ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Quarry Accident

nikolas22

Dec 2, 2013
Hopefully it was an accident. Is anyone familiar with the quarry? Do you have to scale the fence/wall to get in it? Any signs around It? Why would an adult carelessly enter it? It seems he is not new to the area…so you just decide for the first time to jump a fence for a short cut home? You haven’t heard of the other deaths? So sad. We seem to have more students die than the average university…maybe I am wrong.

Last edited:
Feel bad for the family first and foremost. No one deserves what they are going through right now. But that kid was probably drinking after the game (he was at a bar) and had to get through all sorts of fences and go past warning signs.

I wish the college kids would take better care of themselves and put themselves in less risky situations. Accidents happen everywhere, I dont think we hear about it quite as often because a local college kid dying isnt going to make national headlines usually. Columbia also has a media collective that for whatever reason loves to shine negative light on USC.

The world is a dangerous place and although most of us dont think about it often, non of us are going to make it out of life alive.

Because of the proximity to the Mills Apartments, it's very reasonable that the kids think they can jump the fence and take a shortcut to the Mills. Unfortunately that is not the case. If memory serves, there is only a chain link fence. There aren't warning signs per se that say "hey...there's a big ole hole in the ground here".

• Sad
Reactions: Freddie.B.Cocky
Horrible. He was just with his dad before walking home. I can't imagine how he must feel. Whatever fence is over there needs to be 2-3 times taller
He was talking with his dad on the cell phone. He told his dad that his cell battery was going out and he was going to walk home. His dad said it was around 8 o’clock…so apparently he didn’t go to the game. His dad said he called home every day. Some officials need to post more signs or something. So sad. He was to graduate in Dec.

Last edited:
Terrible, tragic, and disparagingly sad anytime. When I was 15 years old, I had a close cousin my age to die under tragic circumstances this very time of year. It was an awful event from which the family never fully recovered. These happenings near a holiday seem worse somehow. Prayers for the family.

A similar hazard exists next to the Limestone University campus. This gorge was once a limestone quarry. It was filled with water when the quarry played out. But no swimming is allowed. Not only is the bank steep, but the water is more than 100 feet deep at the shoreline.
limestone_quarry_-_lake_1_-_present.jpg

A similar hazard exists next to the Limestone University campus. This gorge was once a limestone quarry. It was filled with water when the quarry played out. But no swimming is allowed. Not only is the bank steep, but the water is more than 100 feet deep at the shoreline.
Was watching a baseball game there a couple years ago, and a Gaffney dude told me there's heavy equipment submerged in there, couldn't get it out. Told me the same, that the water is over 100 ft deep at shoreline. Quite a step off into nothing.

Reactions: king ward
Was watching a baseball game there a couple years ago, and a Gaffney dude told me there's heavy equipment submerged in there, couldn't get it out. Told me the same, that the water is over 100 ft deep at shoreline. Quite a step off into nothing.
Very dangerous aquatic abyss. It does add some beauty to the campus area, though.

It seems like there must be a known short cut along the quarry the the kids take. There does not seem to be an easy way to get into the quarry just looking on google maps. It appears that a combination of darkness, some alcohol (said he was at J's corner) and maybe not having your phone working is a real problem. Certainly it was a terrible accident the first time. But it seems to be a real safety issue now with 2 deaths. I can't imagine a phone taking you through the quarry. I can't imagine living in Granby Mills and not knowing that there is a giant hole in the ground, especially after losing someone so recently. So there must be something similar to a swiss cheese model of accidents.

Best I can tell is that they take Whitney St., to Georgia St to Delaware St and jump a fence to come in the back of the apartments. Or, you take Whitney to the end and jump the fence to the right of the building and walk along the right edge...maybe saves a minute or 2. I suspect that there is a well known route through the quarry. Can't be the 1st time he has walked home from there. But maybe chose the wrong fence to jump.

Or, some dude(s) robbed him and threw him into the quarry.

Terribly sad no matter what happened.

It seems like there must be a known short cut along the quarry the the kids take. There does not seem to be an easy way to get into the quarry just looking on google maps. It appears that a combination of darkness, some alcohol (said he was at J's corner) and maybe not having your phone working is a real problem. Certainly it was a terrible accident the first time. But it seems to be a real safety issue now with 2 deaths. I can't imagine a phone taking you through the quarry. I can't imagine living in Granby Mills and not knowing that there is a giant hole in the ground, especially after losing someone so recently. So there must be something similar to a swiss cheese model of accidents.

Best I can tell is that they take Whitney St., to Georgia St to Delaware St and jump a fence to come in the back of the apartments. Or, you take Whitney to the end and jump the fence to the right of the building and walk along the right edge...maybe saves a minute or 2. I suspect that there is a well known route through the quarry. Can't be the 1st time he has walked home from there. But maybe chose the wrong fence to jump.

Or, some dude(s) robbed him and threw him into the quarry.

Terribly sad no matter what happened.
All this.

Grew up jumping off the cliffs and swimming in the rock quarries near Winnsboro. They're hundreds of feet deep, filled from hitting springs, have submerged cranes, buildings, etc. Of course, they're as dangerous as you make them. Had some great times there back in the 80's. Ahhh the memories.

Of course there is the Green Hole off Greystone that is now filled with water. Was once a quarry that hit a spring and filled it up.
remember the green hole very well. in the 70's we would gather there and jump into the water from the cliff side. drinking involved of course. went back many years ago and found people living there.

Of course there is the Green Hole off Greystone that is now filled with water. Was once a quarry that hit a spring and filled it up.
I can remember watching kids diving into Green Hole. Crazy.

Usually, an unsafe activity is survivable. It takes several times until fate wins. There is no reason to tempt fate.

Reactions: Cola G'Cock
Hopefully it was an accident. Is anyone familiar with the quarry? Is it still actively used? Do you have to scale the fence/wall to get in it? Any signs around It? Why would an adult carelessly enter it? It seems he is not new to the area…so you just decide for the first time to jump a fence for a short cut home? You haven’t heard of the other deaths? So sad. We seem to have more students die than the average university…maybe I am wrong.

I've been told by a few people this week you'd have to purposefully go into the area and nearly everyone around there knows it's there.

and of course the fence as has been mentioned.

Doesn't make much sense.

Young drunk people think they will never die. When I was in my late teens, early 20s we used to go to a local quarry and dive/swim. There was a rope attached to the old crane boom there. It was very deep as most quarries are. The family that owned the driveway you had to go through to get to it didn't care. It has since been closed to public. I did walk it a while back with my cousin's BF. The bluegill in it were enormous.

We used to go swimming and jumping off of the ledge when I was in school in the early 90s.

The Old Limestone Quarry

Does any one have knowledge
Was the student found “in the quarry “ or on the property?
In One place it is possibly an accident and another place it is possibly a crime.

We used to go swimming and jumping off of the ledge when I was in school in the early 90s.
The ledge was easy. Running off the top was more hazardous. My brother tripped on a root at the top hit the ledge with his feet and splashed below. We thought oh crap he is a goner. He was mostly OK. Just limped for a while.

Does any one have knowledge
Was the student found “in the quarry “ or on the property?
In One place it is possibly an accident and another place it is possibly a crime.
They have not released any of that information. I am thinking important things will be…does he still have his cell phone, wallet, credit card, etc. If those things are missing…it makes one think about robbery.

The ledge was easy. Running off the top was more hazardous. My brother tripped on a root at the top hit the ledge with his feet and splashed below. We thought oh crap he is a goner. He was mostly OK. Just limped for a while.
Ran off the top a few times myself. You had to get a good running jump, though. Had a friend swear he touched an old car/equipment down there once. On the adjacent side where the other half of the apartments are was some decking that extended out with a place to sit type at the end. We use to jump off there too occasionally.

Ran off the top a few times myself. You had to get a good running jump, though. Had a friend swear he touched an old car/equipment down there once. On the adjacent side where the other half of the apartments are was some decking that extended out with a place to sit type at the end. We use to jump off there too occasionally.

Yeah there was a car down there. In the very early 80s. It was a little MG I think. The water was not as deep as you would think below the cliffs. Some idiot pulled the exhaust up when we found it. We bent it back down so no one would get impaled. The car was gone soon after that.

Reactions: RickyRooster
What a horrible way to die. Alone and helpless fighting for his life.

He's now on a much better plane. Happy and watching his loved ones.

Strange how fate gets you when just a few seconds somewhere in his short life this would not have happened.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT