ADVERTISEMENT

OT - Refrigerator Suggestions

What happened is that the EPA mandated new refrigerants (aka freon) due to alleged ozone depletion and global warming. The oils that are compatible with the new refrigerants are inferior to the old oils. So in an effort to save the planet we are filling landfills with refrigerators. The new refrigerants/oils are sometimes less energy efficient as well. So no manufacturer makes refrigerators as well as they used to.

Our 9 year old Samsung fridge is acting up. The freezer is set to zero but it's really around 10 degrees. Try setting it down to -10, doesn't help. Service tech says it's likely a sealed system issue (freon leak) or weak compressor, which is several hundred dollars to repair and it's hard to find someone that does such repairs. I replaced the temperature sensor, $18, myself. Didn't help.

Looking at reviews online for new refrigerators. Quite a few horror stories. I imagine frustration escalates quickly as food spoils. We've been pleased with Samsung, however several recent reviews indicate issues and trouble getting qualified service. Similar comments about LG. Leaning towards Whirlpool, maybe GE or Kitchen Aid. Thinking side by side, standard size.

Any suggestions, experiences are appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

I've got a Kitchen Aid that is still running like new coming up on 20 years. Knock on wood. US made, too. Some are made in SC , I think.

When I replaced it I want something basic. The hidden expense you have is when electronic components go they are expensive to replace, especially PC boards. I'll get a basic icemaker, too.

Last edited:
Do not get a GE. Poorly engineered. And I bought the most expensive unit they have.
have a thirty year old GE in my garage for beer, boat drinks, etc.

all of the new ones are crap + most service techs are digital idiots

good luck

beat the iptaters

go cocks!

Reactions: bayrooster
Costco does have a great warr@nty. However they mostly sell LG and Samsung I think. I wouldn5 buy either.
Honestly they all suck. But I pick the devil known as whirlpool (same as kitchenaid, maytag, Jen air) At least their issues are fairly simple and parts are less expensive and more available.
Samsung is a pile of royal shit. If you get it to run 3 yrs it’s a miracle. Lg gas compressor issues. GE is Haier now so that’s crap.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT