ADVERTISEMENT

Parking meters

I don't think so (atleast the spaces around the CLA aren't), but they have an app now where you can pay the meter from your phone before it expires.

fyi since we are on the subject- parking at 5 points in NOT free on Saturdays...I saw a meter guy writing tix after tix a couple weeks ago,and started scrambling for quarters. I dont remember having to pay for parking on Saturdays in the past down there.. I guess it helps free up spots for shoppers, so no one hoards spots. Or just another way to bilk the taxpayer.

Imo there shouldn't be ANY parking meters around CLA (or any other campus access street) unless the proceeds go directly to the USC General Endowment Fund and/or the Development Foundation (we can always use more money to purchase more land).

fyi since we are on the subject- parking at 5 points in NOT free on Saturdays...I saw a meter guy writing tix after tix a couple weeks ago,and started scrambling for quarters. I dont remember having to pay for parking on Saturdays in the past down there.. I guess it helps free up spots for shoppers, so no one hoards spots. Or just another way to bilk the taxpayer.
It's also a good way to ensure that retail shoppers go to the malls out in the suburbs. There are dying downtowns all across America wondering what they can do to turn their streets into retail and dining hubs, but one of the first things they do when things start to turn around is put in parking meters. Nobody likes to do their shopping while worrying about a clock. It's been a while since I've been to Columbia, but I assume none of the shopping centers in the Harbison area have put in parking meters, right?

went to the State swimming meet at the Natatorium not long ago and they were not only ticketing cars but towing those parked illegally. We ended up parking in a metered space and I fed enough quarters into that thing to cause the post to bend under the weight. I didn't get tickets or towed but it cost me the price of several beverages to park.

A few Saturdays ago we parked at a bank near the campus...and walked. The bank was not open on Saturday. We were hoping that our car would still be there and no ticket...it was. (The traffic was so bad...we couldn't find any closer place to park.)

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT