ADVERTISEMENT

OT Panama City Beach Fl. questions

uscfutbol

Nov 28, 2012
Daughter number 3 graduates from high school in June and she is adamant that she wants to go to Panama City Beach in Florida and stay near Pier Park for her senior trip...

Has anyone been to Panama City beach, and if so, any suggestions on where to stay, Hotel, Condo, and what activities are available....

Thanks

I've been there. But it has been so long ago that my advice would be dated. What I remember was blue-green water and some very good eating places. I never got into the Spring Break mania so I can't speak to the party aspect first-hand. I wasn't there during that time. But certainly some of our other posters can advise you; they've been everywhere.

I went my Senior year of HS. It was the Regency Tower but I’m not sure I’d that’s the name of it now. Club La Vila was crazy. The Spinnaker was too. I can say there isn’t a whole lot of good happening there that week. It’s great for an 18 year old, but I’m sure most parents don’t want to know about 90% of what’s going on.

Have they recovered from the hurricane? I'm sure they're functional but no idea at what level.

I was there last week on business....there is still a lot of work going on in the area. The drive in once you get south of I-10 on US Hwy 231 it looks like a war zone. 70% of the trees are all snapped off about 10-15' from their base and still months and months of cleanup needed. The beach area was much better off....still a lot of buildings in disrepair, business signage that hasn't been replaced, etc.
My fear would be the drive in sort of dampening the spirit of the trip because it does get better as you get closer.
Just my 2 cents from being there last week.

Reactions: king ward
Also a decent amount of road work going on....the main beach road where a lot of the condos are at, Front Beach Rd., has work going on from where I got on it at Ripley's to where I got off it at MB Miller Pier.

Daughter number 3 graduates from high school in June and she is adamant that she wants to go to Panama City Beach in Florida and stay near Pier Park for her senior trip...

Has anyone been to Panama City beach, and if so, any suggestions on where to stay, Hotel, Condo, and what activities are available....

Thanks

I live in Destin 30 minutes away and spend a lot of time in PCB . I would recommend not going this year . The hurricane has caused extensive damage and the infrastructure is pretty bad . Now I will say that the area around Pier Park is not nearly as bad as a little further east . Pier park is very nice . If she stays in that area she should be fine . The beaches are beautiful and ton of shopping at pier park . Now I will say PCB is Party Central during spring break . Not near as bad as it was a few years ago since the new open container laws were passed . Two years ago I would NEVER allow my Daughter to go over there for Spring Break . It was was absolute debauchery . It was AWFUL . Partying is one thing but it was on another level a few years ago . Multiple sexual assaults , gang rapes , bad fights , tons of kid hospitalized for alcohol poisoning . I will say it was so embarrassing that they have beefed up security to an almost emergency level and passed very strict open container laws . Last year was relatively calm but when the kids found out they couldn’t drink on the beach most of them went to Daytona beach or other places . It’s not nearly as bad but honestly , I have a teenage daughter and I won’t allow her to go to PCB during the spring break months . In all honesty , and not just saying this because I live here , I would send her to Destin instead of PCB . Same beaches , way nicer , more things to do , and very safe . We have spring breakers here but they know if they get out of line they go straight to jail so we have very few issues . Kids who want to go hang out at the beach and shop go to Destin , kids who want to Party like Rockstars go to PCB . Again , I love PCB , it’s one of my favorite places on earth but not during Spring Break . I lived in PCB for years and live In Destin now so if you have any questions or concerns I should be able to answer them .

Sorry , I also just noticed you said June . Spring Break will be well over by then so it shouldn’t be as bad . It can still get pretty crazy but not at the level it gets during March and April . Pier Park is a very nice area and it’s in the West End of the beach . La Vela and Spinnaker’s and the rest of the mega clubs where a lot of the bad stuff happens is on Thomas Drive at the Far East of the beach . Keep her away from the East end of the beach and everything should be great . I would still recommend Destin but if you are coming in June Book now because everything fills up and prices Sky Rocket .

I'm an old so I like Apalachicola with a trip to Indian Pass Raw bar and a lot of time on St. George Island. Love that area. Unfortunately with the Georgia water war the oyster production at Apalachicola is drying up and with rising seas I don't know how much longer St. George will be around.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT