ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Weather Freak Out

I know this is the trendy thing to blame the media now but this has been going on since the 70s.
You can't be serious? The media is totally out of control. There's no resemblance between what is happening today and even 10 years ago, much less 50.

Most credible, independent journalists doing honest reporting have been driven to Substack.

We went to Disney while all of that was going on and were just blown away at the number of people who were going down 95 with 8 or 9 gas cans strapped to their trailer hitch table and in the back of their pickups.
The problem is that it feeds itself. If you don't also get unnecessary food, gas, or toilet paper then you stand a good chance of not getting it when you really do need it, just like Will110 said.

I've never really cared about food because I can eat anything over a short term period. But I'm not interested in going without toilet paper or gas for any length of time.

Most people are hoarding because of other hoarders with no real concern about the storm, hack, etc.

Reactions: uscwatson21
The problem is that it feeds itself. If you don't also get unnecessary food, gas, or toilet paper then you stand a good chance of not getting it when you really do need it, just like Will110 said.

I've never really cared about food because I can eat anything over a short term period. But I'm not interested in going without toilet paper or gas for any length of time.

Most people are hoarding because of other hoarders with no real concern about the storm, hack, etc.
No way. Food I have to have. I can get in my shower or bathtub to clean my butt. Toilet paper is not a necessity to me.

Reactions: Dizzy01
Heaven forbid people be prepared. I will laugh like hell when the day comes and you are not because you think it’s stupid. Don’t go asking them to help you out when they have gas and you don’t.
Well since the only “shortage” was from people panic buying I’m not real worried about. We stopped at all the same spots we always did and there wasn’t a single spot out of gas. If there was an actual real shortage it would be different but creating one because you panic bought isn’t being prepared. Those 15 cans of gas aren’t going to do you any more good than the pallet of apocalypse food from Jim Bakker.

You can't be serious? The media is totally out of control. There's no resemblance between what is happening today and even 10 years ago, much less 50.

Most credible, independent journalists doing honest reporting have been driven to Substack.
So you don’t think people panicked and ran to the grocery store to buy up bread, milk and eggs before 10 years ago?

And if you do that when the forecast is “wintery mix” you’re not being prepared you’re being a moron.
Who are y’all to tell someone how much milk they should drink. They can buy whatever the hell they want. As long as it doesn’t go to waste I don’t see the problem.

So you don’t think people panicked and ran to the grocery store to buy up bread, milk and eggs before 10 years ago?
Sure they did....Hurricanes included.
There are lines for everything after a storm passes through.

Reactions: Dizzy01
Heaven forbid people be prepared. I will laugh like hell when the day comes and you are not because you think it’s stupid. Don’t go asking them to help you out when they have gas and you don’t.
It's not preparing when there's an "emergency" and you run out and buy everything you can lay your hands on. Preparing is buying an extra pack of dried goods or frozen food each time you go to the store to have on hand for a future situation.

Panic buying is NOT preparing.

It's not preparing when there's an "emergency" and you run out and buy everything you can lay your hands on. Preparing is buying an extra pack of dried goods or frozen food each time you go to the store to have on hand for a future situation.

That’s your opinion. Preparing can be done anytime before the event. We can agree to disagree. But items are first come first serve so I think it’s crazy to complain because you were late to the party, Also known as Ill prepared.

I don't see why you people even drink milk. The people who will throw up in their mouths at the thought of drinking a woman's breast milk will happily slug down a big glass of bovine breast milk. Or pour it all over their Lucky Charms.

Milk is gross.

I don't see why you people even drink milk. The people who will throw up in their mouths at the thought of drinking a woman's breast milk will happily slug down a big glass of bovine breast milk. Or pour it all over their Lucky Charms.

Milk is gross.

Mainly because the taste profile is no where near the same and yes I have had both. No not only as a child either . Human milk on lucky charms Would taste like crap. I love a good bowl of lucky charms.

Milk is gross.
I like milk. You don't. Shrug. I like Lucky Charms too but my favorite is Honey Smacks.

Local news is all but obsolete though. Most of the country now watches sensational, fear mongering national news because of the way these cable and streaming services are setup. Blackrock TV.
It's really sad. The local news near me is still pretty strong including local news radio.

Reactions: turncock
Amateurs! No run on toilet paper? Up here in the. Northern Virginia area, mention snow 4-5 days before a possible storm and the grocery store aisles are depleted of the basic necessities of life—— TP, bread and milk.
I lived up there and the phrase I heard was “milk, bread, and toilet paper”
We once moved from Springfield to Fairfax Station and the snow flakes started when the moving truck left and we were snowed in for 3 days.

Reactions: uscfootfan
I live near the mountains in Western Virginia and yesterday they said anywhere between 2" and 30". The stored have been devastated.

Ok so someone explain why the hell everyone needs to buy chicken for a one day snow event. Worst case it’ll take 2-3 days to thaw out.

Doesn’t bother me but I will laugh when all these panic buyers end up without power and they’re desperately trying to shuffle a couple of hundred dollars in groceries from the fridge to the cooler.

Buy some chips and salsa and your favorite beverage. You can stick the beverage and salsa in the snow and the chips should last 3 days.

Who are y’all to tell someone how much milk they should drink. They can buy whatever the hell they want. As long as it doesn’t go to waste I don’t see the problem.
I never said anything about how much milk you drink. You could drain a cow every day for all I care. That said if you go out and buy 5 cows worth of milk because of a cold rain it doesn’t change how ridiculous that is.

Reactions: Robhawk29

Milk is gross.
I was raised on a dairy farm. Drank the milk right out of the cooling tank before it was homogenized. Good. Can’t drink milk that is 2% or lite. Never had a broken bone except fingers (from playing ball) and a jaw (from playing ball).

I was raised on a dairy farm. Drank the milk right out of the cooling tank before it was homogenized. Good. Can’t drink milk that is 2% or lite. Never had a broken bone except fingers (from playing ball) and a jaw (from playing ball).
Hahaha. I’m with you on anything outside of whole milk but I love the “I’ve never broken a bone outside of all these times I’ve broken a bone.”

I’d venture a guess most people have never broken a bone even from playing ball.

That’s your opinion. Preparing can be done anytime before the event. We can agree to disagree. But items are first come first serve so I think it’s crazy to complain because you were late to the party, Also known as Ill prepared.
My point being that people who hear one whisper that snow is on the way aren't preparing when they buy all the bread or milk off the shelf in the store. That's panicking, and it creates a problem when there doesn't need to be one. It's why stores have to limit how many items people can buy when things like this happen. People lose their minds and don't use common sense.

One of the problems that you have in the South than other places is that we typically get ice storms as part of or instead of a snow storm. It seems that our pine trees are designed to shed limbs when the weight of the ice is too much. So we get cold weather and the power goes out. Not good if you have a lot of perishable food or if you want to keep warm. Icy roads are worse than snow covered roads.

Reactions: chief2791
Growing up, the only milk we drank at our house was whole milk. In college I started drinking 2% for reasons I'm still not sure why. Now, years later, I just can't drink whole milk. It just seems too heavy, for lack of a better description.

One of the problems that you have in the South than other places is that we typically get ice storms as part of or instead of a snow storm. It seems that our pine trees are designed to shed limbs when the weight of the ice is too much. So we get cold weather and the power goes out. Not good if you have a lot of perishable food or if you want to keep warm. Icy roads are worse than snow covered roads.
The power outage thing is why I don't quite understand the rush to stock up on milk, either during potential winter weather or for a hurricane. If the power goes out, what the heck is 5 gallons of milk going bad going to do for you other than make your refrigerator smell atrocious?

I agree. My wife picks up a pack of dried beans about once a month. In our pantry now, we have 4-5 bags of dried beans (black-eyed peas, baby limas, mixed beans) and a few bags of rice. That's our emergency supply of food. But we also eat it as part of our regular meal planning on occasion. Good stuff.

We really never have to panic buy anything.

Ok so someone explain why the hell everyone needs to buy chicken for a one day snow event. Worst case it’ll take 2-3 days to thaw out.

Doesn’t bother me but I will laugh when all these panic buyers end up without power and they’re desperately trying to shuffle a couple of hundred dollars in groceries from the fridge to the cooler.

Buy some chips and salsa and your favorite beverage. You can stick the beverage and salsa in the snow and the chips should last 3 days.

For some people, the threat of bad weather is an excuse to plan to have a big family meal at some point because they know they'll all be piled up in the same house together.

Reactions: Gamecockben1979
I agree. My wife picks up a pack of dried beans about once a month. In our pantry now, we have 4-5 bags of dried beans (black-eyed peas, baby limas, mixed beans) and a few bags of rice. That's our emergency supply of food. But we also eat it as part of our regular meal planning on occasion. Good stuff.

We really never have to panic buy anything.
Sounds like the amount of food after a Costco shopping trip

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT