ADVERTISEMENT

OT: On my way to Arlington National Cemetary ...

wallycock

Oct 11, 2001
... to finally lay my wife's uncle to rest after he (and his wife & 2 sons) endured 17 year's with Alzheimer's. He was gone long before now, and only existed in body, but God gave him a precious few moments of clarity when he recognized his wife and sons, and even recognized his only sister's voice by phone. He then retreated back into the place from where he emerged and shortly thereafter passed away.

I've seen this place on several occasions, but get choked up at the sight of row after row after row of the graves marking the sacrifices of so many. It is overwhelming, and reminds me once again that freedom isn't free. Those who served, and those who died while serving deserve all the honor and respect we can give them.

You obviously don't need my permission, Mods, but feel free to move this thread elsewhere as I understand it is not Sports related.

I salute your wife's uncle and his family. God bless. I went through Alzheimers with my Mother. If there is a more long term, cruel way to die, I've not heard of it.

Condolences to you and your wife’s family. That is the cruelest way for an American hero or anyone for that matter to leave this earth.
Arlington is an amazing place to honor those that gave all. I was there a couple of years ago for a few hours and mostly only got to see the famous areas. Would love to return and pay respect.

... to finally lay my wife's uncle to rest after he (and his wife & 2 sons) endured 17 year's with Alzheimer's. He was gone long before now, and only existed in body, but God gave him a precious few moments of clarity when he recognized his wife and sons, and even recognized his only sister's voice by phone. He then retreated back into the place from where he emerged and shortly thereafter passed away.

I've seen this place on several occasions, but get choked up at the sight of row after row after row of the graves marking the sacrifices of so many. It is overwhelming, and reminds me once again that freedom isn't free. Those who served, and those who died while serving deserve all the honor and respect we can give them.

You obviously don't need my permission, Mods, but feel free to move this thread elsewhere as I understand it is not Sports related.

May God bless your wife's uncle and all of the men and women that died for our freedom.

Reactions: king ward
Took my kids to the American History Museum today, and back to Arlington to see the changing of the guard at The Tomb Of The Unknowns. I've seen it several times over the years, and I also remember my parents taking me there when I was only a kid. Still impressive to see, and it's a great launch pad to educate my kids about character. When you read the criteria of how these soldiers are selected to serve as guards, and what they commit to for their term of service, and for the rest of their lives, it is amazing.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT