ADVERTISEMENT

OT:Who on this board has cut the cord with cable, Dish, Directv, etc?

BedouinCock

Jan 4, 2008
What have you switched to using for your television viewing pleasure? How much money are you saving each month? Are you happy with the results?

I cut the cord several months ago with Direct TV and went with Sling TV for $25 and free over the air HD tv. My thirst for tv viewing is satisfied but I am anxious to see how it works during football season. I believe that I will be pleased. Direct TV is now working over time to get me back trying to seduce me into returning with promises of low rates the first year. When I terminated my subscription with them, they proudly said that they would "get me back". I do not think that will happen! They fooled me once.

I, also, subscribed to Netflix for $8. Roku offers an abundance of channels, movies, etc for free.

My annual savings will exceed $1,200. At this point in the venture I have more than recovered my initial financial payout in an antenna for the attic and the Roku box.

Last edited:
I dumped Time Warner for a different reason. They refused to carry the SEC network when it went on line. I bundled Sling, Hulu and Netflicks with a Roku and upgraded to faster internet. Worked great through last football season. With WatchESPN you'll get most NCAA football games, except those on something like Fox or CBS. I'm not saving a lot of money, but since I'm not a big TV watcher I'm pleased. Only occasional problem, like if internet goes down in area. Oh yeh, you get most of Gamecock baseball. Not sure about basketball, I only have the stomach to watch the women and you'll get most of those.

Cancelled TWC a while back. I use Netflix and Kodi add-ons (new XBMC) for most of my TV and movie watching. And I also pull down OTA channels as well. Oh, and I bumped my internet speed up a tier, although I don't see a whole lot of difference.

cancelled Uverse TV for over the air digital signal; I swear the picture is better. Still Uverse internet and will go with SlingTV sports package

Cut the SatTV several months ago. The cost had just gotten outrageous. I got the fastest internet pipe I could (~60) and I tried Roku, FireTV, and most recently an Nvidia Shield. Each has its strengths and weaknesses. The Shield is the best and most expensive. With those boxes I get Netflix, Amazon, Sling, Plex, etc...

The Sling interface needs work, but I get ESPN, SEC, and much more with that.

I put an antenna on my roof and got a SiliconDust tuner to feed that signal to my network. Live TV on the shield is great.

I watch mostly Sling and Netflix and use Plex for my downloaded/ripped Movies and TV shows.

I am saving a ton of money.

On the ESPN channels with ROKU and Sling how do you handle the fact you no longer have a cable or dish account? Does the Sling account cover that?

ESPN is inside Sling. I got the Sling +Sports account so I get ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU, and SEC and I can log into the WatchESPN app as well with my Sling account. The only drawback is that it is for viewing on one device at a time only. But features are being added rapidly.

Left DTV three months ago. I have a Roku setup with Netflix and Hulu.
4 months ago I was spending 96.00 per month for satellite service. This month I paid 17.00
In three months I have already recouped the cost of the Roku with $ to spare. Projected annual savings will be approx. 950.00. I may add sling for sports coverage but even with that the monthly bill would be only about 42.00, which is much better than 96.00 per month

Reactions: jweaks
Cord cutter here. I got tired of paying an arm and a leg for a basic cable package that didn't even include most of the premier sports channels (ESPNU, SEC Network, ESPN News, etc.). I kept my internet package with TWC, and invested the $60 for a Roku 2 and a $20 HD antenna. I couldn't be happier.
I get NBC, ABC, CBS, and FOX for free, and all of the NFL and NCAA football that comes with it. In addition, I subscribe to SlingTv +Sports for $25 a month, which gets me ESPN, ESPN 2, SEC Network, ESPNU, ESPN News, etc., as well as a bunch of other quality channels (Travel Channel, History, H2, and so on). I already had a Netflix subscription ($8/month), so I have that as well.
Therefore, after $80 in startup costs, plus $63/month for internet, Sling TV + the Sports add-on, and Netflix, I have everything I could ever want, as well as the option to watch my shows on my time. My basic cable alone used to cost me something like $80, and I didn't get half the channels I get now. How people haven't caught onto this already, I don't know, but cable TV is in big, big trouble when they do. There is no justification for the costs associated with cable TV when there are so many better options for half the price and no obligation.

Reactions: jweaks
I currently live in Charleston, where the wonderful Mayor Riley has his pockets stuffed with cash by Comcast. The result is a cap on internet data services set to a pathetically low 200 GB for residential accounts, then an astounding $10 per 50 Gb (!) after that. Yes, you read that correctly. This is for standard, out of the wall cable internet. Of course, I see this as highway robbery. My bill for a house of three jumped to over $250 per month (TV+Internet with HBO, 1 HDTV box (no DVR)). Absolutely insane for a cable service that gets shittier by the year, IMO of course.

As a result, I cancelled all services with Comcast Residential. I now have a Comcast Business account that costs exactly $124 per month for 75 MBPS service with unlimited data. I use a PS4 Xbox One and my desktop PC on my TVs for services. We haven't missed a thing. I go to the local watering hole for roughly four or five games, attend around three games per season at Willy Brice. Of course I skip the crappy games we have no business playing in the first place (Coastal, Furman, etc.). I also usually catch one or two games at friends houses as well, but that is a static situation.

I couldn't be happier. I haven't missed a beat. Highly recommend it. Cable is a dying format and isn't worth the headache and BS. I know it probably won't work for all, but I am more than happy.

I cut the cord in January and haven't been disappointed. I use an antenna which feeds 4 TVs and picks up the major networks (NBC, CBS, ABC, FOX, CW, My40, plus about 25 more channels) Then have Roku on each TV. With Roku, I subscribe to Netflix, Hulu (which is basically serves as a DVR) and SlingTV (Live ESPN, Disney and more) all for less than $40 month. The only drawback is CBS has their own streaming service. So if you watch a lot of CBS shows, you will have to watch them live on antenna, subscribe to CBS All Access for $6 / month or watch them on computer the next day. But as more and more cut the cord, I think it is only a matter of time before internet providers start limiting data or charging more.

I cut the cord in January and haven't been disappointed. I use an antenna which feeds 4 TVs and picks up the major networks (NBC, CBS, ABC, FOX, CW, My40, plus about 25 more channels) Then have Roku on each TV. With Roku, I subscribe to Netflix, Hulu (which is basically serves as a DVR) and SlingTV (Live ESPN, Disney and more) all for less than $40 month. The only drawback is CBS has their own streaming service. So if you watch a lot of CBS shows, you will have to watch them live on antenna, subscribe to CBS All Access for $6 / month or watch them on computer the next day. But as more and more cut the cord, I think it is only a matter of time before internet providers start limiting data or charging more.

I am afraid you are correct about the future limiting of data from internet providers. I suspect that we should enjoy these options for as long as we can. When that time comes and I am forced to continue the free tv only route, there will be enough football and other sports on free ABC, CBS and NBC to consume as much time as I want. I refuse to become the victim of greedy providers again. We do not watch much tv at my house anyway as we are retired and in the fall period of our lives. I grew up with free tv and now appreciate it more than ever.

They started putting in place the limiting of data about four years ago. Check with your provider, I know all major providers have a cap in place, most "aren't charging for it". The only way to combat this is to find out which politicians are being paid off and vote them out of office. Nothing will change until the leadership is held accountable.

Reactions: BedouinCock
I have everything I could ever want, as well as the option to watch my shows on my time.
Does that apply to Sling TV or just Netflix? Looking at the Sling TV website, I found this: "Sling TV includes a 3-day replay feature that allows you to watch shows that have aired in the past three days on the following channels: HGTV, DIY, Travel Channel, Cooking Channel, Food Network, Galavision, El Rey, Univision Deportes, Universal Sports, and beIN Sports and we expect this list to grow. Sling International customers can enjoy exclusive 8-day replay on all international channels."

I cut out satellite months ago and my attic antenna gives a better HD picture than I ever got from TW or Directv.

Roku 3 with ESPN, free OTA channels plus Netflix offers more than any human being could ever keep up with.

cancelled DirectTV, then after returning the little "Card" they sent me a bill for Movies they say I rented Years earlier and "they say" never paid for.. YEAH RIGHT... I am not paying, If I rented movies years prior and you didnt bill me, sorry. statute of limitations is up in MY opnion.

Does that apply to Sling TV or just Netflix? Looking at the Sling TV website, I found this: "Sling TV includes a 3-day replay feature that allows you to watch shows that have aired in the past three days on the following channels: HGTV, DIY, Travel Channel, Cooking Channel, Food Network, Galavision, El Rey, Univision Deportes, Universal Sports, and beIN Sports and we expect this list to grow. Sling International customers can enjoy exclusive 8-day replay on all international channels."

That applies to having both SlingTV +Sports and Netflix. The HD antenna doesn't hurt either. All of the sports I need are either on Sling (every ESPN affiliate) or are broadcast over the air for free on CBS, Fox, NBC, and ABC. All of the live channels that I enjoy are on Sling (Travel Channel, History, etc.) and all other shows seem to be available on Netflix. Plus, the awesome thing about the Roku is that it has a master search option that essentially allows you to find any show or movie you could ever want to watch on a pay as you go basis through all of its available platforms (VUDU, Amazon Instant Video, etc.).

I dumped Time Warner for a different reason. They refused to carry the SEC network when it went on line. I bundled Sling, Hulu and Netflicks with a Roku and upgraded to faster internet. Worked great through last football season. With WatchESPN you'll get most NCAA football games, except those on something like Fox or CBS. I'm not saving a lot of money, but since I'm not a big TV watcher I'm pleased. Only occasional problem, like if internet goes down in area. Oh yeh, you get most of Gamecock baseball. Not sure about basketball, I only have the stomach to watch the women and you'll get most of those.

Are you saying that you get ESPNWatch for free through Sling or one of the others? I know you can access ESPNWATCH through your computer if you have a user name and password through your cable provider. If I drop my cable plan I can not access ESPNWatch through cable provider's user account. How much are you paying for each of your services now? Thanks for your response.

I read more closely what has been said. I now understand that you get ESPN, etc through Sling TV. It does sound like if I am not at home I can not access ESPNWATCH thru my computer since I would need a user account and not sure that I would have one thru Sling TV.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT