ADVERTISEMENT

Past time to go back to the ACC

The door won't be open for any team until and unless Notre Dame gets in there with both feet. Then they would need to take another school to even up the divisions, provided they are still using the divisional system when that time comes. That time is not at hand.
OZ has spoken.

Reactions: king ward
I'm going to have to disagree with you there. We don't add any value to expansion of TV sets in even in our own state with Clemson already a presence.
I could see a school like Cincinnati looking more lucrative for reasons as a footprint into the Ohio landscape in regards to TV exposure in both football and basketball. And before anyone goes ballistic about what I just proposed keep in mind if expansion ever occurs again, the bottom line will be about extra exposure.
They need big state flag ship institutions: I can see them wanting us, UGA & UF....they on the other hand other than UNC and UVA have private and agriculture schools...I think they would much rather the 3 mentioned...nothing to do with TV more than prestige of have Flagship institutions like the BIG 10....I don't see UNC or UVA wanting to be a part of the SEC so I would give a kidney, to have NC State and Va Tech...

ND will eventually join a conference. They need to play in a conference, compete for a conference championship, etc., due to the CFP. JMO, obviously, and that would change if/when the CFP goes to 8 teams.

If ND chooses to join a FB conference, the ACC is in a good position to recruit them, since ND already plays 5 games a season against the ACC. There would have to be some concessions to allow them to maintain most of their national rivalry games, perhaps also allowing them to keep their relationship with NBC (or at least an independent TV contract), etc.

If (huge IF's, I know) all of that happens, SC may want to consider jumping.
The natural place for ND, the one that makes the most geographic sense, is the Big 10. But there's some sort of ND resentment in that league, so evidently the ACC would have the inside track, as strange as it seems - something to do with academics, they say.

Reactions: SCExile
Personally, think it's a terrible idea. The money alone is reason enough to stay in the SEC. I never quite understood this to be honest. Other than the past few years, we have played the ACC pretty well historically. Also, we are very competitive in all of the other major sports in the SEC. Would we make a bowl game every year in the ACC? Probably. We wouldn't be nearly as banged up all the time (although injuries seem to follow Muschamp everywhere). I just don't think there is any benefit there to be honest.
We don't have any rivalries in the SEC, however badly we want them. But when we played UPC or any of the Tobacco Road schools that aren't Wake Forest, the hatred was real in all sports. That's what my younger brethren never got to experience, and hence, can't understand. But it will never happen now. It's whimsy. But many of those contests were easy to drive to and involved pretty road trips and passionate confrontations, in football and basketball. They resented our trying to get better by bringing in McGuire and Dietzel but that only added to it. Leaving was the biggest blunder any school ever made. Even if some of them hated us, they never were going to kick us out. We had the best football fanbase in the league at that time.

I'm going to have to disagree with you there. We don't add any value to expansion of TV sets in even in our own state with Clemson already a presence.
I could see a school like Cincinnati looking more lucrative for reasons as a footprint into the Ohio landscape in regards to TV exposure in both football and basketball. And before anyone goes ballistic about what I just proposed keep in mind if expansion ever occurs again, the bottom line will be about extra exposure.
I understand that point of view. It is probably correct but not necessarily. For one thing, we could make the move without paying ransom to the SEC. But I'm a realist, and I can't foresee it.

If it could be tied with ND, then I think the ACC would be very eager.

(I don't favor this, just to be clear. But SC & ND? That would be a big win for the ACC, IMO.)

Well... ND would be a big win for the ACC... SC? Not so much. Just another poor to mediocre team in a poor to mediocre conference.

The ACC doesn't want USC back even for nostalgic reasons.
I think USC tried to rejoin in the late 70s or early 80s and they didn't even want us back then.
At least they were nice about it and instead of saying publicly we don't want you they made the re-entry terms so drastic that USC had no choice but to say no.

The only university in the nation that owns the record for not one but two of the stupidest decisions in college athletics-dropping out of the ACC and firing Jim Carlen
Hmmm.... Just thought of a third and fourth giving AD position to RT and hiring WM.

The ACC doesn't want USC back even for nostalgic reasons.
I think USC tried to rejoin in the late 70s or early 80s and they didn't even want us back then.
At least they were nice about it and instead of saying publicly we don't want you they made the re-entry terms so drastic that USC had no choice but to say no.

The only university in the nation that owns the record for not one but two of the stupidest decisions in college athletics-dropping out of the ACC and firing Jim Carlen
Hmmm.... Just thought of a third and fourth giving AD position to RT and hiring WM.

lol. Leaving the ACC was the best move USC ever made.

The natural place for ND, the one that makes the most geographic sense, is the Big 10. But there's some sort of ND resentment in that league, so evidently the ACC would have the inside track, as strange as it seems - something to do with academics, they say.
I agree that is the natural place. And, there is some historical resentment. Some years ago, there was a rejection. I forget which way it went, but I'm thinking it was ND asking about joining the Big 10 and the Big 10 was not interested. This was just before all the conference expansions started.

However, since ND joined the ACC in basketball (and most other sports) but not football (but play 5 games a year in the ACC), ND has also joined the Big 10 in men's ice hockey. So, apparently, things have been patched up, at least a little.

The ACC has more schools that are compatible academically and socially with ND (e.g. Duke, Boston College) than does the Big 10, but they have a number of historical rivalries with several Big 10 schools.

Reactions: king ward
We would have to take a look at the total picture, I don’t want to gain a couple of football wins if it will ultimately hurt our other programs like women’s basketball, baseball, and Equestrian.

Reactions: bucketdad
We would have to take a look at the total picture, I don’t want to gain a couple of football wins if it will ultimately hurt our other programs like women’s basketball, baseball, and Equestrian.
I don't think you would have to worry. Well. Equestrian might suffer.

I agree that is the natural place. And, there is some historical resentment. Some years ago, there was a rejection. I forget which way it went, but I'm thinking it was ND asking about joining the Big 10 and the Big 10 was not interested. This was just before all the conference expansions started.

However, since ND joined the ACC in basketball (and most other sports) but not football (but play 5 games a year in the ACC), ND has also joined the Big 10 in men's ice hockey. So, apparently, things have been patched up, at least a little.

The ACC has more schools that are compatible academically and socially with ND (e.g. Duke, Boston College) than does the Big 10, but they have a number of historical rivalries with several Big 10 schools.
I think it was the 1920s that ND was interested in the B10 but from what I read because of the anti-catholic sentiment in the B10 at that time they said no and ND has been POed since and I think the B10 made overtures to ND a few years back but ND would not let bygones be bygones and is still POed about the rejection and wasn't as interested as the first time. The B10 is the natural home for ND and would push their recruiting and fan interest over the top.

Full membership in the ACC would degrade ND back to FSU and Va Tech and Miami territory.

...Full membership in the ACC would degrade ND back to FSU and Va Tech and Miami territory.
I disagree. ND recruits nationally. Being a full member of the ACC wouldn't hurt them at all. Well, it might hurt the tendency of the media / polls to constantly overrate them, so there is that.

I also disagree with your implication that being in the ACC was the cause of the decline in FSU, Miami, VT... those schools all had separate issues.

Reactions: Harvard Gamecock
I disagree. ND recruits nationally. Being a full member of the ACC wouldn't hurt them at all. Well, it might hurt the tendency of the media / polls to constantly overrate them, so there is that.

I also disagree with your implication that being in the ACC was the cause of the decline in FSU, Miami, VT... those schools all had separate issues.

Specifically bad coaching hires.

Seriously? I truly believe Clemson fans are embarrassed with the lack of competition they face in the ACC. If I want to watch a high school football game, I'll go watch a high School football game.

I've never met any Gamecock fan under 60 years old who thinks we should join the ACC.

Put it to a fan vote and ACC would win because old people vote. Look at Brexit. All the old Brits gave the youngsters a big ‘ol mess as their parting gift.

One division title in just under 3 decades. League refs that screw us every chance they get. Sure the "SEC money" is great but what is getting us, more embarrassment and frustration? Yes fire the football coaching staff and A.D. , but beyond that, I think this is needed too.
Do you realize how stupid you sound. There is no way in the world would i want to return to the ACC.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT