ADVERTISEMENT

Pac-12 players threatening to boycott season if list of demands aren't met for 2020

If they are playing on a scholarship, they signed a letter of intent to play. If they renege, then bye-bye scholarship.

I see no problem with any covid concerns, but the university should vote on an individual basis for covid concerns, not any blanket coverage. Scholarships are assigned individually.

If they want 50/50, does that include 50/50 of debt?

Good. They have a lot of power, time to use it.

Some things they want, like health insurance after for a time might be doable. Same for COVID stuff, which the schools were probably already planning. But 50/50 revenue sharing? The NCAA would disqualify them all, they would be professionals. There is no point in playing games that are forfeited and TV revenue probably won't be paid if they are.

Reactions: Cola G'Cock
Some things they want, like health insurance after for a time might be doable. Same for COVID stuff, which the schools were probably already planning. But 50/50 revenue sharing? The NCAA would disqualify them all, they would be professionals. There is no point in playing games that are forfeited and TV revenue probably won't be paid if they are.

Negotiations
Negotiations

your first offer isn’t your last. You shoot for the moon first.

Then you would have to pay medical students doctors salaries- law school students lawyers salaries and so forth...... Your in school and wether or not you move on to the next level in dependent on your skills and talent

Reactions: mikeypen
Well they aren't going to get even 1/99 revenue sharing without disqualification. It is a silly thing to ask for and makes them look stupid. If not stupid, then naive.

I disagree.

Can’t ever get if you don’t ask.

20 years ago the idea of a player getting paid a monthly stipend would be considered loony tunes crazy. Today it’s reality.

I disagree.

Can’t ever get if you don’t ask.

20 years ago the idea of a player getting paid a monthly stipend would be considered loony tunes crazy. Today it’s reality.

They are negotiating with the Pac 10 who has no control over NCAA rules. It is like negotiating with your employer and demanding your wages be tax free. That is IRS, your employer has no control.

Reactions: bucketdad
I'd invite them to leave in a heartbeat. Like someone else said, there are plenty of other athletes that would be happy to step into their spot. These entitled athletes are killing amateur sports.

Reactions: FORKCOCK
If they don't want to play, cut their scholarships. They are not professional athletes, they are student/athletes. Do they really want to talk about the advantages they have/given over the regular student? Their scholarships are worth probably over $80,000/year, yet they feel they need more? Go kick rocks if you don't want to play.

The old saying comes to mind "biting the hand that feeds you", I can live without college football until I take my last breath. Do I want to? Not really, Can I, and will I? You're damn right I can..

Agree!!

The chances of receiving a division one football scholarships are very remote. There are only about 125 division one programs, and each has 85 scholarships. That means there are roughly 10,000 scholarship division one football Players out there. With roughly 1.5 million high school players, the odds are less than 1%.

I am sure the other 99% would fill in just fine. If they don’t want the higher education that comes with the scholarship then give it to someone who does.

Reactions: importcock
Interestingly, I read about this a few days ago but I don't see it being mentioned on any of the major sports sites.

There is another group of entitled people in this, that’s the parasitic bureaucrats at the NCAA. You know, the ones who did absolutely nothing to UNC, did not seem to care about ostarine, etc. Actions like this from the PAC-12 players could lead to the NCAA actually doing their job someday.

A FREE college education, including all food, lodging, tuition, books, tutoring, and now a stipend is worth well over $75,000 a year at USC. Much more at some private schools like Duke and Notre Dame. Tuition at both of these universities is a little over $53,000.

I'm sure my Mom, God rest her soul, would have loved having my USC degree paid for by someone other than her! Too bad I was only a good athlete, not a great one!!

Reactions: GivEmDaSpurs
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT