ADVERTISEMENT

Pass the time question. OT

In the Sixties, the one that mystified me - and I believe its chart unfitness will stand for all time - was "Puff the Magic Dragon". I dare anybody to beat that. It was #1 for two weeks in 1963 on the Billboard chart.

Great song, dang it.

King, are you aware of the double meaning in that song? Some said they're referring to smoking pot, or so I've heard... Puff, Jackie Paper..
Yes, I've read up on it, including the fact that the songwriters and artists repudiate it. I don't put this in the same category as Lucy in the Sky With Diamonds.

Any Madonna song.
If you don't like Madonna as an artist, Ok I get it she's not for everyone.
But Pappa Don't Preach is a pop masterpiece. The protagonist realizes she is in a very bad situation. As the lyric states, she knows it will not be easy and that sacrifice will be necessary however she is steadfast "Im Keeping my baby". So she is asking for her father to restrain from the "I told you so" and to support her decision to keep the baby and to raise it as best she can wether she marries the father or not.
It's intelligent lyrics with a classical chord progression. This is what pop music should aspire to be.

Reactions: rogue cock
If you don't like Madonna as an artist, Ok I get it she's not for everyone.
But Pappa Don't Preach is a pop masterpiece. The protagonist realizes she is in a very bad situation. As the lyric states, she knows it will not be easy and that sacrifice will be necessary however she is steadfast "Im Keeping my baby". So she is asking for her father to restrain from the "I told you so" and to support her decision to keep the baby and to raise it as best she can wether she marries the father or not.
It's intelligent lyrics with a classical chord progression. This is what pop music should aspire to be.
Didn't care for that one though it runs through my head every now and then. I liked her early poppy stuff: "Material girl" and "Get into the groove". Most of her music I can do without.

Reactions: ShannonL
For some reason I’ve forgot to mention the Judd’s.i was a teen in the 80s and couldn’t stand them as a group..I was a big hank jr fan and he had a song around 2-3 at the time and the Judd’s was right behind him.the next week they jumped him to go to #2 and his never made it to #1..since then I hated anything Judd’s..the mom looked ok tho..

For some reason I’ve forgot to mention the Judd’s.i was a teen in the 80s and couldn’t stand them as a group..I was a big hank jr fan and he had a song around 2-3 at the time and the Judd’s was right behind him.the next week they jumped him to go to #2 and his never made it to #1..since then I hated anything Judd’s..the mom looked ok tho..
I was never crazy about their music either, but I can tell you that Wynonna is one of the nicest, most down to earth, cool chicks I ever met. I was working in studios in Nashville back in the mid-90's and would run into her all the time at this convenience store. Love that woman. She was so laid back and cool and nice. No pretense whatsoever.....

My God, we have a Philistine among us

Haha! Nope, just a different ear for music. I’ve realized over the years that I really don’t like many of the Beatles’ songs. For the most part, I really don’t like Elvis either. And I can’t stand country music or AC/DC or Jimi Hendrix. Again, just a difference of opinion from, in all likelihood, most on this board.

GO COCKS!

Shannon
USC ‘88

When I was a teenager, didn't like backstreet boys, nsync, or any of the other boy bands. Can't stand any of Katy perrys music now.

As far as a song that sticks out to me one that puts the health of my radio at risk is every Christmas when they have to play Mariah Careys "all I want for Christmas is you."

Haha! Nope, just a different ear for music. I’ve realized over the years that I really don’t like many of the Beatles’ songs. For the most part, I really don’t like Elvis either. And I can’t stand country music or AC/DC or Jimi Hendrix. Again, just a difference of opinion from, in all likelihood, most on this board.

GO COCKS!

Shannon
USC ‘88
ParchedHarshEider-size_restricted.gif

100%. And I loathe Let it Be. And Let's Get It On by Marvin Gaye. And anything by Phil Collins, Pearl Jam or The Smiths. I could go on and on but suffice to say, I probably don't have a lot in common, musically speaking, with most of the folks on here. (as reference... born in '66 in Columbia)

GO COCKS!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT