ADVERTISEMENT

OT: so I had a rough day today...

chick75

Jul 14, 2002
Camden, SC
Went out to walk my neighborhood after my 9:00 class. Got about 5 houses down and saw a German shepherd I had never seen before in a yard with a really sweet Golden who sometimes walks with me. The dog started barking at me and then rushed me. I turned around, and the dog bit me hard on my upper right thigh and then below my waist on my right side.

Then it just turned around as I walked quickly away. A neighbor heard heard my screams and came out to wait with me as I called the sheriff's office. Sheriff's office sent ambulance, and I went to ER. Tetanus shot, antibiotic for 5 days. Vet confirmed the dog was up on rabies shots, thank God.

Anyone had a similar experience? The nurse told me more than once I would be very sore tomorrow. I did press charges. They made sure to show me the bill.. so far.. before I left. DHEC has contacted me. Court date in about a month.

GOCOCKS! BEATSTANFORD! BEATGONZAGA!

Reactions: andypants
Sorry that it happened. Was a neighbor the owner?

I don't think so unless she or one of her sons got the dog recently. Very recently. I walk almost every day. They are quarantining the dog for 10 days.

I am sorry that happened. I hope you have a quick recovery. It would be back if something bad happened to our favorite poster.

Reactions: chick75
You should always walk with a strong handsome man. (wink/wink). Hope you heal quickly.

Ha! More than one person asked me today if I walked with a stick. Uh, no... Have not needed one in 30+ years. I was thinking at the time, "Not helpful! Not. Helpful."

Carry a Boomstick, much like what they tag sharks with.
I hope you heal quickly!

Bunch of really "great" replies here. Obviously no dog owners as well. Hopefully no one decides to take any of you guys to the "cleaners" - perhaps I can slam on my brakes and when you bump my rear bumper, I will also take you to the cleaners.

It would be good to understand general rules with dogs that you are not familiar with - if you see a strange dog, give them plenty of room. Do not turn your back on them - dogs have one effective weapon - i.e. their teeth. Punch them and kick them in the privates and they will leave you alone (and yes - use a stick to ensure that they understand who is the boss - even big German Shepherds and even Pits fully understand that point of view. Even as a young kid/teenager when I delivered newspapers back in the day when you would put them behind the screen door, I learned to deal with barking and obnoxious dogs (and yes I got bit a number of times and never worried about calling the cops or taking the owners to the cleaners - of course where I grew up, folks just did not have a lot of money).

I have a boxer and I also have posted signs on my property to NOT enter my property - but amazingly, I still have folks that apparently cannot read or pay attention to a guard dog. Dogs can read people better than most any other animal - including humans.

Sorry you got bit, but some of these responses - especially being glad the dog got locked up for 10 days or hope you take them to the cleaners are down right nuts. Hopefully the next time one of you cause an injury (e.g. a small car fender bender), the authorities will come and take you away and lock you up for 10 days.

I know this post is going to PO a number of you - but apologies up front for loving dogs.

Went out to walk my neighborhood after my 9:00 class. Got about 5 houses down and saw a German shepherd I had never seen before in a yard with a really sweet Golden who sometimes walks with me. The dog started barking at me and then rushed me. I turned around, and the dog bit me hard on my upper right thigh and then below my waist on my right side.

Then it just turned around as I walked quickly away. A neighbor heard heard my screams and came out to wait with me as I called the sheriff's office. Sheriff's office sent ambulance, and I went to ER. Tetanus shot, antibiotic for 5 days. Vet confirmed the dog was up on rabies shots, thank God.

Anyone had a similar experience? The nurse told me more than once I would be very sore tomorrow. I did press charges. They made sure to show me the bill.. so far.. before I left. DHEC has contacted me. Court date in about a month.

Sorry Chick. Hope you get better and someone learns a lesson.

Some people treat their dogs like...people, letting them roam and run free. Keep your dog in your property, fenced, leashed and generally out of other people's space. Everyone loves pets, but some folks take it way too far.

Sorry for your troubles, chick. Sorry also that your neighbor's yard is (apparently) not fenced in.

We do have a very friendly dog, and both of our back yards are fenced in. He'll often bark and and try to greet passers-by on foot (both of our houses are on corner lots). He is not allowed to greet someone up close unfettered unless we're in a fenced-in dog park.

Sorry that happened. Animal control will try to identify the owner of the dog. If the person that owned the dog had home owners insurance and did something careless you should seek to be made whole for your medical bills, permanent life-long scarring, and intangible harms.

The first problem is figuring out who owned the dog. The second is figuring out if they have liability coverage for animals. Some home owners policies exclude animals. People who rent usually have no insurance and the landlord won't likely be liable for this in SC. The third is determining if they did anything careless. For example, if the dog is known to be vicious, turning it out without a leash is careless.

You're the victim so Animal Control should cooperate with you. Article I, Section 24 of the SC Constitution lists a number of "Victim's Bill of Rights." However, it depends on the person at Animal Control whether they will comply with the Constitution or even help you in anyway at all.

Bunch of really "great" replies here. Obviously no dog owners as well. Hopefully no one decides to take any of you guys to the "cleaners" - perhaps I can slam on my brakes and when you bump my rear bumper, I will also take you to the cleaners.

It would be good to understand general rules with dogs that you are not familiar with - if you see a strange dog, give them plenty of room. Do not turn your back on them - dogs have one effective weapon - i.e. their teeth. Punch them and kick them in the privates and they will leave you alone (and yes - use a stick to ensure that they understand who is the boss - even big German Shepherds and even Pits fully understand that point of view. Even as a young kid/teenager when I delivered newspapers back in the day when you would put them behind the screen door, I learned to deal with barking and obnoxious dogs (and yes I got bit a number of times and never worried about calling the cops or taking the owners to the cleaners - of course where I grew up, folks just did not have a lot of money).

I have a boxer and I also have posted signs on my property to NOT enter my property - but amazingly, I still have folks that apparently cannot read or pay attention to a guard dog. Dogs can read people better than most any other animal - including humans.

Sorry you got bit, but some of these responses - especially being glad the dog got locked up for 10 days or hope you take them to the cleaners are down right nuts. Hopefully the next time one of you cause an injury (e.g. a small car fender bender), the authorities will come and take you away and lock you up for 10 days.

I know this post is going to PO a number of you - but apologies up front for loving dogs.

Letting a dangerous dog roam off a leash is negligent and illegal. That's how children are killed. As a dog owner, I have no problem with the dog being locked up or the owner having to own up for his negligence.

Glad the injuries weren't more serious, Chick. I just saw a news article 10 minutes ago about a dog mauling his owner.

I don't think so unless she or one of her sons got the dog recently. Very recently. I walk almost every day. They are quarantining the dog for 10 days.

In Camden this happened?? If so, what neighborhood, or approximately where at in Camden?

Just curious, no biggy, do know quite few folks Camden/Lugoff area.

Hope ya heal up quick my lady.

I'm confused. You said you pressed charges, but on who? How did you press charges if you don't know who owns the dog.

I thought I was gonna be attacked several years ago by a pit. I got lucky when the neighbor stuck her head out the door and called the dog back. I was surprised he listened. And I was in my own yard. He ran across the street to get to me. I don't carry anything when I'm walking now, but I wouldn't leave without a golf club for a long time.

Reactions: gspaint

And BTW, this is just for you chickybaby...

=;-p

Are you equating slamming on your brakes to someone taking a walk? You getting injured by slamming on your brakes is your fault. If someone is on their cell phone not paying attention and slams into you, it's their fault. Its not too much to ask people to take care of their animals. I'm sorry for the op, but I'm glad it wasn't a child.

Reactions: myrtlecock
I was bitten very badly by a cat in an apartment complex many years ago. Fortunately I knew who the cat belonged to, and it was up to date on shots. I had to have a number of shots, and the wound had to be checked several times a week. It jumped at me and bit me right above the knee on the side of my thigh.

I'm confused. You said you pressed charges, but on who? How did you press charges if you don't know who owns the dog.

I thought I was gonna be attacked several years ago by a pit. I got lucky when the neighbor stuck her head out the door and called the dog back. I was surprised he listened. And I was in my own yard. He ran across the street to get to me. I don't carry anything when I'm walking now, but I wouldn't leave without a golf club for a long time.

If they were able to confirm the dog was up to date on its shots, they were also able to confirm the owner's identity. More than likely the dog had a rabies tag on its collar and the authorities contacted the vet for the information.

*re rabies tags - good information for lost/found dogs. If they have a rabies tag, but no identifying tag, you can call the vet's office on the rabies tag and they can match the tag number with the owner.

Many years ago, like many, I had a paper route. Hard to carry a stick on your bike. I started carrying a water pistol with some diluted ammonia in it. Shoot a little on the dogs head and they'll go running. No harm to the dog. Still do that today when walking.

Many years ago, like many, I had a paper route. Hard to carry a stick on your bike. I started carrying a water pistol with some diluted ammonia in it. Shoot a little on the dogs head and they'll go running. No harm to the dog. Still do that today when walking.

When my buddy runs, he usually reaches down and grabs a handful of pebbles/rocks and puts them in his pocket. When a dog starts running at him, he tosses them at the dog and so far, they've always retreated. The ironic part, when a owner sees it, they get pissed off, yet they have not problem with their dog trying to chase down someone on the street. It's really not the dogs fault, it's the owners responsibility to keep them safe and restrained. IMHO, herein lies the problem today with many people/pet owners, lack of taking responsibility.

If they were able to confirm the dog was up to date on its shots, they were also able to confirm the owner's identity. More than likely the dog had a rabies tag on its collar and the authorities contacted the vet for the information.

*re rabies tags - good information for lost/found dogs. If they have a rabies tag, but no identifying tag, you can call the vet's office on the rabies tag and they can match the tag number with the owner.
Rabies information can also be relayed via microchip.

Reactions: Anna_Nimmitty
In Camden this happened?? If so, what neighborhood, or approximately where at in Camden?

Just curious, no biggy, do know quite few folks Camden/Lugoff area.

Hope ya heal up quick my lady.

I'm in the Wild, Wild, East Camden, as I fondly call it.

GOCOCKS! BEATSTANFORD! BEATAUB! BEATGONZAGA!

When my buddy runs, he usually reaches down and grabs a handful of pebbles/rocks and puts them in his pocket. When a dog starts running at him, he tosses them at the dog and so far, they've always retreated. The ironic part, when a owner sees it, they get pissed off, yet they have not problem with their dog trying to chase down someone on the street. It's really not the dogs fault, it's the owners responsibility to keep them safe and restrained. IMHO, herein lies the problem today with many people/pet owners, lack of taking responsibility.
I'll make a distinction here between tossing and throwing.
I don't like people throwing stuff at my dog when he's in the fenced-in back yard (he can't jump it) - fortunately, I'm only aware of it happening once.

Tossing to distract the dog. Throwing is meanness.

I know who owns the house, and the EMT asked a vehicle leaving the house whose dog it was. Turns out it is his brother's. I talked to Animal Control and DHEC yesterday. They have found the owner and were going to issue citations today. They did not tell me the name of the owner.

Thanks, y'all. I'm very sore today and took the day off since I had a medical note covering yesterday and today.

To the poster above, I'm not a "take to the cleaners" kind of person. I had NEVER seen that dog before. He was just lying in the yard I have walked past 1000s of times (no exaggeration... I have lived here 32 years and walk almost every day). I did nothing to be aggressive, had no stick, was just minding my business when he viciously attacked me. I was in the street, not in his yard. I have no clue if the owner of the house was pet-sitting, just got a new dog, or what. He did have a black box around his neck on the collar. Invisible fencing and dead batteries? Some kind of zapper? I don't know. I have cats! The way he attacked, though, was awful. Don't know what the jaw strength of a 100-lb German is, but I imagine it is pretty powerful judging from the bruising I have and the fact that I feel as if I have whiplash.

I can hardly sit down or sleep well and am having to take antibiotic precautions. Tetanus shot site hurts almost as much as the bites. I don't think I should have to be responsible for the medical bills, though. I had no plans when I went out to walk as I do almost every day to have to go to the ER.

I was also extremely fortunate, particularly since I have an almost year old knee replacement, that I did not fall or injure that.

If it makes the poster feel better who loves dogs, I did NOT want the dog put down at all. I was very relieved that the shots were up-to-date both for the dog and for the fact that I didn't have to do the rabies series. I don't think requiring the owner to keep him quarantined for 10 days observation is unreasonable. I'm going to be sore for at least that long, and my bruising will last longer. I have no doubt the punctures that bled profusely will scar.

I love animals too, but that's not the point.

Thanks, y'all. I'm very sore today and took the day off since I had a medical note covering yesterday and today.

To the poster above, I'm not a "take to the cleaners" kind of person. I had NEVER seen that dog before. He was just lying in the yard I have walked past 1000s of times (no exaggeration... I have lived here 32 years and walk almost every day). I did nothing to be aggressive, had no stick, was just minding my business when he viciously attacked me. I was in the street, not in his yard. I have no clue if the owner of the house was pet-sitting, just got a new dog, or what. He did have a black box around his neck on the collar. Invisible fencing and dead batteries? Some kind of zapper? I don't know. I have cats! The way he attacked, though, was awful. Don't know what the jaw strength of a 100-lb German is, but I imagine it is pretty powerful judging from the bruising I have and the fact that I feel as if I have whiplash.

I can hardly sit down or sleep well and am having to take antibiotic precautions. Tetanus shot site hurts almost as much as the bites. I don't think I should have to be responsible for the medical bills, though. I had no plans when I went out to walk as I do almost every day to have to go to the ER.

I was also extremely fortunate, particularly since I have an almost year old knee replacement, that I did not fall or injure that.

If it makes the poster feel better who loves dogs, I did NOT want the dog put down at all. I was very relieved that the shots were up-to-date both for the dog and for the fact that I didn't have to do the rabies series. I don't think requiring the owner to keep him quarantined for 10 days observation is unreasonable. I'm going to be sore for at least that long, and my bruising will last longer. I have no doubt the punctures that bled profusely will scar.

I love animals too, but that's not the point.

Chick, this one here is shear humor, but I made another post here on fgf with a Bob Marley tune on Youtube. I happened to see a link to the following on the YouTube page of "Don't worry, bout a thing - every little thing gonna be alright" and I thought of you and what a few other's had referenced in this thread in regards to the German Shepard. IOW's, this is nothing more than a reply of irony this one is...

Last edited:
Did I just read a defense of the dog?....hahaha. What great advice on what not to do when encountering a strange dog:mad:. Hey keydet#, do you advise dogs on how to react to new people? That's the problem nobody tells the strange dogs what's right or wrong huh? As bad as it was, and it was not good, it could have been your child the dog didn't like then the 10 days behind doggy bars would be more up your alley. It has nothing to do with being, or not being, a dog lover it's about Chick being attacked in her own neighborhood by an animal my friend. Man, how I hate the blame the victim crap. I help you get well Chick

Reactions: Anna_Nimmitty
A professional dog handler once told me the best defense when being attacked by a dog is to make sure it bites your hand. Then, take your hand and shove it so far down the dog's throat that you wear their neck like a sleeve. LOL!

A professional dog handler once told me the best defense when being attacked by a dog is to make sure it bites your hand. Then, take your hand and shove it so far down the dog's throat that you wear their neck like a sleeve. LOL!
I swear that's true!! Had many guys that are affiliated with dog training tell me that.

Reactions: Cock_Donor
I'm in the very small minority that hates dogs so I think it deserves to be a hot order of general tso's

When I used to ride my bike a good bit I carried ammonia and water at a 1/1 ratio... hit them anywhere in the face and they will never come near you again. If the owner has a problem with it, spray them too.

I'll make a distinction here between tossing and throwing.
I don't like people throwing stuff at my dog when he's in the fenced-in back yard (he can't jump it) - fortunately, I'm only aware of it happening once.

Tossing to distract the dog. Throwing is meanness.

I would be mad at someone throwing crap at my dog, who was secured on my property too. That's not the same as a dog running loose, chasing joggers on the street. I think I was pretty clear about that.

Reactions: atl-cock
I would be mad at someone throwing crap at my dog, who was secured on my property too. That's not the same as a dog running loose, chasing joggers on the street. I think I was pretty clear about that.

You were quite clear on that.

Almost always, my dog just wants the passers-by to say "hi" and acknowledge his presence. Few do.

I swear that's true!! Had many guys that are affiliated with dog training tell me that.
I believe it, too. This crazy ol' basted slapped a poodle off a grooming table twice because the dog wouldn't let the owner wash or groom it. He knew some things about dogs.

I had a paper route back in the '50s and water pistol filled with ammonia was exactly what I did too. Worked like a charm.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT