ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Time Magazine most influential people in the world of 2021 is so ridiculous. Look at some of the people on there.

jsusc

Aug 12, 2004
Dolly Parton? Shohei Ohtani? Scarlett Johansson? Jason Sudeikis?

I like Dolly Parton, Shohei is a great player, and Scarlett Johansson is hot...but how are any of these people and several other on this list in the top one million people, much less top 100?

Tom Brady is on the list! :rolleyes:

It's just dumb, and it probably irritates me more than it should.

https://time.com/collection/100-most-influential-people-2021/

Last edited:
Britney Spears? World’s most influential? Hmm. I worry about the people over at Time Magazine. They need to get out more.

Reactions: cockofdawn

I like Dolly Parton, Shohei is a great player, and Scarlett Johansson is hot...but how are any of these people and several other on this list in the top one million people, much less top 100?

I have to disagree, at least partially, on Dolly Parton. She is known for her generosity, especially with her own people. When the fires ravaged Gatlinburg and again with the Covid shutdowns, she gave millions of her own money to help the people of Sevier county. And she also has her book charity. She provides millions of books to children who might otherwise never become proficient readers. Does that make her worthy of the top 100? I don't know but it makes her worth consideration at least.

If Scarlett Johansson can influence 20 million people to shell out $10 each to watch a movie, I’d say that’s pretty influential. I think you’re confusing INFLUENTIAL with IMPORTANT. If you said Scarlett Johansson isn’t the least bit IMPORTANT in the grand scheme of things, I’d totally agree.

If Scarlett Johansson can influence 20 million people to shell out $10 each to watch a movie, I’d say that’s pretty influential. I think you’re confusing INFLUENTIAL with IMPORTANT. If you said Scarlett Johansson isn’t the least bit IMPORTANT in the grand scheme of things, I’d totally agree.
Every member of the U.S. Senate is more influential than Scarlett Johansson.

Every member of the Forbe's billionaire list is more influential than Scarlett Johansson.

Every member of the Forbe's billionaire list is more influential than Scarlett Johansson.

not sure if you even bothered to read the post you just quoted but no, every member of Congress is not more influential than Scarlett Johansson. Again, you are mistaking influential with important.

Reactions: rogue cock

But they don't command my attention every time I see them.

not sure if you even bothered to read the post you just quoted but no, every member of Congress is not more influential than Scarlett Johansson. Again, you are mistaking influential with important.
I said the Senate. But sure, Scarlett Johansson is more influential than someone that casts a vote for Supreme Court nominees and trillion dollar spending bills. I know the difference in the two words, and they pretty much go hand in hand. I'm sure she's more influential than Boris Johnson and Tony Fauci though.

I guess some people are Influenced by celebrities, their actions or causes, i am not. But hey, i dont judge people that are. What Scarlett Johansen says does not influence me one llittle bit, but if she does you, so be it, to each his own....

I’m not influenced by celebrities and I’ll show this by providing my opinion which word for word matches what the taking head on TV said last night.
Well, Tucker Carlson was also on that list! 😄

Please let me remind you that this article was written by a journalist with a deadline. Please disregard all top 10 or other lists. The journalist gets paid if right or wrong. Journalists don’t seem to be embarrassed if they get things wrong by mistake or even misguide readers on purpose with their biases. DGYPIAW. YMMV. WGAS. IMHO.

I guess some people are Influenced by celebrities, their actions or causes, i am not. But hey, i dont judge people that are. What Scarlett Johansen says does not influence me one llittle bit, but if she does you, so be it, to each his own....

she influenced you enough to come on this thread and say that’s she’s not influential. I’d say that’s pretty damn influential. She wouldn’t have hundreds of millions of dollars if she wasn’t influential. But again, if you said she wasn’t important, I’d agree

I said the Senate. But sure, Scarlett Johansson is more influential than someone that casts a vote for Supreme Court nominees and trillion dollar spending bills. I know the difference in the two words, and they pretty much go hand in hand. I'm sure she's more influential than Boris Johnson and Tony Fauci though.

Scarlett Johansson, Dolly Parton, etc were influential enough for you to start a thread to try to tell us how they aren’t influential. That should tell you all you need to know.

And no, influential and important don’t “go hand in hand”. Important means they play a big part on the good and bad that happens in our lives, the true movers and shakers of society. INFLUENTIAL means they INFLUENCE people to do shit. Like buy movie tickets, products, watching sports, etc.

There's only one person on the whole list I would walk across the street to see. That person would be Dolly Parton.

I've not heard of 3 quarters of those people, so how could they be influential? Dolly would be the most famous and known worldwide.

As far as Joe Biden, would he even know what day of the week it is? It's a sad list, and I think it's political.

As far as the number of blacks on the list? Where do they have this influence? On a small percentage of our poplulation? They make up a big portion of the list.

Who do the foreigners have influence over? I get the head man from China but other than that?

Sad, Sad, Sad list....

The day Britney Spears has more influence than Dolly, that's the day we know we have sunk to an all time low on the most influential people in the US and World.

Reactions: importcock
Scarlett Johansson, Dolly Parton, etc were influential enough for you to start a thread to try to tell us how they aren’t influential. That should tell you all you need to know.

And no, influential and important don’t “go hand in hand”. Important means they play a big part on the good and bad that happens in our lives, the true movers and shakers of society. INFLUENTIAL means they INFLUENCE people to do shit. Like buy movie tickets, products, watching sports, etc.
I never said they weren't influential. You are putting words on my keyboard. Of course, though, I'm sure everyone will agree with you that she is more influential than Bill Gates and Jeff Bezos. And that Angela Merkel and Putin. Their influence is a pebble to Scarlett's Mt. Everest.

As far as influential and important, if you're one, you're generally also the other.

Now, please tell me how Bad Bunny has more influence than Jamie Dimon and Chuck Schumer.

https://time.com/collection/100-most-influential-people-2021/
I guess it's in the eye of the beholder. I haven't looked at the entire article yet but none of the people you mentioned influences me.

First off - lists are made because people love reading lists. They're short and easy to process. However, no one is claiming a list as high-brow journalism.

But did anyone actually look at the whole list? There's a whole section for politics as well (which included trump and carlson - so the people screaming the loudest about the list can calm down a bit).

I do like the idea from some that "I don't know them, so they can't be influential." That just means you're an underinformed person. Maybe read the associated stories and see why they were listed, AND THEN make a determination (instead of screaming - "if I don't already know the information, then what I know is the best information!").

First off - lists are made because people love reading lists. They're short and easy to process. However, no one is claiming a list as high-brow journalism.

But did anyone actually look at the whole list? There's a whole section for politics as well (which included trump and carlson - so the people screaming the loudest about the list can calm down a bit).

I do like the idea from some that "I don't know them, so they can't be influential." That just means you're an underinformed person. Maybe read the associated stories and see why they were listed, AND THEN make a determination (instead of screaming - "if I don't already know the information, then what I know is the best information!").
I have zero doubt that everyone on that list has some measure of influence, but come on. Kate Winslet is on that list and Nancy Pelosi is not.

Reactions: redrogers
I guess it's in the eye of the beholder. I haven't looked at the entire article yet but none of the people you mentioned influences me.

I would guess that for most people, they aren't influenced by the rich and famous as much as they are by family, friends, etc. This is especially true the older we get. However, I can see where the people on this list do have a tremendous amount of influence directly over a large portion of people. Whether it be political influence, influence for social change, or influence on a particular industry (like movies or music).

I too don't see any of these people having personal influence over me - my "most influential" list starts with my daughters (they're the only ones that can get me to do anything I don't want to do).

I never said they weren't influential. You are putting words on my keyboard. Of course, though, I'm sure everyone will agree with you that she is more influential than Bill Gates and Jeff Bezos. And that Angela Merkel and Putin. Their influence is a pebble to Scarlett's Mt. Everest.

As far as influential and important, if you're one, you're generally also the other.

Now, please tell me how Bad Bunny has more influence than Jamie Dimon and Chuck Schumer.

no, SOMETIMES, people can be both influential and important. That’s people like Trump, or Fauci, etc.

then you got people like the celebrities you mentioned…influential but not really important at all.

then you’ve got people who are extremely important, but not overly influential….like cops, firefighters, nurses, teachers, etc. very important because of the jobs they do, but not overly influential in affecting public policy etc.

I never said a word about Bill Gates or Jeff Bezos. I’d agree that they, Elon Musk, and the Apple people are all very important AND influential. If you’re saying they weren’t on the list, I’d agree that pretty stupid.

I have zero doubt that everyone on that list has some measure of influence, but come on. Kate Winslet is on that list and Nancy Pelosi is not.

You can't name everyone. If it were a top 100 list of "most politically influential" people, then I would whole heartedly agree that Winslet shouldn't be on there above Pelosi.

Please explain the wokeness of Dolly Parton? Shohei Ohtani?
Nice no thought, smear those I don’t like with a far right no research dog whistle.
Please explain the wokeness of Dolly Parton? Shohei Ohtani?
Nice no thought, smear those I don’t like with a far right no research dog whistle.
ROFLMAO, Okay like usual a Leftie i always correct... I apologize for Living.

Reactions: redrogers
Not arguing that. But does her comportment affect my behavior or mindset? The answer is no. Whatever influence I have absorbed, I absorbed it from elsewhere.
These are frivolous lists and the point you miss is it ain’t about you personally but on a much larger societal scale.
I am sure the list of who influences you is massively different as would mine, but Dolly would be on my most admired list. I would only hope that people could look at my life and say it was influenced by Dolly’s

These are frivolous lists and the point you miss is it ain’t about you personally but on a much larger societal scale.
I am sure the list of who influences you is massively different as would mine, but Dolly would be on my most admired list. I would only hope that people could look at my life and say it was influenced by Dolly’s
the list did not say the 100 most admired, Or did it??

It's just a stupid list. It has Billie Eilish on there. Is Billie Eilish really more influential than Justin Trudeau or Mark Zuckerberg? I guess it did its job, though. It got me agitated and posting about it. But I can't help it because it's so damn dumb. It has athletes on there, but Lebron James is not one of them. Neither is Messi or Ronaldo. But Suni Lee sure is.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT