ADVERTISEMENT

OT- should marijuana be legalized?

Legalize?

• Yes

Votes: 148 80.0%
  • No

Votes: 37 20.0%

• Total voters
Weed - Yes. (low dose as to not fry your Hippocampus; 2.5 THC per day)
Most other recreational drugs - No.

During my first week in college, I was at a party with a guy who took one dose of Molly and went absolutely bonkers. It took five of us to restrain him. The night after the party he went to dinner with his mom on her birthday and ended up beating her so badly she was forced to lock him up. Turned out it induced some Schizo/Manic part of his brain and he has never recovered.

I've also witnessed otherwise solid people take one round of Oxy for pain and they were completely addicted. It wrecks their life financially and fundamentally. Likely what happened to Alec Murdaugh. Most people have a drug that is completely toxic to their neurotransmitter profile and you never want to find out what that is. These drugs will always be a part of our world but legalizing makes it that much easier to justify using.

Anytime you argue against legalizing weed, anyone who disagree with you will have a million examples of how they or someone they know already use it frequently without issue. The problem in my mind is that people cant see the forest for the trees.

How many people do you know that go to church regularly? How many people do you know who smoke weed or use other drugs? I don't know about the rest of you, but even though my socioeconomic standing is firmly in the middle class I feel like I know more people who use drugs.

I think there is a larger issue of a moral decay in our society and its traditional values that has accelerated in the last 10-20 years as the Greatest Generation have died and the baby boomers have started taking control. There is a saying that Hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, and weak men create hard times. I think the hard times of the Great Depression and WW2 time period created strong men who in turn created the good times of the 2nd half of the 20th century... but those good times have created a couple of generations of weak willed idiots who stare at their phones and abuse drugs because they haven't had to struggle for survival. We crested the peak of the good times in the last 25 years and are headed towards hard times. Rampant drug use and a breakdown of traditional values and importance of the nuclear family have resulted in a society at war with itself. This is evident with widespread renewed racial tension, gender confusion, and extremely divided political factions. We are no longer living for each other and so much of our society has become about being selfish to the point where the United State's position as the leading world power is starting to fade.

So what does this have to do with drugs? Everything. Life is hard and instead of rising to meet the challenge, our soft society chooses to self medicate to dull or even drown out any sources of discomfort.

As someone with more of a libertarian political view, Id say go ahead and do what makes you happy but Id also like to see the govt get out of the business of subsidizing the lifestyle choices of drug users and make them ineligible for the social safety nets like welfare, unemployment benefits, ect. If you cant pass a drug test, the rest of us shouldn't be paying for anything for you. You cant take care of yourself, then natural selection should be allowed to take its course.

We need to do better for ourselves, for each other, and for our country.

There are people smoking the pills in front of San Francisco City Hall. They take fragments of those pills and smoke it like crack or directly through a straw. Nasty way to ruin one's life! The high completely incapacitates them, with most standing still like a sleeping horse, leaned over. Sure way to know you're looking at a fentanyl addict who just got their high.
Crush a suboxone and you get the same thing.
Anytime you argue against legalizing weed, anyone who disagree with you will have a million examples of how they or someone they know already use it frequently without issue. The problem in my mind is that people cant see the forest for the trees.

How many people do you know that go to church regularly? How many people do you know who smoke weed or use other drugs? I don't know about the rest of you, but even though my socioeconomic standing is firmly in the middle class I feel like I know more people who use drugs.

I think there is a larger issue of a moral decay in our society and its traditional values that has accelerated in the last 10-20 years as the Greatest Generation have died and the baby boomers have started taking control. There is a saying that Hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, and weak men create hard times. I think the hard times of the Great Depression and WW2 time period created strong men who in turn created the good times of the 2nd half of the 20th century... but those good times have created a couple of generations of weak willed idiots who stare at their phones and abuse drugs because they haven't had to struggle for survival. We crested the peak of the good times in the last 25 years and are headed towards hard times. Rampant drug use and a breakdown of traditional values and importance of the nuclear family have resulted in a society at war with itself. This is evident with widespread renewed racial tension, gender confusion, and extremely divided political factions. We are no longer living for each other and so much of our society has become about being selfish to the point where the United State's position as the leading world power is starting to fade.

So what does this have to do with drugs? Everything. Life is hard and instead of rising to meet the challenge, our soft society chooses to self medicate to dull or even drown out any sources of discomfort.

As someone with more of a libertarian political view, Id say go ahead and do what makes you happy but Id also like to see the govt get out of the business of subsidizing the lifestyle choices of drug users and make them ineligible for the social safety nets like welfare, unemployment benefits, ect. If you cant pass a drug test, the rest of us shouldn't be paying for anything for you. You cant take care of yourself, then natural selection should be allowed to take its course.

I don’t necessarily disagree with you, but I am an adult in the upper to middle class and a full proper functioning member of society. Why shouldn’t I be able to enjoy a joint when I get off work. Because someone choose to take it to extremes? Because some can’t handle it? Why should I be punished. All while cigs and alcohol is still legal?

but Id also like to see the govt get out of the business of subsidizing the lifestyle choices of drug users and make them ineligible for the social safety nets like welfare, unemployment benefits, ect.

If you cant pass a drug test, the rest of us shouldn't be paying for anything for you. You cant take care of yourself, then natural selection should be allowed to take its course.

The problem with this is several fold. Lots of unintended consequences.

1) Policing such a thing takes a lot of government/administration/paper-work/people with salaries because cutting people off requires steps and also due process, etc. That takes time, and lots of money and people.

2) If you cut people off from benefits, safety net programs, etc- you create lots more criminals because even people with drug issues have loved ones and families that often depend on them and people will do a lot of crazy things when they are hungry/desperate.

You also harm people that are totally innocent. (It's one thing for a drug abuser to harm innocent people- that's bad enough. It's another when the state is harming them).

There are a number of us that probably know people that use drugs that also have jobs and provide for their families- or may be the sole source of income for their families, or might be single moms or dads. When you cut them off, you better be prepared for the state government to step in to raise their families. That costs lots of money too.

The main reason weed wasn't legalized long along is due to (wait for it)....the Pharmaceutical Industry and their lobbists. They have been known to pay practicing physicians 3-5x their current salaries to jump ship and flood the market with fear - running demonizing hit pieces and studies on weed for close to 50 years now. .

This is what happens when 75% of ALL AD REVENUE IN THE US comes from one highly corrupt industry who pays off everyone in their path. Quality people.

You see, there's this common misconception that marijuana is all about getting stoned and nothing more, but that's just scratching the surface!
What many folks tend to forget are the incredible medical benefits of marijuana. It's like a hidden gem! 🌿 It can be a game-changer for people dealing with chronic pain, anxiety, and even epilepsy. It's a natural alternative that can bring relief to those who need it most.
Speaking of which, I recently came across this website called Releaf. They offer this all-in-one medical cannabis kit that's worth checking out. It's like a treasure trove of information for those exploring the medical side of marijuana.

Last edited:
You see, there's this common misconception that marijuana is all about getting stoned and nothing more, but that's just scratching the surface!

In South Carolina, the Republican House speaker killed the medical marijuana bill last year in a procedural move that was a bit sneaky because he didn't want the issue debated on the floor.

This year Republicans opposition in the South Carolina Senate doomed the bill.

The Republican Governor has spoke against the idea when he's been asked about it.

Marijuana is illegal??? Then what's that guy doing at the corner Green & Harden? I've been going there since March of 68.

Oh! Wow Man! I'm gettin the munchies bad.

Reactions: Ward Jr
In South Carolina, the Republican House speaker killed the medical marijuana bill last year in a procedural move that was a bit sneaky because he didn't want the issue debated on the floor.

The Republican Governor has spoke against the idea when he's been asked about it.

There seems to be a recurring theme in your post? Both Republicans and Democrats take money from the Pharmaceutical Companies. They (pharma) are sacred to death of weed becoming legal nationwide. It crushes a very significant portion of their drug empire.

Every year these companies can get a state not to legalize means millions (if not billions) they retain within their traditional business model. The pivot to "let's vaccinate everything" subscription model medicine is part of their hedge against this trend. Call most any Pharmacy and you'll have to listen to them advertise their portfolio of vaccines before you can speak to any Pharmacist.

South Carolina will likely be one of the last states to flip as they use the conservative shield to justify not doing so. However, all roads lead back to lobbyist money funneling out of DC when it comes to this issue. The NorCal weed guys have been screaming this from the mountain tops since the 70s.

'Politicians should have to wear sponsor jackets like NASCAR drivers. Then the public will know who owns them." ~ actor/comedian Robin Williams

Last edited:
There seems to be a recurring theme in your post? Both Republicans and Democrats take money from the Pharmaceutical Companies. They (pharma) are sacred to death of weed becoming legal nationwide. It crushes a very significant portion of their drug empire.

I posted the facts as they are in South Carolina.

The Republican House Speaker killed the bill last year through a procedural move because he was fearful it might get close to passing.

Senate Republicans killed the bill this year.

The Republican governor has repeatedly signaled he doesn't like the idea of medical marijuana in South Carolina.

Their main "reasoning" - when they actually offer it - is they are afraid adults in South Carolina aren't responsible enough to so they have to be responsible for them.

It should be clarified that the South Carolina bill (killed by those above) would not even allow smoking "medical" cannabis and it would have greatly restricted who could use it with a prescription.

But it still was killed.

If left to the Democrats that voted in the House and Senate along with a small number of Republicans, it would have already been the law in South Carolina.

A relative in the house killed it last year as he said "it wasn't well crafted". If not for a procedural technicality which he brought up it might have passed then.

Last edited:
A relative in the house killed it last year as he said "it wasn't well crafted". If not for a procedural technicality which he brought up it might have passed then.

and the bill has been edited several times to appease some of the concerns (which didn't seem to be real concerns anyway)- it still hasn't passed.

I posted the facts as they are in South Carolina.

The Republican House Speaker killed the bill last year through a procedural move because he was fearful it might get close to passing.

Senate Republicans killed the bill this year.

The Republican governor has repeatedly signaled he doesn't like the idea of medical marijuana in South Carolina.

Their main "reasoning" - when they actually offer it - is they are afraid adults in South Carolina aren't responsible enough to so they have to be responsible for them.

It should be clarified that the South Carolina bill (killed by those above) would not even allow smoking "medical" cannabis and it would have greatly restricted who could use it with a prescription.

But it still was killed.

If left to the Democrats that voted in the House and Senate along with a small number of Republicans, it would have already been the law in South Carolina.

It's called lobbyist money, Dave. You should know all about that.

One of the true issues of MJ right now is that it's become a very highly competitive market. Growers are spiking the potency of their product and much of it has moved well beyond its natural bioavailable state.

As a result, users and peer-reviewed studies are showing psychosis has become a real issue. This is why microdosing is the best of both worlds. Regulation would also be nice if they can somehow separate from the pharma drug cartel. If not, that would send the price 10-fold and demand would mostly end up back with street dealers.

It's called lobbyist money, Dave. You should know all about that.

One of the true issues of MJ right now is that it's become a very highly competitive market. Growers are spiking the potency of their product and much of it has moved well beyond its natural bioavailable state.

As a result, users and peer-reviewed studies are showing psychosis has become a real issue. This is why microdosing is the best of both worlds. Regulation would also be nice if they can somehow separate from the pharma drug cartel. If not, that would send the price 10-fold and demand would mostly end up back with street dealers.

I worked at the state house for 2 years.

It has nothing to do with lobbyist money in South Carolina. It has everything to do with enough Republicans- in the legislature dreaming about the good ole days in the 1950s and being scared to death that a minority of "good church going Christian" right wingers will create holy heck for them if they dare vote to legalize medical cannabis for people suffering from awful diseases.

in 2022, the state Republican Party took out an attack ad slamming the proposed medical cannabis legislation in South Carolina and slamming proposed legislation at the federal level regarding the same topic.

South Carolina Republican Party Chairman Drew McKissick issued a statement affirming that the organization opposes “any” effort to end prohibition

“Our Party platform is clear: ‘We support firm enforcement of existing laws against the abuse and distribution of controlled substances, and we oppose any effort to legalize the use of controlled substances,’ and that includes marijuana,” McKissick said.

“We’ve seen Democrats across the country, even here at home campaign on legalizing weed against the wishes of law enforcement. “Unequivocally, the South Carolina Republican Party is against any effort to legalize, decriminalize the use of controlled substances, and that includes the medical bill."

68% of U.S. adults said they back legalizing cannabis in a Gallup poll

In South Carolina, the % has been anywhere from 66%-72%.

Sadly there are those in the State House who still believe it's a gateway drug. No amount of positive testimony from physicians and parents of children with severe seizures controlled by cannabis seems to have an affect. My Republican relative in the house says he supports medical legalization and hopefully that will be the first step as it has been in other states.

I don't know anyone who didn't drink beer before they ever smoked weed. Beer is the gateway drug. State legislators have no problem with gateway drugs.

Reactions: ToddFlanders
Sadly there are those in the State House who still believe it's a gateway drug. No amount of positive testimony from physicians and parents of children with severe seizures controlled by cannabis seems to have an affect. My Republican relative in the house says he supports medical legalization and hopefully that will be the first step as it has been in other states.
Does the South Carolina state legislatures have term limits? It is time to replace the legislatures that still support President Nixon policy the war on marijuana and replace them with self responsibility freedom legislatures.

Does the South Carolina state legislatures have term limits? It is time to replace the legislatures that still support President Nixon policy the war on marijuana and replace them with self responsibility freedom legislatures.

There are no term limits in the SC House and Senate. House members are up for election every 2 years and Senators every 4 years. I know of one Senator who has held his office since the late 1970's. But it's more about who we elect vs term limits. By now we would have medical marijuana and probably more if folks would elect Democrats.

Again, not to put words in anyone's mouth, but I interpreted that as, "we could vote Democrat for the Marijuana, it's all the unrelated garbage we'd get along with it that makes it unpalatable ".

We gets tons of unrelated garbage now with Republicans in control in South Carolina- and.........

we still don't have a medical cannabis bill.

The current controlling party isn't even willing to reform the Board of Trustees process at South Carolina. We have one member who has been on the board for over 40 years and graduated USC when Eisenhower was President

That should be unethical to serve on a board that long.

There are people that refuse to serve in appointed positions in South Carolina for more than 6-8 years because they realize having new ideas, new people is important. Then we have a member of the Board of Trustees at USC that is well into his mid 80s.

Some of the same people that want to vote to put a age limit on people serving in office keep voting for a Board member who is now 85 years old.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT