ADVERTISEMENT

OT - Some Programs Don't Tolerate Losing...(OU)

Wow !!! I’m sure all those 2nd half points that gave up to UGA in the playoff game was a factor also . Hey that’s why elite programs stay elite .
They recognize that their performance against certain programs - in this case, Texas, is their chief indicator and predictor of program success. They are moving to make certain that what happened yesterday doesn't keep happening.

You can’t have that mindset. It’s ridiculous. Like OU will ever be a Top 5 all-time program if they replace coaches mid season....

On a serious note. Don’t think we made a serious push for Lincoln Riley, or not serious enough. Dude will have a few more playoff games under his belt and probably a NC or 2 in the next 10 years.

Last edited:
On a serious note. Don’t think we made a serious push for Lincoln Riley, or not serious enough. Dude will have a few more playoff games under his belt and probably a NC or 2
He interviewed twice from what I understand. I think other than Muschamp, he interviewed the most for the job and wanted it. I have a feeling Big Bob got in his ear when he got home and spilled the beans that he'd be retiring and I think that was the end of that.

Reactions: rogue cock
He interviewed twice from what I understand. I think other than Muschamp, he interviewed the most for the job and wanted it. I have a feeling Big Bob got in his ear when he got home and spilled the beans that he'd be retiring and I think that was the end of that.

I think I did read that somewhere awhile back now that you mention it. And I’m not piling on CRT, or taking away from a great win yesterday, but assuming you interview twice, and the interviews take hours potentially, you wonder what questions these coaches ask. Can I fire a coach mid season if we give up 50 points to our rival? No. We don’t allow that here. Ok great. Otoh, I suppose it’s also a possibility Lincoln might not be like that either, but it might have been up to the OU brass. Been pretty successful the last few years around there, I’m sure they like being where they feel is their rightful spot in college football.

I've always hoped Carolina would adopt a pro-active stance regarding no toleration for athletic mediocrity. In the long run the university would be better off.

Reactions: king ward
Give em all 1 year contracts like teachers in OK. Renewable each year for the same pay... or less.

OU and here are different so not apples to apples. They have a history of success and no guarantee Riley would have been successful here. I like him and would have been interesting to see what he could have done here but also want to give Muschamp a chance. I agree the defense has been disappointing. Need the front 7 to improve. Feel like recruits and freshman already here will help

Strange. I thought holding a team to 48 was pretty good in the Big 12.

On the other hand, who knew they even have defensive coordinators in that league.

Reactions: DarkCock
On a serious note. Don’t think we made a serious push for Lincoln Riley, or not serious enough. Dude will have a few more playoff games under his belt and probably a NC or 2
Stoops likely had already told him he was leaving, or would have if he had seriously looked at other jobs. I doubt he would have left Norman to come here once that happened.

Do you think he was offered?

Remember that time OU ran off Brent Venables because they don't tolerate losing.

iu

Reactions: viennacocks
I think with Brent and OU familiarity bred contempt, plus Stoops hiring his brother I guess. Not like OU is hurting without him, even without a NC. Who wouldn’t take a couple of playoff appearances the last 3-4 years? Either way, like a lot of coaches, he looks great with great talent, but we kicked his D’s arse when we had great talent.

I wouldn’t say to fire the whole staff every 3,years for sure, but definitely pull the trigger extra quick on a lousy coordinator, and try your best to make a good new hire. Whammy, Roper, etc....gone yesterday, but hire a PROVEN guy

Reactions: ddw1263
Remember that time OU ran off Brent Venables because they don't tolerate losing.

iu
Well, that didn't occur in mid-season and Venables wasn't fired. He had the option to stay at OU after the 2012 season- was even asked to stay. But he didn't want to remain as co-defensive coordinator with Mike Stoops, whom Bob hired after Mike got fired from the HC job at Arizona. It worked out great for Venables because he then got to go coach Oklahoma level talent - or better - in a far less offensively- dynamic league than the Big 12. And it's worth mentioning that OU's defense, which was 55th nationally during Venables' last year, finished 8th nationally the following year. But the main thing is that Venables was welcome to stay at Oklahoma.

The story is here if you don't mind completing a one-question poll.

https://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsex...cle_1ed28057-a1ba-5804-96c5-d6d7a00986e6.html

King you have a point for sure, but we are not Oklahoma. When you get your pick of top talent, you are expected to be good. We do not have our pic of top talent so our leash is much longer.

Question????

MuscHAMP has been here for 3 years and his first hire was Travaris Robinson... With MuscHAMP being a defensive minded coach, why hasn't the defense gotten any better since he was hired???

Yep Said same above We are not OU. You have to look at the talent a coach had to work with. Horse Teeth at Fla had talent and didn’t win. Some will say same about WM when he was there and that is fair. But here is different. Cupboard was almost bare

Reactions: okccock
King you have a point for sure, but we are not Oklahoma. When you get your pick of top talent, you are expected to be good. We do not have our pic of top talent so our leash is much longer.
As I stated in post no. 4, this is in the way of a contingency.

Yep Said same above We are not OU. You have to look at the talent a coach had to work with. Horse Teeth at Fla had talent and didn’t win. Some will say same about WM when he was there and that is fair. But here is different. Cupboard was almost bare
Which is why the head coach gets five years. But only the head coach is sacrosanct. And do what you need to do at season's end. But do it.

Question????

MuscHAMP has been here for 3 years and his first hire was Travaris Robinson... With MuscHAMP being a defensive minded coach, why hasn't the defense gotten any better since he was hired???

Completely agree !!! Seems T-Rob has gotten a pass the entire time and to me this defense has been no better than the 2014 defense against less than stellar competition. Defense is soft and undisciplined . Giving up 200+ yards on the ground in 3 out of 5 games is pretty telling . Roper was fired and Bmac has already taken heat this year but T-Rob has gotten off easy .

I agree with the talent thing, but do what you can where you can. Reach out to more areas, actually look for better coaches, go the extra mile on those new facilities, and spend that SEC money. Sell the brand everywhere. Why we are OJT university is beyond me for positions that pay 6 figures. I had a similar back and forth with another Cocks fan, and said CU and UGA sell that tradition. Maybe. But before 2016, Clemson had to sell tradition from 20 years before these current freshmen were born. Not to mention, even though it seems like an eternity, it wasn’t that long ago we had all the momentum in this series, but during that time, they still were recruiting, selling, and bringing in (and PAYING) top coordinators. That’s vision and an investment in football.

I thought for the most part the defense was much improved last year. They kept us in a lot of games despite how putrid the offense was. This year has a bit of a step backwards but we did graduate a few key players in the front 7 and our top pass rusher has been out the last few weeks. I think things will get better as the year goes on as more guys get more experience and DJ Wonnum returns.

Completely agree !!! Seems T-Rob has gotten a pass the entire time and to me this defense has been no better than the 2014 defense against less than stellar competition. Defense is soft and undisciplined . Giving up 200+ yards on the ground in 3 out of 5 games is pretty telling . Roper was fired and Bmac has already taken heat this year but T-Rob has gotten off easy .

No one wants to answer the question at hand...

This isn't a great defensive program under MuscHAMP...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT