ADVERTISEMENT

Our defense STINKS...

usc01#

Jan 19, 2001
We have given up 1,054 yards of offense in the two games against FBS schools this year. That is an average of 527 yards per game. WTF Muschamp? Thought this was your specialty...We are horrible and our secondary is no bueno...we could have the best offense in the history of our school and not win many games with this defense. We sure Whammy Ward isn’t over there calling the plays?

We have given up 1,054 yards of offense in the two games against FBS schools this year. That is an average of 527 yards per game. WTF Muschamp? Thought this was your specialty...We are horrible and our secondary is no bueno...we could have the best offense in the history of our school and not win many games with this defense. We sure Whammy Ward isn’t over there calling the plays?
You need to be patient. Champ needs to get his players in the system.

What really SUX is giving BAMA numerous short-yardage possessions in Gamecock territory thus putting your D in bend over and get hosed situations.

I love how all of a sudden you guys just woke up and realized how awful our defense is . Did you watch the UGA , Mizzou and Ole Miss games last year ?? I mention these games because these games happened before all the injuries . We gave up 500+ yards 4 times last year . T-Rob sucks . Muschamp is no defensive genius . He just coached teams loaded with Five stars at Texas and Florida . Doesn’t take much thought when you have NFL first rounders at every position .

There are 5-6 players on defense getting significant playing time that probably wouldn't make the 2-deep at Vandy. Look closely. We are incredibly deficient at certain positions on defense. On top of that, we are wasting 21's potential while creating a liability.

Reactions: CQCKnFIRE
This defense will help rewrite the record books for many teams this season.

I wonder if they ever practice tackling at all?

They seem to be very slow, do we even try to recruit fast players?

DB’s seem to be out of position a lot, why?

If we hire a new DC I hope Muschamp conducts a true nationwide search to find the best possible candidate. Please do not promote an assistant or hire someone because you coached with him 10 years ago.

Talent all over the place, at least on paper.

giphy-downsized-large.gif

The two most glaring things to me are Jam at safety, he offers no run support. He is just too small. Second we do not have an edge rusher. All of our pressure is coming from up the middle, we need an edge rusher badly.

Do any of you guys realize how good this Alabama offense is? They have the best QB in college throwing to (at least) four receivers who will be drafted, behind a bunch of four and five star OL, and a RB who will be drafted. This offense will run over everyone they play this year. I think you'll see our defense play much better as the season goes on.

By the way, I'm not making any excuses for the UNC game. Our entire team didn't play well that day. I'm still pissed about that game. Yesterday Alabama was the better team obviously but I think we played better than the final score indicated.

Do any of you guys realize how good this Alabama offense is? They have the best QB in college throwing to (at least) four receivers who will be drafted, behind a bunch of four and five star OL, and a RB who will be drafted. This offense will run over everyone they play this year. I think you'll see our defense play much better as the season goes on.

By the way, I'm not making any excuses for the UNC game. Our entire team didn't play well that day. I'm still pissed about that game. Yesterday Alabama was the better team obviously but I think we played better than the final score indicated.

I would save this type of comment for after Mizzouri and Kentucky game it might not age well

You need to be patient. Champ needs to get his players in the system.
Real cute..... The fact is Horn and Muk and Jammie and Ernest Jones are all going to get better and better. But fact is. Jones played in his 5th game in the Bowl game last year. Horn is a true Soph. Starting. Muk is a true Soph. starting, Jammie is a true Fresh who got here in the summer. They are all upgrades and are extremely talented but they are young. Add Smith, Sanders, and Dixon. Ibe has sat out a year and a half. Boykins and Brown are going to be real good. Yes it's been four years. But that's saying you are getting top quality players after coming in late right before signing day year one. You cant count year one coming in late on a 3-9 team. It took two years to get some of these players like 5 star Pickens and 4 star Enagbare. But these guys are freshman and Soph's.
Between this board and the Big Spur if these are fans I would hate to see enemies. Plus I would sure like about 80% of these board members to show up to work Monday and be judged like they judge others.

Real cute..... The fact is Horn and Muk and Jammie and Ernest Jones are all going to get better and better. But fact is. Jones played in his 5th game in the Bowl game last year. Horn is a true Soph. Starting. Muk is a true Soph. starting, Jammie is a true Fresh who got here in the summer. They are all upgrades and are extremely talented but they are young. Add Smith, Sanders, and Dixon. Ibe has sat out a year and a half. Boykins and Brown are going to be real good. Yes it's been four years. But that's saying you are getting top quality players after coming in late right before signing day year one. You cant count year one coming in late on a 3-9 team. It took two years to get some of these players like 5 star Pickens and 4 star Enagbare. But these guys are freshman and Soph's.
Between this board and the Big Spur if these are fans I would hate to see enemies. Plus I would sure like about 80% of these board members to show up to work Monday and be judged like they judge others.
The same thing was said about all the juniors and seniors. But guess what? You aren't saying they're going to get better anymore. They didn't progress. And I don't blame them. Give me $20 million dollars to be fired and I don't care what anyone says. See how that works? Where's the incentive????????

Reactions: agantt
I love when people say crap like this ...where I work i'm judged on performance....if my team doesn't perform and if I dont make changes, my job is on the line

I love when people say crap like this ...where I work i'm judged on performance....if my team doesn't perform and if I dont make changes, my job is on the line

That's how most of us put food on the table. We have a blindly optimistic section of our fanbase who believe things will magically get better on their own. They probably buy lottery tickets, too.

I love how all of a sudden you guys just woke up and realized how awful our defense is . Did you watch the UGA , Mizzou and Ole Miss games last year ?? I mention these games because these games happened before all the injuries . We gave up 500+ yards 4 times last year . T-Rob sucks . Muschamp is no defensive genius . He just coached teams loaded with Five stars at Texas and Florida . Doesn’t take much thought when you have NFL first rounders at every position .

Sadly, I think there is truth in this statement. It seems like we are out of position a lot and we can't adjust. Nova posted an analysis about defending the slant. I don't think we even tried to adjust and they kept killing us with it every other play.

The whole “we are young” argument shouldn't hold water in college football where players only play 3-4 years. Every team has players cycling in and cycling out constantly. A team never truly grows up as generally the same number of old players leave as new players come in every year. Therefore every team is equal in that regard as they all have about the same number of new vs old players. If a player is named a starter, then regardless of what class he belongs to, he should play as a starter. T Rob even bestowed the title of “Lockdown Corner” on Horn and Muk.” Considering this title is supposedly reserved for elite corners, then youth certainly can’t be blamed.

Statistically our game with Alabama was nearly identical to Oklahoma"s game with them in the playoff last year.

Oklahoma just did not have officials screwing them over on scoring plays.

Alabama averaged 522 yards / game last season and 570 so far this season. They have only lost 1 of 17 games. No one is stoping them.

I agree with the talent differential. I stated over the last couple of years that we didn’t have the talent to not be a “bend but don’t break” at this point. A lack of talent gets you beat off the line. It can explain the lack of pressure. It can cause you to get outrun. What it does not cause is the lack of fundamentals when it comes to tackling; that is about fortitude, being where you are supposed to be, and fundamentals. The inability to tackle in year four falls on the staff completely. I’d bet if you asked any defensive coach at middle school and up, they’d tell you the same.

Statistically our game with Alabama was nearly identical to Oklahoma"s game with them in the playoff last year.

Oklahoma just did not have officials screwing them over on scoring plays.

Alabama averaged 522 yards / game last season and 570 so far this season. They have only lost 1 of 17 games. No one is stoping them.
Are you saying the Gamecocks are as talented as Oklahoma?

Sadly, I think there is truth in this statement. It seems like we are out of position a lot and we can't adjust. Nova posted an analysis about defending the slant. I don't think we even tried to adjust and they kept killing us with it every other play.

Agree . I will say this , The athletic ability of those 4 Bama Receivers may be unprecedented. Against any other team those slant routes go for 10 yards at the most . Those guys are Cheetahs. The difference is we don’t have a guy like DJ Swearinger anymore that would decapitate a WR running that route constantly . Our guys just don’t like contact . Be interesting to see if Bama runs the same routes against LSU with all the headhunters they have in the secondary .

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT