ADVERTISEMENT

OT - Unclaimed $1.5B jackpot could put hole in S. Carolina budget

Cocky kebo57

Aug 21, 2004
A hop and a skip from the Lake Murray dam
This fortune has yet to be claimed by anyone and time is running out. What reasons could someone have for taking this long to come forward and claim it? I know, we've discussed getting lawyers and financial advisers in place, but that shouldn't take more than a few weeks?? I think the numbers were picked Oct. 26th, or close to that. Last year someone suggested they were probably waiting till 2019 because it would help with the taxes, so it's been 2019 for 6 weeks now. If it were me, I would have claimed the money by now and be spending some of my winter in the Bahama's on my new yacht!! Laughing

COLUMBIA, S.C. — The winner of a $1.537 billion lottery jackpot in South Carolina has yet to come forward. That means the state of South Carolina might be a big loser too.

Economic officials estimated the winner would pay $61 million in state income taxes, and put that money into the budget. That much money could pay for new voting machines or a police officer in every South Carolina public school.

But with the prize unclaimed, the state Board of Economic Advisors is expected Thursday to suggest removing the $61 million windfall from the state spending plan. That's more than 0.5 percent of South Carolina's $9 billion budget in lawmakers' control.

The winner has until April 19 to claim the prize before it's returned to the 44 states that play Mega Millions.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News