ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Notre Dame de Paris brûlures

Speaking of Paris and Europe in general or Europeans rude for the most part? I have always kind of wanted to go to Paris and a few other parts of Europe but have always but it on the proverbial back burner because of the stories I've heard about Europeans being rude and snotty to Americans. Plus, I just love the American West and that's where I have centered my travels as of late and have not regretted it at all.

Speaking of Paris and Europe in general or Europeans rude for the most part? I have always kind of wanted to go to Paris and a few other parts of Europe but have always but it on the proverbial back burner because of the stories I've heard about Europeans being rude and snotty to Americans. Plus, I just love the American West and that's where I have centered my travels as of late and have not regretted it at all.
They were rude to the Griswalds.
7781067dc90140d7c9b6be16d560a15d

Freddie, my experience was great. Met several friendly Parisians. Make an effort to learn their traditions and fit in, and things go much smoother. Sorta like yankees moving to SC and telling us how we are doing things wrong, yet they are fleeing south. Don't act like a yankee over there. : )

The Yellow Vests make things tricky for traveling there at the moment. I want to go back, soon, and explore more. When I was there in 2015, there was a very festive feeling in the air. Great architecture everywhere, wonderful open air markets every few blocks.

The French out in the country, especially the Normandy area, are far more receptive and still appreciative of America's resolve to push the Germans out of France. The massive American cemeteries remind them everyday

Freddie, my experience was great. Met several friendly Parisians. Make an effort to learn their traditions and fit in, and things go much smoother. Sorta like yankees moving to SC and telling us how we are doing things wrong, yet they are fleeing south. Don't act like a yankee over there. : )

The Yellow Vests make things tricky for traveling there at the moment. I want to go back, soon, and explore more. When I was there in 2015, there was a very festive feeling in the air. Great architecture everywhere, wonderful open air markets every few blocks.

The French out in the country, especially the Normandy area, are far more receptive and still appreciative of America's resolve to push the Germans out of France. The massive American cemeteries remind them everyday

Well, that is certainly interesting to know. I may have to reconsider Europe maybe in a couple of years. I have several trips lined up for the next couple of years.

I went to Nortre Dame as a teen and didn’t appreciate how remarkable it is. Very glad it wasn’t worse today but also reminded of Acts 17:24: “The God who made the world and everything in it is Lord of heaven and earth and does not dwell in temples built by human hands.”

That follows one of my favorite passages about the Greek alter Paul came across “to an unknown god.” Really resonated with where I was at one point in life and what I was missing.

I pray they were able to get the Holy Crown of Thorns, the Holy Lance, the Holy Sponge, and the Mandylion out. Losing those relics would be devastating to Christianity.
Just curious, I really do not care, but I gotta ask: Are you Catholic??

Just wondering, just wondering!!

Just curious, I really do not care, but I gotta ask: Are you Catholic??

Just wondering, just wondering!!
I was raised Catholic. My last sacrament in the Church was my marriage.
I have attended the Methodist Church since 2003 (after I got married - my ex is Methodist, and Little Man is being raised Methodist). But that is not that big of a change for me because my paternal grandmother was Methodist. I'd spend my summers with her, and attended her Methodist church with her

Reactions: king ward
I have traveled and worked in Paris a good bit. I have found that if you have a question, and approach somebody for an answer, simply say a simple phrase or two in French (merci, pardon, se vou plait) and approach with a smile, they will almost all stop and assist. I think that if you just walk up and say, "Hey, bud, where is the metro station", might not work as well. They have a set of customs and we are losing ours, but at the end of the day, it is all in the approach and greeting. By the way, I travel a lot these days, almost exclusively to Europe and out west. In May I will be in the Jackson Hole area and in July, two weeks in France.

My daughter lived in Pau, France for three years, and when i visited i found the people to be friendly. They were always curious about Americans and polite. They would always laugh at my French, but in a good-natured way. My daughter is fluent, so that helped immensely.

Well, that is certainly interesting to know. I may have to reconsider Europe maybe in a couple of years. I have several trips lined up for the next couple of years.
Like many others in this thread, I never found Parisians or the French in general to be rude...despite the reputation. My favorite though was Germany and Belgium...very friendly and very welcoming to Americans. All three are beautiful countries with a lot of history.

A fire there say in July, is suspicious, but this Holy Week?? I would almost bet, muslims were involved..
The very same day the Al Aqsa mosque, the third most sacred site in Islam, in Jerusalem suffered a devastating fire. Must have been the Christians. Please stop baiting people of faith with Alex Jones conspiracy theories

The very same day the Al Aqsa mosque, the third most sacred site in Islam, in Jerusalem suffered a devastating fire. Must have been the Christians. Please stop baiting people of faith with Alex Jones conspiracy theories
LIKE I SAID!!! Very Suspicious.... Also i guess you heard this?? Wait, YOU KNOW everything Nevermind..
https://www.rt.com/news/456629-french-catholic-churches-attacks/
https://www.newsweek.com/spate-atta...-sees-altars-desecrated-christ-statue-1370800

Thanks for the articles, interesting reads. Found it fascinating that the articles you cited pointed towards forces in France of secularist and anti religous groups who have great anger with the Catholic Church. Which makes it odd that you would quote them in support of your trolling that it was an Islamist plot.

For all you conspiracy theorists, we are now over 24 hours removed from the start of the fire, yet no extremist group has claimed responsibility.

Riddle me this...why wouldn't any group be clamoring to claim responsibility for nearly destroying one of the icons of the Catholic Church, if it was, as y'all suspect, some nefarious plot?

I have traveled and worked in Paris a good bit. I have found that if you have a question, and approach somebody for an answer, simply say a simple phrase or two in French (merci, pardon, se vou plait) and approach with a smile, they will almost all stop and assist. I think that if you just walk up and say, "Hey, bud, where is the metro station", might not work as well. They have a set of customs and we are losing ours, but at the end of the day, it is all in the approach and greeting. By the way, I travel a lot these days, almost exclusively to Europe and out west. In May I will be in the Jackson Hole area and in July, two weeks in France.

You will love Jackson Hole. Like I said I may have to give Europe a try in a couple of years.

Like many others in this thread, I never found Parisians or the French in general to be rude...despite the reputation. My favorite though was Germany and Belgium...very friendly and very welcoming to Americans. All three are beautiful countries with a lot of history.
Germany and Sweden are beautiful and very clean

Reactions: rogue cock
I am Presbyterian and believe very much in the total depravity of humanity. You are simply trying to distract from the fact that you attempted with a broad brush to demonize Islam with no facts.
Whatever dude, I just look at the worst acts of terror in our History and it is carried out by Muslims, that hated Christians... They want al Infidels dead, hey that includes Presbyterians... They hate Christ and everything he stands for..
giphy.gif

Reactions: Freddie.B.Cocky
Wow, lots of different topics to step through in this one post. On the topic of Parisians being rude, they are not. Mookie summed it up well... don't expect American chain restaurants everywhere you go. Why in hell anyone would travel to Paris wanting that is beyond me, but evidently people do.

If you conduct yourself courteously, smile warmly, learn to say "pardon me", "hello", "please", "thank you", etc in French, you will be fine. Most speak English fluently there, and will engage you in English if you show the slightest sign that you are not a douche bag. At least make an effort to greet them in French. Treat people well, and you will generally be treated well in return. That goes for Paris or just about anywhere else I have traveled.

I found that Parisians can be somewhat reserved (you would expect this in any large American city as well), but will warm quickly to someone conducting themselves courteously and thoughtfully.

Last edited:
the items of history (currently above ground) can only decrease and degrade, it is sad when this is the manner it happens.

French authorities have opened a criminal investigation into the cause of the blaze! Once they determine it was arson like everyone with an IQ above 85 knew immediately, the media will bury the rest of the true facts!

French authorities have opened a criminal investigation into the cause of the blaze! Once they determine it was arson like everyone with an IQ above 85 knew immediately, the media will bury the rest of the true facts!
giphy.gif

The left wing media will, if was a Muslim, If it were a Christian doing it, CNN and MSNBC would interrupt the Masters to let you know it!!

You do realize that is standard procedure in these types of instances, right?
Again, answer my question above...if it was some nefarious plot, why hasn't anyone claimed responsibility? That's what these groups do when they attack something.

Whatever dude, I just look at the worst acts of terror in our History and it is carried out by Muslims, that hated Christians... They want al Infidels dead, hey that includes Presbyterians... They hate Christ and everything he stands for..
giphy.gif

Seems like you'd fit right in with them. Your limited view of the world is basically the "Y'all Qaeda" version of extremism in Islam. If you're a Christian, you completely portray the worst version.

You may want to look at the death tolls of the Spanish Inquisition.

Also, since no WMDs were found in Iraq, you may want to check how many lives were lost there for no apparent reason.

Seems like you'd fit right in with them. Your limited view of the world is basically the "Y'all Qaeda" version of extremism in Islam. If you're a Christian, you completely portray the worst version.

Also, since no WMDs were found in Iraq, you may want to check how many lives were lost there for no apparent reason.
And Iran, Hezbollah, and Al Queda are our friends..... let's send them a Plane load of Gold....

giphy.gif

You do realize that is standard procedure in these types of instances, right?
Again, answer my question above...if it was some nefarious plot, why hasn't anyone claimed responsibility? That's what these groups do when they attack something.

I don't think lawcalcock will comprehend your post unless you end every sentence with an exclamation point. ;)

Some incorrect info there. The WMDs did exist and were found in Iraq before the invasion. They were inspected and documented by UN inspectors. These were apparently moved to Syria before the invasion. Syria's stockpile of declared WMDs have been removed from the country (over 90%) with much of it destroyed by the US on ships off the shore of Syria.

What wasn't found was the mobile labs that ended up being bogus intel. Just clarifying that the UN did verify the existence of WMDs in Iraq.

Reactions: cockofdawn
So true, anyone that disagrees with you needs to be banned, Absolutely!!

Nah. Banning may be much, but a warning is clearly warranted. You continually disparage entire groups of people. This is merely another example. I’m a Jew and some of my closest and dearest friends are Muslims. What you spew here almost incessantly is garbage and unnecessary.

Nah. Banning may be much, but a warning is clearly warranted. You continually disparage entire groups of people. This is merely another example. I’m a Jew and some of my closest and dearest friends are Muslims. What you spew here almost incessantly is garbage and unnecessary.
Hey here an EASY fix for you... You can IGNORE me.. there is that feature..

Not trying to pick a fight but if you can't see that France is having a serious problem with muslims not trying to become part of French society but instead by many different means push France into Islam society, I fear we ourselves are in serious trouble.
Not to mention that England is having the same issues. There are parts of London the police don't go in. England is keeping a tight grip on there border now.
By the way, when it was reported back in the war that Saddam had moved WOMD to Syria, guess who gassed their own people with WOMD last year?
You got it Syria.
I don't hate Muslims I talk to them and invite them to my church but I don't have PC blinders on either.

Reactions: Freddie.B.Cocky

Germany and Sweden are beautiful and very clean

Trashiest parts of Germany when I was stationed there were around American Kasernes and housing areas, sadly.

Germany away from America is an awesome place. And I say that as someone who loves my country.

Reactions: rogue cock
Not trying to pick a fight but if you can't see that France is having a serious problem with muslims not trying to become part of French society but instead by many different means push France into Islam society, I fear we ourselves are in serious trouble.
Not to mention that England is having the same issues. There are parts of London the police don't go in. England is keeping a tight grip on there border now.
By the way, when it was reported back in the war that Saddam had moved WOMD to Syria, guess who gassed their own people with WOMD last year?
You got it Syria.
I don't hate Muslims I talk to them and invite them to my church but I don't have PC blinders on either.
France is having more of a problem with non-religious anarchists and anti-religious groups (of any religion) much moreso than any Islamic group.

Don't rely on any American press to accurately portray what is going on in Europe. Europe tends to be much more knowledgeable and interested in what is going on in the US than we are what goes on there.
i

French folks are fine. Like some said... Greet them with a 'bonjour' throw out a few 'mercis' and you'll be fine. I will say- they are a little 'harsher' than you'd be accustomed to folks being in the Southern US, but that's true in any major city really. In cafes it's kind of like 'hurry up and give me your order' vs 'welcome! how are you?' They're there to get you your bloody Kronenburg and move on, not to be your friend. Also, some french guys in a bar mocked me for my outfit, even though it was decently trendy IMO... Dark jeans and golf shirt. Just gave them an 'f you' and moved on.

Despite this, Paris is one of the most incredible cities I've ever been to. Stunningly beautiful and so cool.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT