ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Reboot of old TV series?????

Freddie.B.Cocky

Jul 19, 2002
Has Hollywood completely ran out of original ideas for Sitcoms? I guess so, because I heard today that a reboot of Alf was in the works.

Also, a report stated that a possible reboot of Frasier is in the very very early stages. It's not been decided if it will happen, but it's in the discuss phase now. Kelsey Grammer is open to the idea but not completely settled on the project as of yet.

There are so many of old TV series reboots now I actually believe Father Knows Best may be coming back. LOL!

Last edited:
Reactions: SCexpat38
Has Hollywood completely ran out of original ideas for Sitcoms? I guess so, because I heard today that a reboot of Alf was in the works.

Also, a report stated that a possible reboot of Frasier is in the very very early stages. It's not been decided if it will happen or not but it's in the discuss phase now. Kelsey Grammer is open to the idea but not completely settled on the project as of yet.

There are so many of old TV series reboots now I actually believe Father Knows Best maybe coming back. LOL!

Not so fast my friend:
http://www.vulture.com/2018/08/kelsey-grammer-not-sure-he-wants-to-do-frasier-reboot.html

The best original programming now is on pay-cable or streaming services. I'm not sure why, exactly, but the major networks and hollywood production companies appear to have no interest in original ideas. They don't want to have to introduce a new story or character to the viewer. They want to rehash a known commodity with a built-in audience.

Reactions: FORKCOCK
The best original programming now is on pay-cable or streaming services. I'm not sure why, exactly, but the major networks and hollywood production companies appear to have no interest in original ideas. They don't want to have to introduce a new story or character to the viewer. They want to rehash a known commodity with a built-in audience.
Not surprising actually if you look at the demographics of the audience for streaming services versus major networks. Streaming services tend to attract a much younger audience than major networks. Its accordingly not surprising that major networks are going to give their older audience remakes of shows they remember from their childhood.

Reactions: funktavious

Also, a report stated that a possible reboot of Frasier is in the very very early stages. It's not been decided if it will happen, but it's in the discuss phase now. Kelsey Grammer is open to the idea but not completely settled on the project as of yet.

There are so many of old TV series reboots now I actually believe Father Knows Best may be coming back. LOL!
Wish they would do another Andy Griffith. Love that show still.

A favorite of mine but today's kids and parents would never understand the moral of the shows.

Reactions: wolverine 2
I recently heard about a Buffy the Vampire Slayer reboot too.
I second this..
Sarah+Michelle+Gellar+sexy+hot+nude+boobs+nipples+bikini+hd+wallpaper.jpg

Reactions: Freddie.B.Cocky
Not surprising actually if you look at the demographics of the audience for streaming services versus major networks. Streaming services tend to attract a much younger audience than major networks. Its accordingly not surprising that major networks are going to give their older audience remakes of shows they remember from their childhood.
I'm sure you're correct about the demographics for the streaming services, given they rely on technology based platforms. But I think the notion that reboots of 70s and 80s TV shows will attract the 45+ market is wrong. And by reboots, I'm not talking about shows like Roseanne that are continuations of the same story with the same characters. I'm talking about remakes of shows with a "modern twist" and new actors that bear very little resemblance to the shows we remembered. As a child of the 80s, I hardly consider a remake of Magnum PI with a female Higgins to be must-see TV. We already know it won't be the same Magnum PI I grew up with, so why will I bother? I'd rather watch reruns of the real Magnum on Netflix or Amazon.

I'm sure you're correct about the demographics for the streaming services, given they rely on technology based platforms. But I think the notion that reboots of 70s and 80s TV shows will attract the 45+ market is wrong. And by reboots, I'm not talking about shows like Roseanne that are continuations of the same story with the same characters. I'm talking about remakes of shows with a "modern twist" and new actors that bear very little resemblance to the shows we remembered. As a child of the 80s, I hardly consider a remake of Magnum PI with a female Higgins to be must-see TV. We already know it won't be the same Magnum PI I grew up with, so why will I bother? I'd rather watch reruns of the real Magnum on Netflix or Amazon.
Somewhat agree. Some will make it, some won't. Thus far it seems S.W.A.T. and Hawaii 5-0 are doing fine. Not sure about MacGyver (I liked the old one better). II wouldn't mind seeing a remake of the old Columbo series.....though we almost have that in Elementary.

Good casting and good writing will be the key to any remake...especially of the more successful shows. It would be hard to replace a James Garner in a remake of the Rockford Files.

Do you really trust modern TV writers and producers to be faithful to the original? Do you think they could bring themselves to make a comedy that doesn't include foul language and sexual innuendo and a script that stays away from the hot-button social and political issues of today that will, inevitably, piss off half their audience? I doubt it. Better to leave Andy Griffith as we remember it.

Reactions: Cybercock
I wouldn't mind seeing a remake of the old Columbo series.....though we almost have that in Elementary.
Columbo was a good one. Monk was similar to the extent that it showed the crime at the beginning of the show and focused not on solving a whodunnit, but watching how the detective ends up coming to the correct conclusion. Both had very little in the way of intense action - not all that unusual during Columbo's time, but fairly unusual for a modern show. But Monk was its own show with its own quirky and entertaining lead character. I'm not sure anybody could ever out-Columbo Peter Falk - or even come close. That'd be a tough one to pull off.

Paladin.
Have gun, will travel reads the card of a man. A knight without armor in a savage land.
Old school badass.
West Point graduate turned gun-for-hire.

Columbo was a good one. Monk was similar to the extent that it showed the crime at the beginning of the show and focused not on solving a whodunnit, but watching how the detective ends up coming to the correct conclusion. Both had very little in the way of intense action - not all that unusual during Columbo's time, but fairly unusual for a modern show. But Monk was its own show with its own quirky and entertaining lead character. I'm not sure anybody could ever out-Columbo Peter Falk - or even come close. That'd be a tough one to pull off.
Agree. Liked Monk also.

I watch Monk now, he is one quirky character. Agree with you about Peter Falk.

If they insist on rehashing/rebooting previously cancelled shows, I can think of a few. The only problem is...I'd want the original show runners/writers on staff. Occasionally, I'd want the same actors, but more often than not, they can be replaced.

Flash Forward-I just want to know what the hell happened! I'm not often confused about where are show is going, but this one had me.

V- As an 80s kid, I loved the original TV mini-series, and even liked the series. The reboot from about 10 years ago made some nice changes to keep pace with today's political climate.

The Unit- I wouldn't want a continuation so much as a complete reboot. This is one where the creator would have to be on board. Shawn Ryan has made some great TV.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT