ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Presidential Commission on University History

SCGCock07

Apr 15, 2009
Conway, SC
The university issued its final report today and has recommended the names of the following buildings on campus be changed. This cannot happen without legislative approval pursuant to the Heritage Act, but it's still enraging to me that my alma mater wants to do this. At what point will every building on our campus named for someone who lived or died before the Civil Rights era be deemed offensive and renamed?

Reactions: will110 and taxcock
The university issued its final report today and has recommended the names of the following buildings on campus be changed. This cannot happen without legislative approval pursuant to the Heritage Act, but it's still enraging to me that my alma mater wants to do this. At what point will every building on our campus named for someone who lived or died before the Civil Rights era be deemed offensive and renamed?
Change the name(s) of The Longstreet Theatre AND/OR The Thomas Cooper Library??????? NO WAY FOR NEITHER NOR!!!!!

Reactions: taxcock
It was actually John Palms and the BOT who suggested it be named for him, in exchange for a $10,000 personal donation and a list of those willing to donate who weren't connected to USC.
Okay, but what did he have to do with USC? It was ridiculous to name it after him. Surely there was someone else more deserving. Hell, Bob Fulton or Frank McGuire would make more sense.

Okay, but what did he have to do with USC?
They couldn't have raised enough money for the construction and building to start without attaching Strom's name to it. His name, and the likely political favors that came with a large donation, were instrumental in raising about $4 million towards the facility. This was in 1999, so he was still a US Senator at that time.

They couldn't have raised enough money for the construction and building to start without attaching Strom's name to it. His name, and the likely political favors that came with a large donation, were instrumental in raising about $4 million towards the facility. This was in 1999, so he was still a US Senator at that time.
All of that is sickening if true.

Look I'm not here to trash Strom. Everyone knows his story and already has a position on him. Although, I can't resist asking how you can call a man with a black daughter a racist RollLaugh

Anyway, my point is his the name was put on the building because people promised to raise $4 million dollars to essentially buy naming rights. They didn't even raise a tenth of that. The building was paid for almost entirely by student activity fees and some money from one of those huge state bond deals. Now if you don't care about his promotion of white supremacy and segregation and violence to preserve them for the first 30 years of his public life, you can make an argument that for all the federal money (and state money when he was governor) he helped steer Carolina's way over the decades it was appropriate to honor him anyway even though he was tater. And because of his promotion of exercise and physical fitness, a fitness center would be an appropriate tribute. IF you feel he deserved one.

I've tried to look at this in a nuanced way but I'm sure I've just managed to piss off everybody. Fortunately, I don't give a rat's ass. Fire away

Look I'm not here to trash Strom. Everyone knows his story and already has a position on him. Although, I can't resist asking how you can call a man with a black daughter a racist RollLaugh

Anyway, my point is his the name was put on the building because people promised to raise $4 million dollars to essentially buy naming rights. They didn't even raise a quarter of that. Now if you don't care about his promotion of white supremacy and segregation and violence to preserve them for the first 30 years of his public life, you can make an argument that for all the federal money (and state money when he was governor) he helped steer Carolina's way over the decades it was appropriate to honor him anyway even though he was tater. And because of his promotion of exercise and physical fitness, a fitness center would be an appropriate tribute. IF you feel he deserved one.

I've tried to look at this in a nuanced way but I'm sure I've just managed to piss off everybody. Fortunately, I don't give a rat's ass. Fire away
YOu likely have po'd some, but not me. I tried to avoid the fact that he was a racist pig. Just the fact that he was a tater was reason enough alone that his name shouldn't be there.

I honestly don't care about the names. I understand it's a sensitive subject for a lot of people but I just can't get worked up over it.
So if someone alleges that Thomas Hardin Brice was a racist (by today's standards, not last century's standards), are we supposed to change the name of Williams-Brice Stadium? I mean, where does it stop? And what does it substantively accomplish?

Okay, but what did he have to do with USC? It was ridiculous to name it after him. Surely there was someone else more deserving. Hell, Bob Fulton or Frank McGuire would make more sense.

Ck his record, he was a politician & gave to the university.

Now, name wise #1 could use some recognition, but just being from Sumter county probably removes him from equation

Another point I never thought of...at what point will we be forced to change our mascot? Thomas Sumter was nicknamed the Gamecock and he owned slaves, which is the justification given for many of these buildings being renamed. It won't be 10 years before these loons try and disassociate the school mascot because of their social justice cult.

Bottom line, they need State Legislation to make any name changes which is required by state law.

Maybe should stop naming things after imperfect people.

This is a great nation made up with imperfect people... If you don't like it, Cuba is just 90 minutes from the US by boat... Feel free to go there and just remember, that would be the last free act you will ever do in Cuba...

I always have mixed feelings on things like this. Some of the individuals were simply products of their period. Right or wrong they were simply following what they saw every day and in a lot of cases things they promoted continue to be part of thoughts of people still today.

There are some that should be no brainers. Planting a memorial tree right after it was determined schools couldn’t be segregated named after the face of the confederate army was an intentional act of disdain.

If they made an American Horror Story about Sims people would be in complete disbelief that something like that was allowed to go on much less that the person would be honored.

MIT names their buildings after numbers and letters, so we could just do that until somebody with $25M decides they want a building named after them. Also, nothing wrong with just “Library” or “Place With Books and Microfiche”.

That said, I would make two exceptions. I’d rename the Strom for Essie Mae Washington-Williams just because no human ought to keep their own flesh and blood a secret, especially when that secret happens to be African American and you are a hypocrite segregationist. Also, I’d name something after Robert Smalls, the Beaufort slave that captured a confederate ship, turned it over to the USA, convinced Lincoln to have an African American regiment, bought his former master’s house after the war, and served in Congress.

We are all products of our time, so I’d be more sympathetic to the people whose actions were before the war, and less so to the people afterword that tried to live in the past.

And then there’s Thomas Clemson, slave owner, who said:
“My experience tells me that the institution of slavery is at all times good for the Negro (no laborers in the world are so well off). At times good for the Master, but very bad for the state.”

I nominate “Tater Technical Institute” as a new non-controversial name.

And then there’s Thomas Clemson, slave owner, who said:
“My experience tells me that the institution of slavery is at all times good for the Negro (no laborers in the world are so well off). At times good for the Master, but very bad for the state.”

I nominate “Tater Technical Institute” as a new non-controversial name.

Send in the Marines...

In 1801 the newly elected President Jefferson ordered a naval and military expedition to North Africa in order to put down regimes that endorsed piracy and slavery.

So if someone alleges that Thomas Hardin Brice was a racist (by today's standards, not last century's standards), are we supposed to change the name of Williams-Brice Stadium? I mean, where does it stop? And what does it substantively accomplish?
I understand your points. But I only have a limited amt of time, energy, attention, etc....
I think there are so many issues/causes in our world today that I care more about than what a building is named. But that is just me.

Every person is imperfect, so that would lead to naming buildings after no particular person.

I suppose we could name every building after Jesus, the only perfect person. But I see that ticking off some who like to change names.
jesus christ stadium has a ring to it! may as well, that’s all we fans say while we’re there anyway.

We have entered an era where anyone that isn't perfect is now trashed and any memorial to them needs to be removed no matter what good they may have also done. MLK and JFK were far from perfect, but seem to have something named after each in just about every city in this country. So if we are going to trash anybody with the slightest sin, then let's clean the slate to make sure we don't miss anybody.

The Heritage Act which protects state monuments could be repealed if declared unconstitutional. The chances of a 2/3 majority by the legislature to remove monuments is slim. If I had to remove one statue Tillman would be my choice as he was post civil war.

Perhaps a compromise to removal would be a plaque explaining the individual's role in history.

This is a lot more than just changing a few names, it's erasing history; but also includes a lot of other future "woke" activities. Spending $11 Million on changing names and other craziness is just insane, but at least USC is fully "woke" now. Is there not a better way to spend money? I'm just tired of all of it, all the PC/Woke bull, and it is entrenched in the sports as well, mainly coming from Staley and Martin. It will only get worse and I will continue to pull away from USC and all it's activities. To each their own.

The Heritage Act which protects state monuments could be repealed if declared unconstitutional. The chances of a 2/3 majority by the legislature to remove monuments is slim. If I had to remove one statue Tillman would be my choice as he was post civil war.

Perhaps a compromise to removal would be a plaque explaining the individual's role in history.
This is a lot more than changing names and removing statues, everybody needs to read about all the "future" activities

Reactions: oakley51
All the other one's aside right now to avoid an argument....but I never understood the Strom Thurmond one, even if he wasn't a horrible racist. What did he have to do with USC? They need to get permission to rename that center after John Palms.
I think Thurmond gave a small amount…like $4,000 to USC. I believe he probably went to our law school. But I agree…you can see Clemson recognizing him over us.

What we need is studies on those who do these studies.
What we need to do is actually teach the history (the actual history....good and bad) in history class. What you generally get taught is a white-washed version of history and that has skewed beliefs. Would people today support Thomas Cooper if they knew he wasn't a "Christian" by today's standards (nor were many of our other founding fathers)? I doubt it. Deism was a very popular relgious philosophy during that period. Cooper was also very critical of the church and religion in general....much like Thomas Paine. But we are not taught that in history....especially with Paine.

Last edited:
Take an unannounced full poll of the student body. Change the name of any building for which >50% of the student body can tell you anything negative about the person/persons for whom it is named.

Last edited:
Take an unannounced full poll of the student body. Change the name of any building for which >50% of the student body can tell you anything negative about the person/persons for whom it is names.
I know several old USC grads who believe the Longstreet Theatre was named after the Civil War General from SC.

We have entered an era where anyone that isn't perfect is now trashed and any memorial to them needs to be removed no matter what good they may have also done. MLK and JFK were far from perfect, but seem to have something named after each in just about every city in this country. So if we are going to trash anybody with the slightest sin, then let's clean the slate to make sure we don't miss anybody.

No one is expecting perfection. MLK and JFK definitely had their vices - but their vices were not murdering, raping and enslaving entire races of people. They also never fought to make laws to ensure entire races of people were treated unfairly by the government.

So to state that the “slightest sin” is being attacked is really not an accurate portrayal of what’s going on.

This is a lot more than just changing a few names, it's erasing history; but also includes a lot of other future "woke" activities. Spending $11 Million on changing names and other craziness is just insane, but at least USC is fully "woke" now. Is there not a better way to spend money? I'm just tired of all of it, all the PC/Woke bull, and it is entrenched in the sports as well, mainly coming from Staley and Martin. It will only get worse and I will continue to pull away from USC and all it's activities. To each their own.
Opposite of "woke"?

Head-in-the-sand-300x201.gif

• Haha
Reactions: FCB 2013 treble
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT