ADVERTISEMENT

OT: when the mail-person puts the mail in the wrong box.

Judson1

Jul 31, 2008
Mainly because of similar addresses. Our address here at work starts with 222. We get items with 222 for other people all the time. Just called a guy (I know him) because he had a package in our mailbox. He said he had been waiting since the 1st for it.
I think attention to detail is a thing of the past.
Oh and another time I was expecting an item to be mailed to work. I walked out and saw a “your package is at the post office” sticker because we tried to deliver. I went down there and told them they didn’t try to deliver anything because the security camera is aimed at the front gate/mailbox.
They want to play UPS/Fed Ex and get the money for it but don’t want to put forth the effort to deliver.

I've got multiple relatives that retired after decades working for the USPS. They have stories that would make your blood boil. One of them had to attempt delivery on a letter that was lost in the postal system for 25 years. It is a wasteland for taxpayer money and overpaid gov't bean counters.

One of the postmasters was busted for embezzling over a million dollars, he was scamming stamp sales. It only took the gov't a decade to catch him. These examples are from a moderately sized post office, can't imagine the scams in larger cities.

It's a typical government entity. They have no incentive to do a better job because there would be no reward. I have to say the one in our town is pretty good. We do get others' mail from time to time. I just put it back in the box unless it's the next door neighbors'.

A lot of local small post offices close for lunch, from 12 to 1 or 12:30 to 1:30, just when people have their lunch break and time to go.

Tells you all you need to know.

It's a typical government entity. They have no incentive to do a better job because there would be no reward. I have to say the one in our town is pretty good. We do get others' mail from time to time. I just put it back in the box unless it's the next door neighbors'.

I'm with you. Our mail people are usually pretty good. They deliver the wrong stuff on occasion, sometimes it's next door stuff, sometimes it looks like it got stuck together at some point in the sorting. Nothing that's so bad it warrants acting like it's the end of the world.

If being a weekly newspaper editor has taught me anything over the past couple decades, it's to be more tolerant because lord knows I screw up enough.

I remember one mail lady we had for decades who stopped and came up to the house to tell us the job had just worn her out because traffic was getting worse, the routes were getting longer with so many more houses being built and they were supposed to be able to finish them faster. Sounded like my job, sort of -- do more and more with less and less.

We bought her a fruitcake or case of beer or something. She was a tough old woman, rode around in that jeep with a little bitty fan on 100 degree days ....

Reactions: Judson1
The USPS mailman is constantly putting mail in the wrong boxes where I have an apartment downtown. At least once a week I’m getting several pieces of a neighbors mail. (I typically just walk it to my neighbors apartment) I get human error happens from time to time.
But its been the same mailman for years. It’s constant and you would think he should know the system.

Last edited:
Mainly because of similar addresses. Our address here at work starts with 222. We get items with 222 for other people all the time. Just called a guy (I know him) because he had a package in our mailbox. He said he had been waiting since the 1st for it.
Oh and another time I was expecting an item to be mailed to work. I walked out and saw a “your package is at the post office” sticker because we tried to deliver. I went down there and told them they didn’t try to deliver anything because the security camera is aimed at the front gate/mailbox.
They want to play UPS/Fed Ex and get the money for it but don’t want to put forth the effort to deliver.

Ok, I'm the dumb one here. What am I missing? "Our address here at work starts with 222. We get items with 222 for other people all the time"

Ok, I'm the dumb one here. What am I missing? "Our address here at work starts with 222. We get items with 222 for other people all the time"
Meaning if Joe Blow lives at 222 Sweetwater Avenue his mail ends up at our 222 Sweetwater Rd address.
Sorry I may not have explained it clearly originally.

Reactions: king ward
When purchasing from online stores or anything really use your zip +4 number and the automation sorter usually gets it sorted correctly for the driver.

Reactions: Judson1

Call it human error, uknow like the Challenger.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT