ADVERTISEMENT

OT: like steak? Better stock up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Never said I agree with him...just hard to complain about a guy who donates billions towards hunger and other charities. I don't think he is "making" anybody do anything.

He does donate a lot, and that is noble. But "making" people do things is a grey area that would be hard to prove. Meaning, he supports political solutions that would make people do things, but doesn't make people do things himself, for example.

Right. He is just saying this is the way forward and Im going to use my money as influence to advance my personal agenda. Never said he was "making" anyone do anything. He is heavily invested in non meat product production companies.

Does anyone have any hard data on that?
Sure. About 4 million people watch the kings of hyperbolical opinion programming each night who specialize in telling people what to be offended by but I think that’s probably a bit on the low end.

Right. He is just saying this is the way forward and Im going to use my money as influence to advance my personal agenda. Never said he was "making" anyone do anything. He is heavily invested in non meat product production companies.
And Gates is no different than any other Billionaire. They all have personal agendas and will spend money to support those.

Sure. About 4 million people watch the kings of hyperbolical opinion programming each night who specialize in telling people what to be offended by but I think that’s probably a bit on the low end.
Four million would suggest to me that the vast majority of people are not partaking, which I think would be a good thing. But whatever the actual number is, the specific impacts of those intellectual incursions must be gauged in order to ascertain how people are being influenced.

And Gates is no different than any other Billionaire. They all have personal agendas and will spend money to support those.
Whatever happened to “leading by example”? As in doing yourself as you ask others to do? Oh wait, I forgot, when you’re a multi billionaire, you feel entitled to TELL other people (who you KNOW are lesser beings than your oh-so-righteous self), what to do, and buy enough politicians to make sure the serfs obey. In Gates’ case, he can virtue signal and make money at the same time; but I guarantee you neither he nor his elitist friends are willing to consume themselves what they market to the rest of us “Deplorables”! Tell you what Bill, I’ll try your “fake steaks” the day you and ALL your elitist friends and politicians stop eating any beef yourselves. Until you do that, I’m going to tell you and them exactly which bodily orifice of your own you can shove the “fake steaks” and the rest of your stupid hypocritical ideas into!

I read a article about a week ago where he just bought a whole bunch of land in the Midwest I think.he has land all over this country.

Last edited:
It's all about the huge amount of methane gas that cows produce and it's impact on the environment. Fortunately we already have the ability to produce engineered beef in the laboratory that's indistinguishable from grain fed beef.

Thanks to Bill Gates global efforts in vaccinating children in 3rd world countries he may soon receive a Nobel Prize. He has to be the humanitarian of all times. Retired from business and now dedicating his life to giving away his wealth to make the world a better place.

It's all about the huge amount of methane gas that cows produce and it's impact on the environment. Fortunately we already have the ability to produce engineered beef in the laboratory that's indistinguishable from grain fed beef.

Indistiguishable?

Even if they ever attain that, it wont matter. Limiting real meat will drive up its cost, so that only Gates and his kind will enjoy it. We serfs can eat our fill of the fake stuff.

Edit: And since gates is invested in the fake meat industry, he'll get even richer while still enjoying his food.

While we're at it why not bash Ford for their EV's? Oh I forgot that's already happened.

Looks like some folks will require being drug kicking and screaming into the 21st century.
Sadly, there's a large part of our society unwilling to suffer even the slightest inconvenience, even if it means a better world for everyone.

He does donate a lot, and that is noble. But "making" people do things is a grey area that would be hard to prove. Meaning, he supports political solutions that would make people do things, but doesn't make people do things himself, for example.

“stock up”? U mean like toilet paper & hand sanitizer?

So...I don't have a problem with a guy who is worth a bazillion dollars trying to good for mankind. He was on 60 Mins last week and went through the whole process. It wouldn't happen in our lifetime (well at least mine). His focus is eliminating the Green house affect and world hunger. How can people bitch about that?

When these experts start changing their own lifestyles, I’ll know they’re serious about what they’re preaching

Mr. Gates, I understand that having accumulated such wealth, you’d like a promotion. Now listen, I know you’d like to be God, but I’m afraid that position is not vacant (yes, I know you thought it was, but you’ve been misinformed). Oh, wait a minute; I heard, just yesterday, a rumor that Lucifer (yes, that Lucifer) is contemplating retirement; as a matter of fact, he’s been wanting to, but hasn’t been able to find a suitable replacement. Why don’t you go down there and discuss the position with him? Really, I’m confident he would find you a most worthy successor, and I’m sure he’d be delighted to let you start right away, should the two of you reach a suitable agreement. Of course, you’ll need some help, as it really is a rather big job, but I’m sure your elitist friends (like Jack, and Mark and Jeff, and Warren, and of course George,....well, you know them all, anyway) all have the appropriate skill set, and even better, their philosophy is already in line with the spirit of the enterprise, so to speak, so I’m sure they would be delighted to join your team down there. Of course, you’ll also need some politicians, but since so many of those have already sold their souls to one or another of your set, you can just take those with you; I’m sure they’ll fit right in. Bureaucracy? Yes, but since I’m certain Hell already has layers upon layers of that, I think you can make do, at least for a while... Oh, and about the climate there; well, it IS a bit warm, but I’m sure you and your new staff will get used to it in a few millennia or so...Listen, I hate to cut this short, but I have a steak (a real one), on the grill, and it’s just about ready; anyway, congratulations in advance on your new position! Enjoy!
Do you really think anybody is going to read this screed? You can insert paragraph breaks, but that would involve organizing your thoughts. When I see something like this all I can think of is Jack Nicholson typing up a storm in "The Shining."

Sadly, there's a large part of our society unwilling to suffer even the slightest inconvenience, even if it means a better world for everyone.
A lot of people read "a better world for everyone" as "if they know what's good for them."

Also,

Weyland-yutani.JPG

Reactions: SCexpat38
A lot of people read "a better world for everyone" as "if they know what's good for them."

Also,

Weyland-yutani.JPG

True.

Also, a lot of people are turned off by someone saying the masses should give up something they arent willing to give up themselves.

Then add in the argument over whether these changes really would make a better world.

He said "Eventually, that green premium is modest enough that you can sort of change the behavior of people or use regulation to totally shift the demand."

Using regulation implies wanting to make someone do or not do something.

Perfect!
The only thing funnier than arguing how good processed food is are the arguments saying it will get better. Even funnier when its the same people arguing both.
How dare someone suggest that we eat processed foods in the future.
Wait, What's that ? Why yes, I would love another Hot Dog.
Ok, remind me what we were talking about.

How dare someone suggest that we eat processed foods in the future.
Wait, What's that ? Why yes, I would love another Hot Dog.
Ok, remind me what we were talking about.
Processed food is to be avoided with certain health conditions, high blood pressure and cholesterol to name a few. But hey, putting one at risk is a small price to pay for a green future right?

Processed food is to be avoided with certain health conditions, high blood pressure and cholesterol to name a few. But hey, putting one at risk is a small price to pay for a green future right?
Just Bill's newest vision to reduce the population.

Never said I agree with him...just hard to complain about a guy who donates billions towards hunger and other charities. I don't think he is "making" anybody do anything.
No, he’ll just have the politicians he buys do the “making” part for him, just like the rest of his arrogant species do.

Reactions: SparkleCity
When these experts start changing their own lifestyles, I’ll know they’re serious about what they’re preaching
When he gets a couple of his philanthropist buddies and ends world hunger then I might start taking their word on some things. Until then they are all talk. and want to stick the tab on me and you and call us the bad guys.

Reactions: lr1007
Just Bill's newest vision to reduce the population.
Something tells me Bill hasnt consumed a whole lot of processed food in his time so it's probably never been an issue for him. One would think he's way out of his lane on this one.

Reactions: Lakecock1
I believe you are totally missing the thrust of the post, which is, how many currently are purchasing and consuming processed foods today on a daily basis, and then show alarm about consuming processed foods in the future.
If you purchase frozen foods, soft drinks and chips you are eating highly processed foods already.

Reactions: rogue cock
If Bill wants to fund research into making fake meat taste like beef for the same price or less, I wish him well and will happily be a customer. Build a better mouse trap (or burger) and I will buy it.

If he wants to use his influence to put a government thumb on the scales of the market, I hope he fails miserably.

I believe you are totally missing the thrust of the post, which is, how many currently are purchasing and consuming processed foods today on a daily basis, and then show alarm about consuming processed foods in the future.
If you purchase frozen foods, soft drinks and chips you are eating highly processed foods already.
Processed foods are hard to avoid for sure but should be avoided none the less. Is processed food a good meat substitute? I come from a long line of relatives with high BP and cholesterol. We all have different doctors and different diets. All our diets include meat. Some are actually heavy on meat. The one thing all our diets have in common is no processed food. So again is processed food a good meat substitute? I dont see how it could be but that's what Bill seems to be claiming.

Does Bill think that since there are almost one billion cows on the planet and that each cow will fart 20 or so times a day that the methane released is dangerous to the planet? Well, if there are almost 8 billion humans on the planet and each one farts 20 times a day what is the comparison rate to the cattle? What are there too many of - farting cows or humans? There are too many of one or the other, or both. So let there be war.

The US going to all plant-based synthetic meats would lead to its own supply challenges.

Fact of the matter is that beef is one of the most inefficient proteins on the planet and we can end world hunger already if we wanted to

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT