ADVERTISEMENT

Our team is much better than our fans

I keep saying it but so many dont think about this...it took Spurrier over 5 years to get things rolling here.
Weve got a better product on the field than when WM took over and weve got 5* and several 4* guys committed right now.
I just think you have to continue to support and be patient and selectively air our your frustrations.
Every other program is trying to improve too...its going to be a battle. I'm amazed at how many people just think we are going to turn into a national power overnight.

Not even the 97 degree heat, Not the Monsoonal 2nd Half...could stop the Gamecocks from winning that game ! Had a Blast! The FANS that stayed, and in the ramps (My wife and I included) did a good job of helping to fluster the tigers and Pump the Cocks up ! It was a great game to witness ! Carolina 37 - Missouri 35 ! Go Cocks !

What makes a credible OC? Of these, which do our OC possess? Serious reply only please. Thanks in advance?

Example would be brad Lawing as d line coach. He has proven his ability to teach fundamentals and motivate players at several major div 1 programs. Now that doesn’t mean he should be the defensive coordinator.

I have sat in the stands watching our fans get up and leave at the first sign of rain, didn't even come prepared for it even when it was predicted, never intended to stay. I've also observed fans leaving during the second quarter or at halftime of games - even with no readmission - to head for their party sites. They came for the social aspects. Look, I know we have some great fans, but for the most part, this is not a hard core fan base.

Reactions: jimnasium
Would Auburn, Bama, LSU, FLA, UGA etc. have an 80% empty stadium under the same circumstances? Apparently our fans have more exciting things to do than all of the above-mentioned fanbases.
As a matter of fact yes they would. Attendance is down everywhere.

Our fans are basically like any others. You better believe Alabama, LSU, and Georgia fans would bail out of games early if they weren't delivering like they want. Anyone ever watch the 1994 Carolina-LSU game? Basically a half empty Tiger Stadium booing their own team for 4 quarters.

Yeah, I left yesterday's game early. If you don't like it, go fly a kite. I didn't leave because I was mad at our team. It was frustrating at times, but I never sensed our guys were quitting. They did deserve support. And If I were still a 20 year old college kid, I would have stayed the whole game. But the family wanted to leave and I had plans later that day.

College football is definitely making it tougher for families to go to games. More games against teams no one cares about, longer conference road trips against non-rival permanent opponents, higher ticket prices, no night games ever, the same cruddy concourses and restrooms, and plenty of commercial breaks make it a little bit of a drag to follow live sometimes. My goodness, the TVs in the concourses and lounges don't even show what down or how much time is left even if you do want to escape the elements for a few minutes. So yeah, after 4.5 hours of stifling heat and a deluge, I left early. If you stayed the whole game, good job. I'm glad your personal situation allowed for it. Mine didn't.

Carolina fans are pretty good. Not the best, but there aren't too many teams with a history of utter mediocrity like ours whose fans provide our level of support year after year. Anyway, ugly but good upset win yesterday. It's a team I'll continue to support the rest of the season, which will hopefully have a few more wins and maybe even a surprise or two.

Our fans are basically like any others. You better believe Alabama, LSU, and Georgia fans would bail out of games early if they weren't delivering like they want. Anyone ever watch the 1994 Carolina-LSU game? Basically a half empty Tiger Stadium booing their own team for 4 quarters.

Yeah, I left yesterday's game early. If you don't like it, go fly a kite. I didn't leave because I was mad at our team. It was frustrating at times, but I never sensed our guys were quitting. They did deserve support. And If I were still a 20 year old college kid, I would have stayed the whole game. But the family wanted to leave and I had plans later that day.

College football is definitely making it tougher for families to go to games. More games against teams no one cares about, longer conference road trips against non-rival permanent opponents, higher ticket prices, no night games ever, the same cruddy concourses and restrooms, and plenty of commercial breaks make it a little bit of a drag to follow live sometimes. My goodness, the TVs in the concourses and lounges don't even show what down or how much time is left even if you do want to escape the elements for a few minutes. So yeah, after 4.5 hours of stifling heat and a deluge, I left early. If you stayed the whole game, good job. I'm glad your personal situation allowed for it. Mine didn't.

Carolina fans are pretty good. Not the best, but there aren't too many teams with a history of utter mediocrity like ours whose fans provide our level of support year after year. Anyway, ugly but good upset win yesterday. It's a team I'll continue to support the rest of the season, which will hopefully have a few more wins and maybe even a surprise or two.
Great post. Our fans are no worse than anyone else.

Reactions: robertfootball
You think you're great fans but you are not.. I was in the stadium all thru the rain and onslaught of a terrific offense led by the best passer in our league... The fans punked out and went home.. Stop blasting coaches and players.. Look in a mirror and see what you can do to support the program better
Fans that bash their own players on social media aren't good fans in my opinions. I understand the frustration with poor play, but some folks need to get a grip.
I don't think you're a bad fan if you leave a game early when weather is a factor. My kids drank plenty of water yesterday but we were in the blazing sun in east-upper. They couldn't take it anymore, even after going in the tunnel for a while. We left because the temperature was a danger to their health, and I was feel a bit woozy at times too (and I didn't have any alcohol). If it had started raining earlier, we probably would have stayed.

I think our fans have a false sense of what USC's football history is. After 3 11 win seasons under Spurrier (3 of only 4 10+ win seasons in OUR ENTIRE HISTORY) some fans think we're Alabama. We're not. Never will be. There are a lot of factors why that is the case. Not saying we can't compete for a championship from time to time and regularly win 8 games per year. That's not being satisfied with mediocrity, that's just being realistic about economics.

Fans that bash their own players on social media aren't good fans in my opinions. I understand the frustration with poor play, but some folks need to get a grip.
I don't think you're a bad fan if you leave a game early when weather is a factor. My kids drank plenty of water yesterday but we were in the blazing sun in east-upper. They couldn't take it anymore, even after going in the tunnel for a while. We left because the temperature was a danger to their health, and I was feel a bit woozy at times too (and I didn't have any alcohol). If it had started raining earlier, we probably would have stayed.

I think our fans have a false sense of what USC's football history is. After 3 11 win seasons under Spurrier (3 of only 4 10+ win seasons in OUR ENTIRE HISTORY) some fans think we're Alabama. We're not. Never will be. There are a lot of factors why that is the case. Not saying we can't compete for a championship from time to time and regularly win 8 games per year. That's not being satisfied with mediocrity, that's just being realistic about economics.

I agree somewhat. I think it's crappy to bash players. I don't say "Bentley sucks" like some do. I don't think our fan base is especially bad in this regard. Other than the fact that better teams' fans have less to complain about because they have fewer losses.

Nothing wrong with having higher expectations after the good Spurrier years. We have been a better program in the last 20 years than we had ever been previously. More bowl wins, ranked finishes, draft picks, etc. No one expects Bama success. No USC fan thinks we're Bama. That's just outright false. But we definitely and reasonably expect annual bowl appearances, better success against our in-state rival (i.e. not getting embarrassed every year), and rarely losing more against noted school with nowhere near our football money or resources Kentucky. Sorry, but beating Kentucky every year is a reasonable expectation.

Why have you continued to buy tickets for 4 decades, if you are not satisfied with the team's performance.

Why don't you STOP purchasing season tickets and allow someone else to purchase those tickets, who will support our FB team rain are shine.

I have supported the gamecocks since the Marvin Bass days (1950's) and they have taught me how to endure pain. What I want to point out is I have more years behind me than I have ahead of me.

I was there when Archie Manning and Miss. State beat us 56 to 0, and we got 1 first down late in the 4th qtr. Also, I was there when we beat LSU, Fla St, Alabama, and other ranked teams.

My point is support the team NOW and hold onto your memories of the past. GO COCKS.
D. Weaver
Hartsville
I thought Archie Manning played @ Ole Miss instead of Miss State.

Reactions: 67gamecock
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT