ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Notre Dame de Paris brûlures

French folks are fine. Like some said... Greet them with a 'bonjour' throw out a few 'mercis' and you'll be fine. I will say- they are a little 'harsher' than you'd be accustomed to folks being in the Southern US, but that's true in any major city really. In cafes it's kind of like 'hurry up and give me your order' vs 'welcome! how are you?' They're there to get you your bloody Kronenburg and move on, not to be your friend. Also, some french guys in a bar mocked me for my outfit, even though it was decently trendy IMO... Dark jeans and golf shirt. Just gave them an 'f you' and moved on.

Despite this, Paris is one of the most incredible cities I've ever been to. Stunningly beautiful and so cool.

One thing I found interesting, and really refreshing about Paris, and other cities in Europe as well, is that the waiters there are professionals. They take tremendous pride in their work and view it as a true profession. They are immaculately well-groomed and professionally dressed, knowledgeable and helpful. Though, to your point, maybe not in the cheery, "how y'all doin'" sort of way most of us are accustomed to back home.

Agree about Paris. Spectacular city and a place that should be at the top of the list for anyone with a remote desire to travel abroad.

One thing I found interesting, and really refreshing about Paris, and other cities in Europe as well, is that the waiters there are professionals. They take tremendous pride in their work and view it as a true profession. They are immaculately well-groomed and professionally dressed, knowledgeable and helpful. Though, to your point, maybe not in the cheery, "how y'all doin'" sort of way most of us are accustomed to back home.

Agree about Paris. Spectacular city and a place that should be at the top of the list for anyone with a remote desire to travel abroad.

Great way to put it. The guys in the cafes/bars were impressive for sure.

Reactions: GandBinNC
Whatever dude, I just look at the worst acts of terror in our History and it is carried out by Muslims, that hated Christians... They want al Infidels dead, hey that includes Presbyterians... They hate Christ and everything he stands for..
giphy.gif
Hmm didn’t realize these were Muslim plots
Spanish Inquisition
Salem witch trials
Crusades
Slavery in America
Jim Crow
KKK
Japanese internment camp
Most of the German church endorsing Hitler
The pope’s silence on Hitler and Mussolini
Stalin killing 50 million
Rawanda
Cambodia
I could go on
I will give you the Armenian genocide though

Last edited:
I was raised Catholic. My last sacrament in the Church was my marriage.
I have attended the Methodist Church since 2003 (after I got married - my ex is Methodist, and Little Man is being raised Methodist). But that is not that big of a change for me because my paternal grandmother was Methodist. I'd spend my summers with her, and attended her Methodist church with her
My father and his mother were Methodists. Most of the people on my father's side were Methodists.

Spanish Inquisition
Salem witch trials
Crusades
Slavery in America
Jim Crow
Japanese internment camp
The pope’s silence on Hitler and ssolini
Rawanda
Cambodia
I could go on

Most of those acts occurred many many years ago and many were not committed by America. However, 9/11/2001 was not that long ago. So, are we to turn out collective heads to the fact that terrorism by Muslims don't exist. I'm not condemning the entire Muslim population for all of the recent terrorist attacks. But what Rep. Omar said and I'm paraphrasing Some people did something and the Muslim citizens in the US started losing some of their Civil Rights. That statement really set me off and came across as so uncaring.

Last edited:
Reactions: cockofdawn
Spanish Inquisition
Salem witch trials
Crusades
Slavery in America
Jim Crow
KKK
Japanese internment camp
Rawanda
Cambodia
I could go on
I'll give you those. But there have been atrocities. Several spots in Africa come to mind. Atrocities against women and other religions all over the Middle East and even Pakistan.

I'll give you those. But there have been atrocities. Several spots in Africa come to mind. Atrocities against women and other religions all over the Middle East and even Pakistan.
Sudan has been Muslim over/vs Christian but to state terror in America and the world is the sole domain of Islam is ignorant, deceitful and scary. Timothy McVeigh, 99.9 % of school shootings, 99.9 % of all lynchings, Homewood, Tulsa, The trail of tears

Sudan has been Muslim over/vs Christian but to state terror in America and the world is the sole domain of Islam is ignorant, deceitful and scary. Timothy McVeigh, 99.9 % of school shootings, 99.9 % of all lynchings, Homewood, Tulsa, The trail of tears
You should address those remarks to people who made that assertion. I did not.

Not enough slurry bombers in France, unfortunately. They could have put out the fire instantly. Sad!

Spanish Inquisition
Salem witch trials
Crusades
Slavery in America
Jim Crow
KKK
Japanese internment camp
Rawanda
Cambodia
I could go on
LOL, you do know the purpose of the Spanish Inquisition was to locate heretics among Muslim (and Jewish) converts. You know, those same Muslim Moors that invaded and terrorized Spain for several hundred years. It wasn't until after the Reconquista that the Spaniards turned their attention in earnest toward Europe.

Witches (alleged) were burned at the stake for hundreds of years before Salem, why pick on Salem?

Another LOL, you do know why the Crusades happened? Christian landmarks in the Holyland were invaded by Muslims and the Christian armies rallied to defend the holy sites from this new religion (600 years the junior).

Another, why are you picking on America? Slavery was a major institution (including Muslims) hundreds of years before the American Colonies were ever thought of.

I'll stop here.

LOL, you do know the purpose of the Spanish Inquisition was to locate heretics among Muslim (and Jewish) converts. You know, those same Muslim Moors that invaded and terrorized Spain for several hundred years. It wasn't until after the Reconquista that the Spaniards turned their attention in earnest toward Europe.

Witches (alleged) were burned at the stake for hundreds of years before Salem, why pick on Salem?

Another LOL, you do know why the Crusades happened? Christian landmarks in the Holyland were invaded by Muslims and the Christian armies rallied to defend the holy sites from this new religion (600 years the junior).

Another, why are you picking on America? Slavery was a major institution (including Muslims) hundreds of years before the American Colonies were ever thought of.

I'll stop here.
Upon reflection I did a poor job of responding to Cockof Dawn, I included genocide and terror events from around the world to illustrate that terror has been instituted by Christians and nations throughout history. It is not exclusively owned by Muslims. Specifically he said the worst acts of terror in this country were committed Muslim on Americans.

Certainly9/11 makes that list. It is on a list that begins with the genocide of the native Americans and over 400 years of systemic murder and theft it moves then to bringing slaves to America and 300 years of brutality ranging from slavery KKK, lynchings, denial of rights. The internal violence of school massacres and mas shooting are dominated by white men. It appears the only terror he recognizes is that of Islam. He also claimed Notre Dame was a Islamic attack without proof. In an ironic twist a white Catholic man tried to burn down St Patrick’s in NYC. He was of course immediately described as a “troubled individual” not a terrorist. I am against violence and terrorism (except for that night 40 years ago when I peed on a certain rock) but we are a violent nation that seems to have amnesia about our own sins.

Last edited:
Upon reflection I did a poor job of responding to Cockof Dawn, I included genocide and terror events from around the world to illustrate that terror has been instituted by Christians and matins throughout are history. It is not exclusively owned by Muslims. Specifically he said the worst acts of terror
WRONG!!!

Upon reflection I did a poor job of responding to Cockof Dawn, I included genocide and terror events from around the world to illustrate that terror has been instituted by Christians and nations throughout history. It is not exclusively owned by Muslims. Specifically he said the worst acts of terror in this country were committed Muslim on Americans.

Certainly9/11 makes that list. It is on a list that begins with the genocide of the native Americans and over 400 years of systemic murder and theft it moves then to bringing slaves to America and 300 years of brutality ranging from slavery KKK, lynchings, denial of rights. The internal violence of school massacres and mas shooting are dominated by white men. It appears the only terror he recognizes is that of Islam. He also claimed Notre Dame was a Islamic attack without proof. In an ironic twist a white Catholic man tried to burn down St Patrick’s in NYC. He was of course immediately described as a “troubled individual” not a terrorist. I am against violence and terrorism (except for that night 40 years ago when I peed on a certain rock) but we are a violent nation that seems to have amnesia about our own sins.

Good lawd man! Barack is that you? How on earth do you attribute your interpretation of historical crimes to Christianity? There is no rational nor honest equivocation between Christianity and Islam! If you doubt this take up residence in the Muslim majority nation of your choice!

Good lawd man! Barack is that you? How on earth do you attribute your interpretation of historical crimes to Christianity? There is no rational nor honest equivocation between Christianity and Islam! If you doubt this take up residence in the Muslim majority nation of your choice!
Where they Behead, Stone, Rape, etc etc etc?? NO WAY,, he is leaving, but to expect them (muslims) to assimilate to American customs and LAWS, AINT happening....

Last edited:
Dude you insist on equating crimes and atrocities not motivated by nor sponsored by Christianity with those solely executed by Islamic extremists iin the name of their profit under the tenants of Sharia law! Just stop it! No one is running around civilization murdering in the name of Jesus and the epistles!

As for the Crusades, they were a response to Christians being slaughtered in the holy land by Muslims l true history is a beach for your equivocators

I'll stop here.
Pretty much a white-washed version of the Crusades. The Byzantine empire collapsed many years before the first Crusade in 1076 and the Egyptians took control of Jerusalem. You are correct that the first Crusade was organized to capture the Holy Land, but also left out the fact that the Crusaders massacred many Jews and violated the promise of protection given to the Egyptians and slaughtered the men, women and children as they were leaving the city. We won't even get into the Fourth Crusade which was nothing but a land grab by the Crusaders.

Now their new claim is the fire was caused by an electrical short circuit! I'm gonna get some 800 years old oak treated with a retardant and see if I can ignite it electrical shorts! I suspect I'll need a lot of gasoline! Once they get around to admitting it was arson, the culprit will be two white guys in MAGA hats!

Google Westboro Baptist Church and you get this site.

https://www.godhatesfags.com/

I've had the misfortune just a decade or so ago of seeing these so called "Christians" from Westboro at the funeral of soldier killed in Iraq, with their signs saying God killed him. This a photo from that demonstration, but it's similar to the crap we saw.

57368298.jpg

You wanna claim one religion has some kind of moral high ground over another, feel free. But it's BS. Every religion has its fringe and its extremists.

And if this gets this thread locked, I apologize.

I've had the misfortune just a decade or so ago of seeing these so called "Christians" from Westboro at the funeral of soldier killed in Iraq, with their signs saying God killed him. This a photo from that demonstration, but it's similar to the crap we saw.

57368298.jpg

You wanna claim one religion has some kind of moral high ground over another, feel free. But it's BS. Every religion has its fringe and its extremists.

You basically said it: Outliers - a quasi-Christian, numerically insignificant fringe group and not a part of the mainstream church.

57368298.jpg

Can we suffice it to say that the world is full (and always has been) of douche bags of all stripes, colors, nationalities and persuasions? Surely we can all agree upon that? Maybe if we stopped arguing about which group had the greatest number of a**holes and criminals, and started policing those a**holes and criminals in our own groups, the world would be a little better place.

Pretty much a white-washed version of the Crusades. The Byzantine empire collapsed many years before the first Crusade in 1076 and the Egyptians took control of Jerusalem. You are correct that the first Crusade was organized to capture the Holy Land, but also left out the fact that the Crusaders massacred many Jews and violated the promise of protection given to the Egyptians and slaughtered the men, women and children as they were leaving the city. We won't even get into the Fourth Crusade which was nothing but a land grab by the Crusaders.
LOL, reread what I stated. I stated the origins of the Crusades, which you corroborated with "the Egyptians took control of Jerusalem" (you know, the original land grab). That was the only point being made. I didn't give any history of any of the resulting Crusades, much less a white washed one.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT