ADVERTISEMENT

OT: sports memorabilia

budman1976

May 10, 2005
Chapin, SC
It's off topic but gamecock related for sure. Becuase I'd have sime gamecock jerseys and balls even some taters I'm sure (it's about business at that point). But I've been kicking the notion around of opening a true sports memorabilia store in Columbia. Not a baseball card shop but a store with signed jerseys, balls, bats, mini/full helmets (all certified), cards that are graded from all sports. Even some full framed signed jerseys. Deffinatly would also do live online auctions with mystery boxs that have signed jerseys ( those are alot of fun to be apart of) . But, We have nothing like this here and it could be the market just isn't strong here like in some cities that have pro teams. Just wondering how many of you buy items already for your man cave, kids or home.

Last edited:
Saffran's in downtown Columbia has an insane amount of Gamecock Memorabilia. They have things no one could compete with. There's things in there like the original cocky uniform, tons of signed jerseys, old pictures, Bob Fulton' s audio collection, game worn helmets, programs dating back decades ago, and all sorts of other things that every Gamecock fan should go see

Saffran's in downtown Columbia has an insane amount of Gamecock Memorabilia. They have things no one could compete with. There's things in there like the original cocky uniform, tons of signed jerseys, old pictures, Bob Fulton' s audio collection, game worn helmets, programs dating back decades ago, and all sorts of other things that every Gamecock fan should go see

Do they have anything other than just Gamecock memorabilia?

Last edited:
Cool, I didnt know about that. Ill have to check it out

Any memorabilia from Cocky's predecessor?

What I'm considering doing isn't like that store. Yes ill have some Gamecock items hell even some tater stuff (it's about the $$) and Watson is a hot ticket now, but I'd have more pro player items. I just purchased a Oklahoma State helmet with thurman Thomas and Barry Sanders signed along with a USA hockey jersey #80 framed with all 20 players from the miracle on ice . It's these type items I'd have.

What I'm considering doing isn't like that store. Yes ill have some Gamecock items hell even some tater stuff (it's about the $$) and Watson is a hot ticket now, but I'd have more pro player items. I just purchased a Oklahoma State helmet with thurman Thomas and Barry Sanders signed along with a USA hockey jersey #80 framed with all 20 players from the miracle on ice . It's these type items I'd have.

You would probably do better off doing this stuff online. You would cut the overhead costs. I just don't think in Columbia, SC you are going to get many folks looking to buy stuff like that on a daily basis.

Mike at Saffran's will tell you most of his crowd are just folks coming in to look at the stuff and few buy. And that's in a Gamecock market. I don't think you'll have many people in this area wanting to buy a hockey jersey or Barry Sanders stuff .

Maybe I'm wrong, but I would just spend money on a really cool website and Facebook marketing

You would probably do better off doing this stuff online. You would cut the overhead costs. I just don't think in Columbia, SC you are going to get many folks looking to buy stuff like that on a daily basis.

Mike at Saffran's will tell you most of his crowd are just folks coming in to look at the stuff and few buy. And that's in a Gamecock market. I don't think you'll have many people in this area wanting to buy a hockey jersey or Barry Sanders stuff .

Maybe I'm wrong, but I would just spend money on a really cool website and Facebook marketing

This.

Those two items were for me and my personal collection :) Online is a must in today's world that's deffinatly a given. But to me there is always something more personable to a place you can actually visit. I have a friend who runs a memorabilia store in Baton Rouge who's doing really well and I let him put this crazy idea in my head :).

Those two items were for me and my personal collection :) Online is a must in today's world that's deffinatly a given. But to me there is always something more personable to a place you can actually visit. I have a friend who runs a memorabilia store in Baton Rouge who's doing really well and I let him put this crazy idea in my head :).
Well heck, what are waiting for? Go for it!

Any consideration to ,in addition to what you are talking about,letting people consign items?

I would look outside of downtown though as I would think the lease would be way too high. Find a 1500 square foot place that can showcase your main items and make sure folks know they can find more stuff online. Look out for places that hide high CAM costs and make sure they cap it. Find a good property management group (I prefer local)

yes but that is a whole different universe

Reactions: budman1976

Everything in that store cost about a $1000 or more

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT