ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Harry Potter

Carolina4

Oct 9, 2006
Im late to the party on this one. Never knew anything about these books or films. Just finished the 3rd book and movie. I like the 3rd film better than the previous 2, though they don’t do the books justice.

Anyone ever been to Universal for Diagon Alley and Hogsmeade? Thinking of heading there once I finish reading. Drive from Tampa isn’t too far.

Reactions: funktavious
Books are great, and the cohesion of the story from the first book to the 7th is incredible. Movies are ok, there’s just too much info to fit into a movie.
My wife went to Harry Potter world and loved it, I haven’t gotten a chance quite yet.

Books are great, and the cohesion of the story from the first book to the 7th is incredible. Movies are ok, there’s just too much info to fit into a movie.
My wife went to Harry Potter world and loved it, I haven’t gotten a chance quite yet.

That’s my take away so far with the movies. Sort of choppy and some scenes are very short just to squeeze a detail in. I imagine they’d be very bad to watch if one hasn’t read the books.

Reactions: lowcountry_cock13
I'm not ashamed to admit, I probably know more about Harry Potter than anyone I know. I didn't start the books until 2003. I'd say I've read all of them 3-5 times each.
Harry Potter at Universal is pretty cool. Pay a little more for the ticket upgrade to ride the train between Hogsmeade/Hogwarts and Diagon Alley. On your first time through the rides, go through the regular line. It adds to the experience. Additional rides, I'd skip to the single rider line.

Im late to the party on this one. Never knew anything about these books or films. Just finished the 3rd book and movie. I like the 3rd film better than the previous 2, though they don’t do the books justice.

Anyone ever been to Universal for Diagon Alley and Hogsmeade? Thinking of heading there once I finish reading. Drive from Tampa isn’t too far.
The first 2 films do the books justice, and that's part of the problem. I enjoyed the first 2 books, but they were weak compared to those later in the series. Her writing (or her editor's) improved greatly as the series went on. The first two movies (produced by Chris Columbus) were very true to the books, and were geared to a younger audience.
As for favorites: Character-wise, I liked book-Ron, Umbridge, and Snape. The latter two weren't particularly likable, but were well-written.
Movie-wise, Goblet of Fire and Prisoner of Azkaban.

The first 2 films do the books justice, and that's part of the problem. I enjoyed the first 2 books, but they were weak compared to those later in the series. Her writing (or her editor's) improved greatly as the series went on. The first two movies (produced by Chris Columbus) were very true to the books, and were geared to a younger audience.
As for favorites: Character-wise, I liked book-Ron, Umbridge, and Snape. The latter two weren't particularly likable, but were well-written.
Movie-wise, Goblet of Fire and Prisoner of Azkaban.

I read Prisoner of Azkaban did the worst at the box office. I guess that’s what happens being one of the middle movies. Enjoyed it a lot. If the books get better I’m excited about the next 4 books. I think I always figured Harry Potter was middle-school aged reading. I’m almost 40 and reading.

Last edited:
I read Prisoner of Azkaban did the worst at the box office. I guess that’s what happens being one of the middle movies. Enjoyed it a lot. If the books get better I’m excited about the next 4 books. I think I walkways figures Harry Potter was middle-school aged reading. I’m almost 40 and reading.
That was my reason for resisting my wife's requests to read the books for several years: I thought they were just kiddie books. I got bored at the beach one afternoon and read the entire first book sitting by the pool. Read the whole 2nd book that night. Finished the 3rd, 4th, and 5th that week. Then had to wait for the final 2 books to be published.

Here's an interesting sub-text to add to certain novels throughout the series: Is Ron a seer? Especially in the 3rd book, its amazing how many of Ron's fake-premonitions actually come true.

Honestly, I didn't get into them until Little Man got old enough to really watch movies and we started reading the books together. So in the last 8 years or so? He was 2 when The Deathly Hallows book was released.

I knew of them but nothing about them. Seriously, nothing.

Haha got it. I read it as you almost not knowing it even existed.

I started reading in probably 2nd grade, so 2000. I think I started right when Goblet of Fire (4th one) came out. Was at the midnight release of 5, 6, and 7. Have read them all at least twice.

That’s my take away so far with the movies. Sort of choppy and some scenes are very short just to squeeze a detail in. I imagine they’d be very bad to watch if one hasn’t read the books.
That’s why they split the 7th book into two movies. Way too much to miss

Read these books years ago...multiple times. I love the books, but also love the movies. But I couldn't imagine watching the movies without reading the books first. Not sure how you would know what's going on. The series definitely gets darker and more adult as it goes on. Whenever I'm flipping the TV and I see one of the movies on, I still stop and watch.

Reactions: funktavious
Wait a second... Never knew anything about these books or films?!?!?
Sounds like me with The Godfather series. I finally watched #1 a few years ago. Most people think it's a big deal but I don't think I've been missing anything.

I'm not ashamed to admit, I probably know more about Harry Potter than anyone I know.
I accept that challenge! I'm a major HP nerd too. We have a Harry Potter room in our house with walls painted like a castle, suits of armor, Fat Lady on the door, Mirror of Erised, Goblet of Fire, etc. Check out Sporcle.com and do a search for Harry Potter. There are a TON of quizzes out there just for nerds like us. :>)

Shannon
USC '88

I have read the last 1 and listened to the audio of all the others on YouTube.

Read all the books and watched all the movies. I always heard that the books were written for her children and the books became more mature as her children aged. That's especially impressive coming from someone who'd never had anything published before. While we are on the subject of Fantasy novels, why hasn't Chris Paolini written more? He blew up on the scene with the book Eragon when he was like 15. He did that series which I really enjoyed and its been almost nothing since.

Read all the books and watched all the movies. I always heard that the books were written for her children and the books became more mature as her children aged. That's especially impressive coming from someone who'd never had anything published before. While we are on the subject of Fantasy novels, why hasn't Chris Paolini written more? He blew up on the scene with the book Eragon when he was like 15. He did that series which I really enjoyed and its been almost nothing since.
I don't have a solid answer, but I read Eragon and didn't think Paolini was much of a writer. Decent story idea he had, but...

I accept that challenge! I'm a major HP nerd too. We have a Harry Potter room in our house with walls painted like a castle, suits of armor, Fat Lady on the door, Mirror of Erised, Goblet of Fire, etc. Check out Sporcle.com and do a search for Harry Potter. There are a TON of quizzes out there just for nerds like us. :>)

Shannon
USC '88
Okay, I've taken one quiz. (Aced it, but it wasn't impressive.) It looks like they have some petty HP quizzes on there...which is perfect. I'm a petty fan.

Another avid HP reader here. After reading all the books, I picked up one of the books on CD from the library. Now, I often listen during my commutes and dragging the kids around. I am still amazed by JK and these stories. And honestly, we often gravitate toward HP discussions around the house when discussing life.

As for Universal, we just took the family over Christmas break. It is beautifully well done. I could wander Diagon Alley all day.

My list of HP complaints:
1. Taking the flying car when the train entrance was blocked. Just wait 30 minutes, you morons! Or maybe send an owl.
2. Time-turners. Worst plot device ever.
3. Barty Crouch Jr. getting the dementor's kiss before confirming Voldemort's return AND Peter Pettigrew escaping before clearing Sirus Black's name. More awful plot devices.

I read the first three to my third graders when they first came out. I never got into them myself.

I read the books starting around 2001, I think, and read 'em all. My wife and I have seen the movies and we try to rewatch a couple every year (I think my favorite is the first film) and eventually I'll go back and reread after I retire.

The one thing I hated was that as Harry, Hermione and Ron Weasley aged, they became more like teenagers and young (and not so young) adults -- lot of whining at points. Just like in real life, I guess.

That said, I think Rowling created a masterpiece on a lot of levels. It hooks you. I'm a fan.

It's definitely worth visiting at Universal. Those areas of the two parks tend to be A LOT more crowded than the rest though so it definitely helps to catch them on a week day or something when they aren't quite as busy. They also used to open those two areas up an hour early for guests staying in Universal resorts.

Get the park hopper pass so you can ride the train between Hogsmeade and Diagon Alley.

Speaking of re-reading the books: after reading Books 1-5 over the course of a week, I was completely hooked. But, I think it took about 2 years for Half Blood Prince to be released. So, I re-read, re-read, re-read. I think I got through 1-5 about 4 times each. During the summer, I'd take a book, lounge chair and cooler of beer to the back yard. I'd read, drink, and catch rays. Since it was about 95 degrees each day, of course I'd sweat like a pig while reading. As I'd rest the book in my lap or on my stomach, the pages absorbed my sweat...which leads to molded, mildewed books. The set we have in our house is the replacement set for the books I ruined.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT