ADVERTISEMENT

OT: I've never been out of the country. If I have two weeks to go anywhere, where should I go?

jsusc

Aug 12, 2004
So I am going to try to save up some money, and maybe in a couple of years I'll be able to take a trip out of the country. If I had two weeks and a decent amount of money for the trip, where should I go? I'd be open to anything. I do prefer mountains to the ocean, but don't get me wrong. I still like the beach. Also, I don't mind if it's hot or cold. Also, I'm not fluent in Spanish, but if you were to drop me in the middle of Mexico City I would still be able to get back home without speaking English.

Can’t go wrong with Costa Rica. You have rainforest, beaches, and mountains all in one country. I believe it’s a 6 hour drive or so from the Atlantic coast to the Pacific coast. Very tourist friendly and most people speak at least some English.

I also highly recommend Montreal if you want to travel north. It’s an old city with a ton of history. It does not feel like you’re in North America. Basically everyone is bilingual.

If your sights are set on heading across the Atlantic, I don’t have any experience there. I’m sure others do. I’ve always wanted to visit the UK.

I just got back from Iceland and loved every minute of it. It is easy to get to and has a lot less COVID than other areas. My said she wants to go back, it was that good.

The previous poster is correct, and you can find it all in Costa Rica. It's not going to take a day to get there or return which means you have more time than if you travel half way around the world. Also, it is one of the cheaper places to visit, you get more for your money. I guarantee you will not be disappointed if this is the destination you choose. JMHO.

Reactions: jsusc
So I am going to try to save up some money, and maybe in a couple of years I'll be able to take a trip out of the country. If I had two weeks and a decent amount of money for the trip, where should I go? I'd be open to anything. I do prefer mountains to the ocean, but don't get me wrong. I still like the beach. Also, I don't mind if it's hot or cold. Also, I'm not fluent in Spanish, but if you were to drop me in the middle of Mexico City I would still be able to get back home without speaking English.
Australia and New Zealand!!! There's something about both those two countries that has literally fascinated me for several decades!!

Reactions: alexj1 and jsusc
Depends on your likes and dislikes. Your family situation. That kind of thing. And your budget

Reactions: jsusc and chief2791
Don't go to Haiti. I have been, and it sucks. :D

Seriously, depends what your interests are. If it's mountains and solitude, you can't go wrong with the Yellowstone area. Haven't made it to Alaska yet, but it's on my bucket list.

After you made bail.

You taking the midget?

• Haha
Reactions: jonesz21 and jsusc
I like a lot of these choices (especially Costa Rica), but for the first time out of the country (and with two weeks) you do a European tour. You can see so much and experience so many places and still not feel rushed as you move through the continent. Fly into London and out of Rome. See England, The Netherlands, Belgium, France and Italy. You can cut some places out, or go east instead of South. The whole continent is your oyster and it's so easy to get around. Most bang for your buck there - and, as Americans, our history is so closely tied to that region you'll have great context as to everything you see.

There are language translators you can load on your phone.

Also, I would consider seeing more of the US, unless you have already seen most of it.

Barcelona, Spain if you're single. Definitely not Barcelona if you're married. Or ugly. Or poor.

I've been around the world but if I had visited there as a single man I would have never left. Prime Eva Longorias literally every 20 feet all day. Unreal. The city is right on the Med as well. Beautiful all around.
Agreed, but marital status does not matter. Then hop a ferry and hit the French Riveria and work your way over to the Amalfi coast in Southern Italy. Gorgeous everything, style, geography, great food, romance, weather. Take a woman, or find one.

Depends on your likes and dislikes. Your family situation. That kind of thing. And your budget
That's true. I should've mentioned that I'm single, mid 40's. As for a budget, I hope to be able to save a large amount.

I know some have mentioned seeing other parts of the USA. I'd like to go to Alaska at some point, but here I am in my 40's and have never left the country.

Gun to my head right now and had to pick a place, I'd go to England and try to catch several EPL matches and see several historic sites.

Reactions: Ratheolcoach
Explore America by vehicle. Having a fat wallet and traveling with absolutely no agenda or budget restrictions is absolutely amazing. It also depends on your personality, so it's really hard for anyone but yourself to figure out your dream vacation. Good luck.

Are you single? Any big city on coast of Brazil. My preferences in favorite order...Salvador. Huge African influences, awesome food. Natal...beautiful beaches and huge sand dunes which make for a thrilling dune buggy ride. Fortaleza...stay there for a few days then go to a former sleepy fishing town called Canoaquebrada (means broken canoe). I did a tandem parasailing there which was really awesome. The food in all of Brazil is very good esp. at the churriscas. And when you go to beaches...lets just say its very nice ;)

Always wanted to tour Europe & pay respects to our fallen hero's who never came home. Would love to see the beaches of Normandy, the Cliffs & travel some of the villages I've read about studying WWII battles.
Have tried to retire twice,keep getting asked to postpone, when I do, bride & I gonna hit the road & see America, Route 66, follow some of the Western trails, see the deserts, Great Lakes, Niagara Falls, Gettysburg, Amish country. Maybe hit one of state fairs out there, heard they are entirely different than what we have. Have bunch of notes collected over the years of historical places we've always seen on tv & in history books.
Maybe, if we don't spend all the grandkids inheritance, ain't much truthfully, we'll look at Europe. Then again, we might spend it all!!!
It'll be the honeymoon we never had.

If you have two weeks, do a Viking river cruise on one of the European rivers.

My other suggestion is a cross-country trip across America. But it's hard to see much in 2 weeks. See if you can scratch together one additional week for a 3-week trip.

Wherever you decide to go, keep in mind the terrorism factor and choose places where the risk is minimal especially to Americans. There are beautiful women in all those places but even if they were like low hanging fruit, you can only pick so many.😁

That's true. I should've mentioned that I'm single, mid 40's. As for a budget, I hope to be able to save a large amount.

I know some have mentioned seeing other parts of the USA. I'd like to go to Alaska at some point, but here I am in my 40's and have never left the country.

Gun to my head right now and had to pick a place, I'd go to England and try to catch several EPL matches and see several historic sites.

I stayed 2 weeks in Scotland and Ireland and loved all of the history, architecture and landscape. Their food isn’t great so we just drank more! Travel is so easy with the train network all through Europe, amazing we can’t accomplish that here.

I don’t watch soccer, but while there I watched several matches in the pubs and found myself picking a side and cheering. SEC type of atmosphere.

Don't go anyplace where the common police officers carry AKs. I've been to a bunch of those and they all suck.

The two places I've been on the Government dime that I would like to revisit?

Mallorca and Norway. Mallorca is like Disney World for grown ups and as a rule, Norwegians love Americans. Warning about Norway though. Take lots of money. Everything but snow and reindeer meat is imported. A beer cost 8 bucks last time I was there about 15 years ago.

Don’t go so far. How about Jamaica? Same time zone. Warmer. Doesn’t have cartels or groups kidnapping people like parts of Mexico. Small steps. Gets easier.
Jamica is for me. The key has always been everything is IRIE. What else could you ask for?

There is quite a lot to unpack from your post. You need to ask yourself several questions as to what your preferences are. Natural landscapes vs historical buildings and architecture. Learning about new customs and cultures or staying within familiarity. Tours vs independent exploring. What is your comfort level on navigating when in a foreign atmosphere.
There is no right or wrong answer, it is what your preferences are.
Good Luck

I'm not talking about just penalties. They lack concentration and focus. They make too many mental errors in assignments that they did not make last year. Two receivers in the same area going for the ball at the same time, offensive linemen who act like they have no idea what they are doing or who to block, going to sleep on the first play of the game last week and allowing an easy TD, and allowing receivers to run wide open down the field due to blown assignments are just a few of the many things I witnessed the last 2 weeks. They were just not mentally prepared to play each of the last 2 weeks and that goes to coaching 100%.

If you have two weeks, do a Viking river cruise on one of the European rivers.

My other suggestion is a cross-country trip across America. But it's hard to see much in 2 weeks. See if you can scratch together one additional week for a 3-week trip.
My wife and I have done three Viking River cruises and just finished the Viking Ocean cruise around Iceland. All have been outstanding. From what I have read from above is that the Amalfi Coast and the French Riviera could be done if you start in Rome. From there he could travel to Nice, France and then catch a TGV train to Avignon, France, From there he could catch the Viking Rhone River Cruise (Avignon), which is one of the best we have done, arriving at Lyon, France, and then back to the states. I did this same trip without the Amalfi Coast and we had a blast!
Thanks.

Barcelona, Spain if you're single. Definitely not Barcelona if you're married. Or ugly. Or poor.

I've been around the world but if I had visited there as a single man I would have never left. Prime Eva Longorias literally every 20 feet all day. Unreal. The city is right on the Med as well. Beautiful all around.
Recently single, looking for somewhere to go. I’m intrigued.

Your choices may be dependent on your age and health care needs. I work in an ICU, and never thought about it until I turned 60 and thought about all the people who had medical emergencies while on vacation in Charleston. If you don’t have any issues your choices are wide open. If you’re older and/or have health issues, you’re better off having a heart attack in Boston rather then Belize.

If I were in your shoes and had two weeks to travel, I’d do one of two things.

1) Lots of things to see here in the US. One thing I’m planning on doing when I retire is traveling the old Route 66 cross country. So many other things I’d like to see, would love to drive through Arizona and Utah. I’d like to see places like Yosemite, Sequoia, and Yellowstone. The Keys are always a good bet, lots to do there if you like a tropical climate. I’d love to catch baseball games at Yankee Stadium, Wrigley Field, and Fenway Park. Always wanted to go up around Maine. I’d love to go back to upper Washington close to the border, do some more whale watching. I’ve never been to California wine country, would like to do that.

2) With two weeks off, there’s a lot to do in Europe. I’d love to go back to Italy, you could easily spend two weeks just seeing Rome, the Ulysses Riviera between Rome and Naples, Florence, or the Amalfi Coast. Catch a train, you can see a lot. Couldn’t fit it all into two weeks, but I’d like to visit Greece, Austria, Belgium, Spain, Ireland, Scotland, Germany....you get the point. Lots to see.

Normally I’d say Europe starting in Amsterdam and doing the Baltic Sea countries, but with COVID restrictions I’d say Antigua now

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT