ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Golf swing instructors on YouTube

OldWiseCock

Apr 3, 2019
Columbia
Does anyone besides me watch these videos and then practice what you learn? (Cheap man's golf lessons LOL)

I watch a fair number of them at night and sometimes on my lunch break. The 3 guys I especially like are Danny Maude, Adam Bazalgette, and Clay Ballard. From what I can tell, Clay's lessons are more for advanced golfers and the other two are for average golfers like me.

I recently watched the two videos by Danny Maude I've linked below, and it made sense to me. I had been taught that the rotation or turn started with the hips and then the shoulders. The hips went 45 degrees and the shoulders as close to 90 degrees as your flexibility allowed.

These two lessons forced me to rethink that. The effect is the same - that is, the hips and shoulders turn - but there is less swaying and twisting if you try it the way Danny teaches. Anyway, yesterday and today I practiced this at the driving range and damn if it didn't work. By work I mean I hit the ball straight. No pull hooks or high floating slices. I also didn't hit behind the ball as much and when I did I only missed by a half inch or so instead hitting 3-4 inches behind the ball.

Take a look.

Used to watch them a lot until my instructor (who instructed Doc Redman until college) told me those videos are a great way to screw up your swing.

He could be trying to drum up his own instruction sales, but he said listening to 10 different youtube guys telling you 20 different things, while not being present to evaluate what you're actually doing, will usually do more harm than good. And I had pre-paid for 6 months of lessons at that point, so he already had my money.

So now I don't watch those vids anymore.

I enjoy watching Rick Shiels' golf instructional videos. Only problem is that after watching several of them, I find myself edging toward a British accent. For example, many of my approach shots find their way into a greenside "boonkah."

Last edited:
I enjoy watching Rick Shiel's golf instructional videos. Only problem is that after watching several of them, I find myself edging toward a British accent. For example, many of my approach shots find their way into a greenside "boonkah."
I like his product testing and other more fun than instructional videos.

Reactions: OldWiseCock
Does anyone besides me watch these videos and then practice what you learn? (Cheap man's golf lessons LOL)

I watch a fair number of them at night and sometimes on my lunch break. The 3 guys I especially like are Danny Maude, Adam Bazalgette, and Clay Ballard. From what I can tell, Clay's lessons are more for advanced golfers and the other two are for average golfers like me.

I recently watched the two videos by Danny Maude I've linked below, and it made sense to me. I had been taught that the rotation or turn started with the hips and then the shoulders. The hips went 45 degrees and the shoulders as close to 90 degrees as your flexibility allowed.

These two lessons forced me to rethink that. The effect is the same - that is, the hips and shoulders turn - but there is less swaying and twisting if you try it the way Danny teaches. Anyway, yesterday and today I practiced this at the driving range and damn if it didn't work. By work I mean I hit the ball straight. No pull hooks or high floating slices. I also didn't hit behind the ball as much and when I did I only missed by a half inch or so instead hitting 3-4 inches behind the ball.

Take a look.

I'll take a look. I'm a junkie.

Is he the dude that will play a round with a set of junior's clubs from Walmart?

I like that guy, too.
I watched him do a video about Callaway clubs he got from Costco where the set was less than they sell new drivers for. At the end he said he really liked the clubs and said it made him question why they charge so much so some of their other clubs.

Reactions: leftneck
Used to watch them a lot until my instructor (who instructed Doc Redman until college) told me those videos are a great way to screw up your swing.

He could be trying to drum up his own instruction sales, but he said listening to 10 different youtube guys telling you 20 different things, while not being present to evaluate what you're actually doing, will usually do more harm than good. And I had pre-paid for 6 months of lessons at that point, so he already had my money.

No use having a doctor if you aren't going to listen to that person.

I watched him do a video about Callaway clubs he got from Costco where the set was less than they sell new drivers for. At the end he said he really liked the clubs and said it made him question why they charge so much so some of their other clubs.
He also tested a "TaylorMade" driver he ordered from Wish.com at an insanely low price. He concluded it was "absolute joonk" and was clearly a fake. He couldn't hit it straight and it actually broke after about 5 drives.

Reactions: Dizzy01

Interesting take. I think they have different ways of teaching the same fundamentals.

I think it is true that you or I will never be a scratch golfer by watching videos, but I think they help. Especially if there is a specific flaw you are working on and you are willing to practice.

Reactions: king ward
Rick Shiels
I have heard of him, but I don't think I've watched his videos.

The 3 I mentioned have put up videos that really helped my game.

My short game is the best part of my game, but I'm going to watch the chipping video posted above. You never know when you might find out something you are doing incorrectly.

Man, I need something, I've played golf off and on for 50 years and I would say my chipping has always been a strong suit of my game, but lately it's like I've got the yips, especially off of tight lies. I'll usually just putt it or bump and run a 8 iron which is embarrassing if you've ever had any touch!

Man, I need something, I've played golf off and on for 50 years and I would say my chipping has always been a strong suit of my game, but lately it's like I've got the yips, especially off of tight lies. I'll usually just putt it or bump and run a 8 iron which is embarrassing if you've ever had any touch!
Been playing over 50 years. Older I got, less touch I have on tight lies. Better results with clubs you mention on fridges. Also, stopped with 3 wood on tight fairway lies, use 4 wood with little loss of yards, better results.

Been playing over 50 years. Older I got, less touch I have on tight lies. Better results with clubs you mention on fridges. Also, stopped with 3 wood on tight fairway lies, use 4 wood with little loss of yards, better results.
I've got hybrids in my bag now to replace the 3 thru 9 irons. As for chipping off of tight lies, especially in the wintertime when the Bermudagrass is dormant, I've swallowed by pride. I'll use the flat stick now from places I never imagined a few years back.

He also tested a "TaylorMade" driver he ordered from Wish.com at an insanely low price. He concluded it was "absolute joonk" and was clearly a fake. He couldn't hit it straight and it actually broke after about 5 drives.
My father-in-law was looking for a new golfball and was just watching reviews and ran across his review for the Top-Flight Gamer ball and sent it to me. I told him it wouldn’t hurt to try them if he wanted and he loves them. It certainly hasn’t impacted his score at all and he said he’d rather spend the $20 difference in balls on burgers at the clubhouse.

I've got hybrids in my bag now to replace the 3 thru 9 irons. As for chipping off of tight lies, especially in the wintertime when the Bermudagrass is dormant, I've swallowed by pride. I'll use the flat stick now from places I never imagined a few years back.
I got a hybrid 3 a couple weeks ago and I’m still trying to figure it out. When I hit it solid it is something else but when I don’t boy it’s bad.

One thing I have been doing with it is using it for longer “bump and runs”. If I’m 5-10 yards off the green I’ll choke down and then swing a putt stroke with it. I seem to get great control and more consistent roll with it.

I got a hybrid 3 a couple weeks ago and I’m still trying to figure it out. When I hit it solid it is something else but when I don’t boy it’s bad.

One thing I have been doing with it is using it for longer “bump and runs”. If I’m 5-10 yards off the green I’ll choke down and then swing a putt stroke with it. I seem to get great control and more consistent roll with it.
The hybrids I have, a clubmaker I know down in Florida put them together for me. They have allowed me to hit approach shots I haven't been able to hit in years.

In my 20+ years of playing, chipping has always been my weak spot.Then I discovered the chipping video above about 7 years ago.it really helped out.I got lazy and got away from it but went back to it yesterday and shot my career best of 71.im normally an 80 shooter.i also used the putting tip above as well. One clevet to my score is I had to play from the sr tees, but it's not as easy as you think if you can't pitch /chip or putt.

In my 20+ years of playing, chipping has always been my weak spot.Then I discovered the chipping video above about 7 years ago.it really helped out.I got lazy and got away from it but went back to it yesterday and shot my career best of 71.im normally an 80 shooter.i also used the putting tip above as well. One clevet to my score is I had to play from the sr tees, but it's not as easy as you think if you can't pitch /chip or putt.
Great round. Congratulations.

Which putting tip? I missed it.

My father-in-law was looking for a new golfball and was just watching reviews and ran across his review for the Top-Flight Gamer ball and sent it to me. I told him it wouldn’t hurt to try them if he wanted and he loves them. It certainly hasn’t impacted his score at all and he said he’d rather spend the $20 difference in balls on burgers at the clubhouse.
The Gamer ball is very good for the price. It's a three-piece ball that affords plenty of feel and spin, which is rare in a ball of that price.

Which putting tip? I missed it.
It's the 1st link in the reply I did.Its kinda easy to miss as there was no thumbnail.if you have distance control issues, this should help a lot.for me, there is no guessing.me I use 3-4 points:halfway(5-6 ft), just inside right ft(10 or so ft), over right ft(15-20) and past right ft(25+)..im lazy so I just guess when I walk on the green how far I'm away.lol.naturally you have to adjust for uphill/downhill, wet conditions.i like it when I putted Thursday and they said “thats good”..

I used to watch them, the first time trying out the new tips was usually golden. But I could never do it consistently. Then I’d go down another rabbit hole. The biggest issue to me is what you feel like you are doing in the swing can be far from what you are actually doing.

I’m going to a local guy in Charlotte, still early but very pleased with my first real attempt at in-person golf lessons.

I’m tired of feeling like I have a different swing every time I play.

I watch Paige Spiranac golf videos a lot. I don’t play golf, nor do I own a single golf club. Heck, I don’t find golf interesting at all usually. For some reason, however, I find her videos quite inspirational.

I used to watch them, the first time trying out the new tips was usually golden. But I could never do it consistently. Then I’d go down another rabbit hole. The biggest issue to me is what you feel like you are doing in the swing can be far from what you are actually doing.

I’m going to a local guy in Charlotte, still early but very pleased with my first real attempt at in-person golf lessons.

That's a bad feeling. It's especially bad if you play often enough to where you feel you shouldn't be in that shape.

Reactions: JamesRob
Best thing for my game is to not play/practice. I can show up after 2 months off and play very good. Then it gets worse.

Best thing for my game is to not play/practice. I can show up after 2 months off and play very good. Then it gets worse.
I feel you there. I’ve been able to play twice a week lately and it feels like I’m getting worse. I’ll play a round where everything is great off the tee but the second shot kills me. Then 3 days later the driver is spraying everywhere but anything 30 yards from the green in is amazing. Then 3 days later I’m on every green in regulation and can’t hit a 3 foot putt. I’ve been thinking for the last 20 years someday it will all come together…

Take a look.

I’m so old, I remember when golf was a gentleman’s game🤣

The Kirkland Signature balls at Costco are an outstanding value, solid performance. I’ve played them a few times.

They aren’t Pro-V1 quality, that’s the gold standard. I mostly play the Pro-V1 but I’ve got a stockpile from a relative that lives near a golf course at the beach. Amazing how many of those he finds and sells cheap.

I feel you there. I’ve been able to play twice a week lately and it feels like I’m getting worse. I’ll play a round where everything is great off the tee but the second shot kills me. Then 3 days later the driver is spraying everywhere but anything 30 yards from the green in is amazing. Then 3 days later I’m on every green in regulation and can’t hit a 3 foot putt. I’ve been thinking for the last 20 years someday it will all come together…
Same thoughts I have, hard to put all phases together for an entire round. But the chase is what makes it so fun.

Are you chipping or pitching? I chip the ball a lot more these days than I used to mainly because I find it easier to make clean contact with a chip.

That can be a problem. But I don't make big changes after watching videos. Instead, I look for the little things I may be doing wrong like grip, balance, swing plane, hands and turn. I also look for the common elements from these online videos. That's why I settled on these three instructors. As I said, they have different methods for teaching the same thing. Maude teaches weight shift to get the proper hip turn and shoulder rotation. Ballard and Bazalgette teach hip turn and shoulder rotation to get the proper weight shift. There's really no difference - just 2 ways to get to the same place. In practice, they feel the same to me. But as I said, Maude made me realize that I was swinging too flat and twisting. My center of gravity was moving to the right and I could not get back to square.

Usually I can fix what is wrong and it is almost always a fundamental. If I can't I will take a lesson or two from Harry Haney at Lake Murray Golf.

Reactions: cockn'fyr
I consider anything just off the green 15-25' a chip, and I think someone with a single digit hdcp. should get up and down 50-60% of the time. I started out chipping pretty good yesterday and shot 41 front, on the back it fell off badly 48, several missed chips, it matters and I will be watching the videos, thanks. Granted, if you miss greens at Oakhills, you will pay the price, lots of sever slopes around the greens out there, not a lot of bump and runs, so that percentage goes down. By the way that course is in amazing condition and probably the best value in Columbia, only problem is everybody knows it!

That can be a problem. But I don't make big changes after watching videos. Instead, I look for the little things I may be doing wrong like grip, balance, swing plane, hands and turn. I also look for the common elements from these online videos. That's why I settled on these three instructors. As I said, they have different methods for teaching the same thing. Maude teaches weight shift to get the proper hip turn and shoulder rotation. Ballard and Bazalgette teach hip turn and shoulder rotation to get the proper weight shift. There's really no difference - just 2 ways to get to the same place. In practice, they feel the same to me. But as I said, Maude made me realize that I was swinging too flat and twisting. My center of gravity was moving to the right and I could not get back to square.

Usually I can fix what is wrong and it is almost always a fundamental. If I can't I will take a lesson or two from Harry Haney at Lake Murray Golf.
Exactly, you can't take too much from a video and try to apply it, it will just mess you up. just take a few things to the range you'll find out pretty quick if they work for you. Same as on the course, don't have too many swing thoughts when you're standing over a shot or you'll take the fun out of it, work those things out on the range, it's a feel game that should come natural when you're playing your best!

Exactly, you can't take too much from a video and try to apply it, it will just mess you up. just take a few things to the range you'll find out pretty quick if they work for you. Same as on the course, don't have too many swing thoughts when you're standing over a shot or you'll take the fun out of it, work those things out on the range, it's a feel game that should come natural when you're playing your best!
I agree 100%. You can't practice these things during a round. You go to the range to practice and hope your muscle memory will kick in when you are playing.

Reactions: king ward
I agree 100%. You can't practice these things during a round. You go to the range to practice and hope your muscle memory will kick in when you are playing.
I practice more than anyone in my group, and we have one guy who has a launch monitor in his garage. I like hitting balls and do it year-round. I find it relaxing. I also find that you can get in a rhythm on the driving range that beguiles you into thinking you've found something. Most of the time, that "something" you found lasts maybe three holes on the golf course. I'm taking "something" to the course tomorrow that beguiled me this afternoon.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT