ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Roof damage from DishTV sat install

vehemon

Sep 2, 2010
Charlotte, NC
I'm having a fun problem with insurance now.

During a remodel i'm having for my master bedroom and bathroom...

After tearing up the carpet they witnessed water damage on the sub flooring coming from where the chimney is.

Called home insurance company 3+ weeks ago and they have been dragging their feet on what to do.
Now with the storm that just came in; the water damage has significantly increased and i'm now seeing water damaged 2 floors down in the ceiling of my finished basement/office.

Now they are blaming it specifically on the satellite install that was done 4+ years ago without really any proof that this is truly what's causing it. Basically telling me tough and dragging me along while the problem is getting worse and causing more damage.

DishTV doesn't want to work with me because I haven't been a customer with them for more than 2+ years.

Who do you think I should attack in this problem? As it stands now, i'm possibly on the hook for $10k+ worth of repairs if I can't get the home insurance or DishTV to take some ownership in the problem.

I just called my adjuster again and her mailbox is full. This was reported 3 weeks ago and they still haven't done anything. They suggested that I get a roofer or someone to go search for the leak to minimize the problem.

The last time I did that when I had a pipe burst because of freezing, they didn't reimb for any of the plumbing work.

So the install was from 4 years ago, but you've only been a Dish customer for 2 years? Install was done by previous owner?
I think he was saying that he's 2+yrs removed from being a Dish customer. Install done 4yrs ago and left Dish ~2yrs ago.

Reactions: vehemon
In most cases, regardless of who, what, etc., the policy holder is required to take steps to mitigate any further damage. It's the insurance company's way out. Careful there. Youll need to check your policy carefully. In most cases, they have to cover the damage regardless of fault unless there is negligence, yada yada.

Call all 9’s.
Rather call her.

shelly-headshot-2.jpg

Reactions: The Coup Nazi
In most cases, regardless of who, what, etc., the policy holder is required to take steps to mitigate any further damage. It's the insurance company's way out. Careful there. Youll need to check your policy carefully. In most cases, they have to cover the damage regardless of fault unless there is negligence, yada yada.
That's the crap i'm in now.

I'm going to pay to get it taken care of then I won't be reimbursed.

I had State Farm for years and dropped there ass last month . Felt damn good
I'm still with them. Have been for yrs. I worked for Allstate and had homeowner's insur with them. I didn't read fine print and SOB of an agent had me only insured for 50% loss on my home. That's when I switched to State Farm. Have never had any real issues with them except for they are now going the health insurance route for HO's and car insurance and are raising their rates too much. Car and truck ins have gone up $40 PM in the last few years and that's with no accidents, no tickets and drive less than 5K miles per year.

Reactions: 92Pony
You stick with a insurance company after they fail to reimburse for what sounds like a reasonable claim and then you let an obvious water leak go unchecked with a hurricane approaching?
That's what I'm thinking.

They claim was made WELL before the storm approached. They are still pushing me to get it taken care of 'temporarily' and i'm not falling for that crap.

I'm still with them. Have been for yrs. I worked for Allstate and had homeowner's insur with them. I didn't read fine print and SOB of an agent had me only insured for 50% loss on my home. That's when I switched to State Farm. Have never had any real issues with them except for they are now going the health insurance route for HO's and car insurance and are raising their rates too much. Car and truck ins have gone up $40 PM in the last few years and that's with no accidents, no tickets and drive less than 5K miles per year.
They all do that (to a degree). You have to shop car ins. every 5yrs or so. We've done that over the last 28yrs, and ALWAYS reduce our bill when we switch. We've been with Allstate, State Farm, Liberty Mutual, Geico, and back to All State.

One other thing. If they do cover your loss, they will want proof that repairs were made. Keep all invoices and make sure to take pics before(damaged) and after(repaired). Lots of folks have had insurance paid for a new roof or something and pocket the money.

That's the crap i'm in now.

I'm going to pay to get it taken care of then I won't be reimbursed.
Contact the SC Insurance Commissioner. No insurance company wants formal complaints as it can change their state bonding. Inform the insurance adjuster that they have 24hrs to start negotiating. After that a formal compaints goes to commissioner. They will actually start arbitration for you if they find in your favor. Most insurance companies much rather deal with attorneys vs the state commission.

https://www.doi.sc.gov/109/Contact

They all do that (to a degree). You have to shop car ins. every 5yrs or so. We've done that over the last 28yrs, and ALWAYS reduce our bill when we switch. We've been with Allstate, State Farm, Liberty Mutual, Geico, and back to All State.
Lately it better be every year. The no claimers are paying for the ones making claims.

Contact the SC Insurance Commissioner. No insurance company wants formal complaints as it can change their state bonding. Inform the insurance adjuster that they have 24hrs to start negotiating. After that a formal compaints goes to commissioner. They will actually start arbitration for you if they find in your favor. Most insurance companies much rather deal with attorneys vs the state commission.

https://www.doi.sc.gov/109/Contact
I'm in NC but I was thinking something similar. BBB complaint?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT