ADVERTISEMENT

OT: For those who have been to Omaha...

cockdoc2

Sep 6, 2003
Next year, my adult son and I are going to make the pilgrimage to Omaha to watch the first week of the CWS for my 60th birthday. I'm flying out to St. Louis where he lives and we're driving to Omaha.

For those who have been, looking for good advice on where to stay, best places to eat, how to get the best deal on tickets, which side of the stadium you'd prefer to sit in - any and all good suggestions on how to make this the trip of a lifetime...

Thanks in advance.

Doc

I went in 2010, and 2011. The places we stayed in 2010 was bought out by the red dot Indians and went down hill fast. The place we stayed in 2011 (felt like I bought the room since we were there from day one until we won the championship) had a three night minimum but then you could reup as you went along. I heard they changed that, so no help there. Team stayed at Doubletree downtown in 2010. Looked like a nice place to stay. There is a Hampton Inn just down the street from TD Ameritrade and while it is expensive, it is convenient because you don't have to find a place to park. Had some friends stay over in Council Bluffs, Iowa (just across the river) and liked it. Omaha has a LOT of Little League and Pony League tournaments at the same time the CWS is going on, so try to book early.
Parking around the stadium is a premium and you have to get there early. There is a large warehouse on 13th street that has parking (I think it was $40) that is convenient to everything (fan fest, Gamecock Club Hospitality, and shops). We parked there for the whole two weeks. Owner of warehouse was very nice (wife has sister who lives on Lake Murray, we found out).
My favorite restaurant was Cascio's Steakhouse on 10th street. EVERYTHING was delicious. Went there multiple times. The Drover in my opinion was just ok. We had a party of 10 and they would not split the check. I hate that. Liberty Tavern and Spezio's was also very good. Zesto's has also moved downtown, so try them out (a CWS MUST at the old stadium).
Part of our group were there only for the Carolina games and were not interested in seeing the other teams. As a baseball fan, I was there for the experience. I think I missed only one or two games in 2011. Got our Carolina game tickets through the Gamecock Club. Bought other game tickets thru ticket "hawkers" on the street. Except for opening day, and the finals, tickets are easy to come by. We always waited until just about game time and bought the cheapest we could find which generally was face value. Was never in the upper deck until the Championship series when the big-dog donors came in and we were booted upstairs (I was pissed after spending 2 weeks supporting the team, and they came in for the Championship and took our seats).
Seating is better on the third base side of stadium (in my opinion) because if you are on first base side and under the upper deck seats, you CANNOT see the scoreboard in right field. They have TV monitors mounted above your head to watch. Upper deck is not bad if you can get a low seat. Bleacher outfield not too bad, but I never stayed there for more than an inning before moving.
Hope this helps some. Enjoy your trip and I hope the Gamecocks are there!!!!

Anthony's steak house, with the big cow out front, excellent steaks, I highly
recommend it. Best we had while we were there.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT