ADVERTISEMENT

OT: How to punish China?

Being serious on this. Apply wage and environmental parity tariffs. Companies went to China for the cheap labor and they can pollute all they want. Have you seen the pictures of all the toxic stuff dumped in the rivers and on the ground? Heck sometimes, airliners have to do instrument landings due to all the dust.

Didn’t read yet but electric cars last a lot longer and you don’t need gas stations.

But the electricity for those cars is generated by coal fired plants. I saw a charging station that was powered by a generator. Talk about irony. Hell, even the wonderful green wind turbines use more materials and energy to make, install and maintain them than they will ever produce.

But the electricity for those cars is generated by coal fired plants. I saw a charging station that was powered by a generator. Talk about irony. Hell, even the wonderful green wind turbines use more materials and energy to make, install and maintain them than they will ever produce.

Cheaper to remove pollutants at the generation plant than in each vehicle. Current wind turbines kill protected species birds, BTW. Not irony so much as a red herring.

Cheaper to remove pollutants at the generation plant than in each vehicle. Current wind turbines kill protected species birds, BTW. Not irony so much as a red herring.
I heard those wind turbines also cause cancer...

Reactions: mavcock
It’s interesting how connected all of this is. The dependence on Chinese goods came when the drive for profit over took taking care of employees. The drive for profit came when it was decided to tie CEO bonuses to stock performance. So everyone is concerned about the stock market and the reliance on Chinese goods but they are a result of our own policies.

In terms of trade the easy thing would have been to offer tax breaks for companies that get the majority of their goods and supplies from US companies and provide tax breaks for companies to return jobs back to the US and not use foreign VISAs for cheap labor.

Of course since we already them the world instead of tying it to anything all they did was take their increased profits and buy back stocks which artificially inflated stock performance and impacted CEO bonuses.

It’s the circle or corporate life.

A lot of that is true. But....

About 30-35% of the cost of goods is typically labor. The hourly wage in China is $3.60. The average hourly wage here in the US is $27.16 per hour. The minimum is still twice China's at $7.25. The benefits gap is even worse.

Many in the media try to deny it, but labor costs is a big reason production moved to China. The Democrats idea of $15.00 would finish us off. They also try to use our corporations as cash cows with taxes to fund their social engineering projects. Taxes on domestic companies should be zero. Nothing up a pass thru tax on customers.

You can't demand companies pay a bunch of taxes and pay people are lot, yet expect them to make cheaper products. Tariffs are the answer.

Are you going to admit that the Trump Administration tried to cover it up/minimize the severity of it when it first came out? I don't doubt that China covered it up and scapegoated the doctor, but when Trump said that it would magically go away and it was under control, he sure didn't do Americans any favors. If you don't acknowledge that, you are nothing but a hypocrite.

He said they had it under control based on what they knew from China at the time. That was in January, yet he still declared a national health emergency, starting quarantining people for the first time in 50 years, and created the coronavirus task force. Most of what we knew was based on what China told us, and now we weren't told everything. He said that on Jan. 22nd. The first death was in China just days earlier. He couldn't have said anything other than they had it under control. Anything else, and absolutely panic would have set in. But meanwhile, he was slowly locking things down and preparing for the worst.

The magically disappear quote is taken out of context. That's pretty dishonest. He said “It’s going to disappear. One day it’s like a miracle, it will disappear from our shores, you know, it could get worse before it gets better. Could maybe go away. We’ll see what happens. Nobody really knows.” He was referring to the seasonality of the virus. He wasn't downplaying the seriousness.

A lot of that is true. But....

About 30-35% of the cost of goods is typically labor. The hourly wage in China is $3.60. The average hourly wage here in the US is $27.16 per hour. The minimum is still twice China's at $7.25. The benefits gap is even worse.

Many in the media try to deny it, but labor costs is a big reason production moved to China. The Democrats idea of $15.00 would finish us off. They also try to use our corporations as cash cows with taxes to fund their social engineering projects. Taxes on domestic companies should be zero. Nothing up a pass thru tax on customers.

You can't demand companies pay a bunch of taxes and pay people are lot, yet expect them to make cheaper products. Tariffs are the answer.
I absolutely understand the last part. That said if it’s all tied together I don’t see an issue with it. Companies shouldn’t be rewarded for sending jobs overseas or insane wage gaps from the CEO to the front line employee. Walmart and Disney are among the worst with this and despite all the talk about welfare reform we don’t care that one of the nations largest employers helps new hires file for government assistance while five people getting paid are on the list of richest people in the world. Disney brought over computer people from India and asked the American workers to train them as their replacements while Iger is making millions of dollars off the backs of park employees who are living in their cars. Explain to me why they deserve a billion dollar tax break.

I absolutely understand the last part. That said if it’s all tied together I don’t see an issue with it. Companies shouldn’t be rewarded for sending jobs overseas or insane wage gaps from the CEO to the front line employee. Walmart and Disney are among the worst with this and despite all the talk about welfare reform we don’t care that one of the nations largest employers helps new hires file for government assistance while five people getting paid are on the list of richest people in the world. Disney brought over computer people from India and asked the American workers to train them as their replacements while Iger is making millions of dollars off the backs of park employees who are living in their cars. Explain to me why they deserve a billion dollar tax break.

I agree. It's a systematic issue. Both sides deserve a lot of blame.

One thing I would like to see of this is for the companies that used their tax breaks for stock buyback be excluded from this bailout. Let them undo their buybacks and then put them at the end of the line for this bailout for any leftovers.

He said they had it under control based on what they knew from China at the time. That was in January, yet he still declared a national health emergency, starting quarantining people for the first time in 50 years, and created the coronavirus task force. Most of what we knew was based on what China told us, and now we weren't told everything. He said that on Jan. 22nd. The first death was in China just days earlier. He couldn't have said anything other than they had it under control. Anything else, and absolutely panic would have set in. But meanwhile, he was slowly locking things down and preparing for the worst.

The magically disappear quote is taken out of context. That's pretty dishonest. He said “It’s going to disappear. One day it’s like a miracle, it will disappear from our shores, you know, it could get worse before it gets better. Could maybe go away. We’ll see what happens. Nobody really knows.” He was referring to the seasonality of the virus. He wasn't downplaying the seriousness.
So he was relying on China's responses to say that it was going to disappear? Slowly locking things down? I can't believe you would believe this lying SOB we have as a President about anything on the virus. Remember when he didn't those cruise ship travelers to come to the US because it would "hurt the numbers".
You don't lie to the American people saying that we have it under control when it isn't. You don't say that a vaccine or a treatment is available, when it isn't. Americans will die because of Trump's fiddling while the US burns.

Reactions: howard13
So he was relying on China's responses to say that it was going to disappear? Slowly locking things down? I can't believe you would believe this lying SOB we have as a President about anything on the virus. Remember when he didn't those cruise ship travelers to come to the US because it would "hurt the numbers".
You don't lie to the American people saying that we have it under control when it isn't. You don't say that a vaccine or a treatment is available, when it isn't. Americans will die because of Trump's fiddling while the US burns.
Wow, you are totally 100% indoctrinated by the far left. I don't even know how to respond to that so I won't. Good luck with all that manufactured hate.Eyerollo_O

Reactions: broken_cock_

What are you even talking about?

One thing that cuts across political lines and has been a point that liberals and conservatives are united on is the fact that China facilitated the spread of this virus by covering it up. They went so far as to treat as criminal their own healthcare professionals who tried to sound the alarm about this virus, silencing them and even placing at least one on house arrest. Internally, they've clamped down on internet references to their involvement in the spread of the virus. One recent study estimated that China could have reduced the worldwide impact of this virus by 95% if they had acted immediately, instead of covering it up.

It's so silly. This has become a worldwide nightmare. Societies are literally shutting down and economies crashing. All because China covered this thing up. People in America are dying, at the worst, or experiencing financial hardship at the least. And it's all directly due to one country: China. As I saw stated in the Washington Post, this amounts to nothing less than biological warfare.

Which leads to one question: Is there any mechanism whereby they can be "punished" for this nefarious activity? The world is so dependent on Chinese goods.

World leaders are scared to death now they know how easily China could succeed in a full scale biological war. I call this a warm up.

Communism is incompatible with humanity, period! China should be isolated from the world, and hopefully the Chinese peasants revolt and turn their backs on a cruel, unfaithful, and dishonest Communist regime. Communist China a threat to all free people.

Are you going to admit that the Trump Administration tried to cover it up/minimize the severity of it when it first came out? I don't doubt that China covered it up and scapegoated the doctor, but when Trump said that it would magically go away and it was under control, he sure didn't do Americans any favors. If you don't acknowledge that, you are nothing but a hypocrite.

I believe he tried to combat what the media eventually succeeded in by getting the US population whipped up into a frenzied panic. As I recall you TDS sufferers and the media were promoting the impeachment hoax when PDT was shutting down travel to/from China.

You may want to get that TDS-24/7/365 looked at, but I understand there's no cure. That's the real pandemic in the US.

Please get that TDS-24/7/365 looked at. No cure yet, but they can keep you from spreading it by putting a muzzle on it.

I really hope this whole fiasco shows the world that you simply can't trust a single thing China says. My fear is that once things subside, everything will just go back to normal.
I don't think you can trust what any government says, including our own.

Reactions: howard13

It would hurt the numbers, and it's absolutely a numbers game when it comes to letting infected people get off a boat and infect others.

That's a lie. He did more than any President would have done, and he did it soon. Obama did nothing other than count the infected with the swine flu, ZERO travel restrictions. ZERO quarantines. Trump did BOTH in January before there was even one death in America and even before a test was available. Obama did NOTHING but count the infected and almost 13,000 American died from something that is about 100 times LESS deadly than coronavirus.

And, no, he didn't run around with his hair on fire because that would have caused absolute panic, especially for virus that we had only known about for only a few weeks. China is the one that fiddled, not Trump.

I don’t know. But I always make it a point to do my absolute best to not buy things that say MADE IN CHINA. Mostly all of it is communist crap just like their government. It’s sickening the way they treat their citizens.

I don't disagree, but Americans could never get unified behind the idea of paying 10-20% more for goods.

I would love for this to become the impetus for us becoming less dependent on China. Part of the problem is they are so darn huge. Companies desperately want to tap into that market. The NBA wet itself over the Chinese market.
I’ll pay more for USA made.

Nailed it. If we’re lucky a new “Made in America” trend will take hold except this time, we’ll really mean it.
Made in America will increase
India will be able to get a lot of China market also
China will not like the outcome & will be very aggressive.

Considering every other country is probably going to be pissed at China too......go to the UN and screw China to the wall with sanctions and essentially lock them the hell down until they clean up their crappy, communist country.

Ps....forget "trade war".....there will be no trading with the United States at all. Pss..... not one sanction will be lifted until those illegal military bases are removed from the S. China Sea.

In short, crush them and crush their economy.

We're pretty much already doing what we need to do with China. 1. Don't trust their governement or media. 2. Boycott Chinese made products. 3. Continue to detach by promoting business relationships with alternative nations such as India, Vietnam, and Mexico. 4. Start making the importance stuff we can ourselves.

One thing that cuts across political lines and has been a point that liberals and conservatives are united on is the fact that China facilitated the spread of this virus by covering it up. They went so far as to treat as criminal their own healthcare professionals who tried to sound the alarm about this virus, silencing them and even placing at least one on house arrest. Internally, they've clamped down on internet references to their involvement in the spread of the virus. One recent study estimated that China could have reduced the worldwide impact of this virus by 95% if they had acted immediately, instead of covering it up.

It's so silly. This has become a worldwide nightmare. Societies are literally shutting down and economies crashing. All because China covered this thing up. People in America are dying, at the worst, or experiencing financial hardship at the least. And it's all directly due to one country: China. As I saw stated in the Washington Post, this amounts to nothing less than biological warfare.

Which leads to one question: Is there any mechanism whereby they can be "punished" for this nefarious activity? The world is so dependent on Chinese goods.
We don't have to, GOD will

I feel like i need to take a shower after reading this thread.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT