 billion. I'll paraphrase it: If you are a miserable and unhappy person and you win the lottery, you will soon be miserable and unhappy because it's just money. But if you are a happy and content person and you win the lottery, you will stay happy and content because it's a lot of money.

Sounded reasonable to me.

Money is nothing more than paper that we use to barter/trade. At one point in time we used goods and services as a way to accomplish the same thing and lived fulfilling lives. Money in and of itself is not necessarily bad, a lot of good can be done with it, but when we begin to place the love for money above values, people, etc...it consumes us. If we aren't careful, we either go crazy trying to get it, or go crazy because we don't have it. A lot of good people, families, relationships, and even entire societies have been ruined by either trying to protect or hoard money.

Money nor material things can buy true happiness. Ask those people on hospice right now if they would trade you all of their money for good health! What about those who have lost loved ones, you think they wouldn't give all they have to bring that person back? We try filling the void with money/material goods, but it's always temporary.

As mention earlier, the most valuable asset we have is time and how we spend it. Once it is lost, you can never get it back. They say the graveyard is the richest place in the world...think of all the dreams/talents/ideas that have been buried. Spending time wisely, creating memories, fulfilling a purpose, and leaving a legacy are truly priceless!

Last edited:
Seeing something I want, and having the means to get it makes me very happy.

Depends. If you’re working yourself into the ground either way, then I’ll take more. If more is killing you and less wouldn’t like Bobby said, then I want less. If we’re talking Simpsonville guy lottery money, essentially money for nothing, I’d be happy as $&@&. My only stress would be what kind of house to buy, and how am I going to be on permanent vacation while my kids are still in school. I’d definitely go everywhere in the world I wanted to see, no exceptions.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT