ADVERTISEMENT

P&C: Top Ten Gamecock QBs

I wish Wright had played under SOS. Scott was a screw up, and he had a new OC practically every year.
Wrighthad a big accurate arm....great play action...great wheels.

Absolutely correct. He's a top five for sure in my Top 3. Plus he was a ridiculous baseball player. Probably THE Best athlete to play QB at Carolina
david is probably too young 2 have witnessed him n action.......now as far as best athlete 2 play qb n cola? newton might garner a few votes

No Mike Hold? I know the guy was a part timer but I'd put him up there somewhere.

Reactions: gr8spur
You are correct move Jeff Grantz up. Garcia could have been in the top 5 had he had his head into the game like Shaw, Petty, and several others.

All these young writers need to know that you can't compare passing stats of today to stats of thirty years ago. Back then the rules allowed for defensive players to actually play defense.

The article left one thing out: Shaw's 24 TDs and 1 INT for his senior year is one of the most ridiculous stats I have ever seen. Hopefully we will have more great QBs that challenge Shaw for that #1 spot (Bentley?), but I doubt we will ever see anyone with a TD-INT ratio like that ever again.

That's pretty sad that this is the best we got. The interception machine, Todd Ellis, head case, Stephen Garcia and Blake Mitchell? Not QB U, that's for sure. I would love to have another Connor Shaw, though.

That's pretty sad that this is the best we got. The interception machine, Todd Ellis, head case, Stephen Garcia and Blake Mitchell? Not QB U, that's for sure. I would love to have another Connor Shaw, though.
Kind of par for the course for a program that has hovered around the .500 mark don't you think? There is a big drop off after the top three. My top three that is.

Ellis is way over rated, he threw to Sterling Sharpe and Ryan Bethea and had Harold Green in the backfield.

Ellis at # 3 and Grantz at # 9?

Petty seems low as well, we had 1 Bowl win prior to him and 3 after he graduated.

Last edited:
I know we only have a relatively small sample size but I believe that Jake should easily join this list before his career is done. The only question is how high he will finish . . . no disrespect to the guys that paved the way. He may be the best QB in the SEC right now. Just look at how national analysts viewed him last year.

https://www.teamspeedkills.com/2016...s-2016-jalen-hurts-shea-patterson-jacob-eason

Reactions: SCspur1
Wright was one of my all time favorites. He was always running for his life due to the lack of OL blocking. Still, amazingly athletic great play maker.
I'm glad he played in the league long enuff to get a ring. He should gets a nice pension check for 9 years in the league.

Grantz needs to be #2, he was a great runner, but decent arm too. Not many young guys have seen him play, so they just throw him way down the list, not understanding that he ran the veer, and didn't have crazy throwing numbers. My list.........1. Shaw 2. Grantz 3. Ellis 4. Taneyhill 5. Suggs 6.Petty 7.Hold 8. Dylan 9. Wright 10. Dan Reeves

Its an odd list. No Mike Hold and whst was arguably our best season vs our most difficult schedule. I dont have too many issues but i do have a problem with the order thwyrw numbered in.

My biggest beef is Blake Mitchell making the top 10. I hate to say it but he was teri bradshaw without the brains. If you dont know what i mean, Bradshaw was considered one of the dumbest qbs to ever play in the NFL. Just flat out dumb and couldnt halfway read a playbook. Blake Mitchell was the dumbezt qb weve ever had. I still remember Spurrier sending him to speech therapy because you couldnt tell wtf he was saying.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT